IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

who on the forum is growing Dypsis Sahanofensis ?

trioderob

That depends. Are you talking about the big palm that was sold as Dypsis sahanofensis and also called 'Jurassic Park,' or the real D. sahanofensis? :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I have a real sahanofensis. It looked so delicate, I didnt think it will live at my place but it has thrived and the trunk is a never ending palette of colour. Grows quite quickly too.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Sounds nice, Peachy, can we get a pic of that never ending palette of color? :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I was not aware that Dypsis sahanofensis was in cultivation. There have been at least two different palms from seed labeled as sahanofensis that are not the true species (the most recent turned out to be Dypsis hiarakae). Would love to see a photo Peachy, maybe you aussies got lucky and got the real deal.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I used to have a couple of small plants and I beleive they are now gone. Must check.

Anyways, for those of you that own a copy of Field Guide To The Palms of Madagascar, you can look on page 108 and see a good picture of one. On my trip in 2006 we traveled and hiked to many places of which one area was Mt. Vatovavy. We spent the entire day climbing all the way to the top and then back down. It was extreamly rich in palm species. I remember seeing D. basilonga up near the top, D. trapezoidea and Masoala kona. Among many others. And actually the gentleman in the picture is Guy, who was very knowledgable in identifying many of the palm species of Madagascar and who traveled along with us to different areas of the island. We did see very limited plants of this specie and very few seeds were ripening at the time. I do remember seeing a couple of large plants in the 15' range with very slender stems.

I would consider this specie extreamly rare in cultivation.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff-

very interesting.

saw that palm in the POM book and was wondering because it came from higher elevation....... :blink:

the other palm I was interested in was the Masoala kona.

any info on that one too ?

interesting sections in the very back of that book.

Edited by trioderob

Jeff-

very interesting.

saw that palm in the POM book and was wondering because it came from higher elevation....... :blink:

the other palm I was interested in was the Masoala kona.

any info on that one too ?

interesting sections in the very back of that book.

Masoala kona is a very slow palm in Hawaii, along the same lines as Voaniola. If it would make it in SoCal, I think it's one to plant for your grandkids to enjoy.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Interesting thread, all along I thought I had a couple of D. sahanofensis, but after reading through a couple of reference threads I guess I don't.

It seems I have D.hiarakae, which I love anyway, it's a beautiful smallish palm which I acquired as D. sahanofensis a couple years back.

I also bought a small palm labeled as Masoala kona and again, it turns out it's really Masoala madagascarensis. Very slow, but looks ok. I forget I have it

most of the time. My Voanioala is much faster.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii