Brunfelsia pauciflora

5 posts in this topic

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow --Brunfelsia pauciflora (syn. B. calycina floribunda)-- is blooming heavily in SoCal now. This species is by far the most common one grown in CA, but is relatively uncommon in Florida. Coming from southern South America, it blooms better where nights are cooler, and it dislikes strong alkalinity. Unlike the similar, Florida-common B. grandiflora, B. pauciflora is very fragrant, day as well as night.

DSC07180-1.jpg

DSC07182-1.jpg

DSC07183.jpg

I love that plant, and believe it or not, I planted one in the garden here in zone 7b and it has always come back each spring. However it doesn't bloom, and I am not sure if its because it dies back each winter and/or its in too much shade.

kahili--They seem to bloom most on older wood, but good to hear that they're root-hardy that far north. Maybe you could mound up some soil or mulch to try to save some previous year's branches and get some blooms?

Up until now,maybe because I am always so shocked that it comes back every year, that I think thats as good as it gets.....lol But I should transplant it into a really sun area and fertilize it and see what happens. Sun is a wonderful tool when growing as is fert and maybe this plant just needs that-at least for starters. The older wood may be too tough with our winters unless we have another winter like this past one, but too many times we get down to 18 degrees at least a few times and I think that it would be hard to protect for that without building a plastic cage and heating inside or something along those lines. But I might-I do really like this plant-esp the scent. Thanks for posting a pic of it-its a good incentive for me to do something!

Kahili, try a brunie as an indoor plant.

They take much dryer conditions than you'd expect, and if you can keep the wood, it might well bloom for you.

Worth the trouble!