IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone have experiences flying with their pets?

fastfeat

I'm moving back to SoFla from SoCal in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to decide if I want to risk flying with my 14 y/o, 35lb now-deaf dog, or whether I should just buy a cheap, POS car and make the four day drive. She's never been in the cargo hold of a plane, and I'm very concerned about her freaking out. I can probably spend the extra cash to afford a nonstop (about 7hrs LAX or SNA to MIA or FLL), and weather isn't too hot yet.

Does anyone have any experiences (good, bad or ugly) with any specific airlines?

Thanks in advance.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

14 years old would be like putting your grandmother in the cargo hold of a plane.......drive. Your dog will thank you for it. :) You can always sell the car for what you paid.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

When we moved back to the mainland from Hawaii, we brought a dog and a cat. We didn't have a choice but to put the dog in cargo but we did sedate the dog, which I think is standard practice when flying a dog in cargo? Talk to your vet about what he/she thinks. Our dog was young, but I would think that the fact that your dog is almost deaf would work in his favor here-the engines etc won't affect him as much.

I'm moving back to SoFla from SoCal in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to decide if I want to risk flying with my 14 y/o, 35lb now-deaf dog, or whether I should just buy a cheap, POS car and make the four day drive. She's never been in the cargo hold of a plane, and I'm very concerned about her freaking out. I can probably spend the extra cash to afford a nonstop (about 7hrs LAX or SNA to MIA or FLL), and weather isn't too hot yet.

Does anyone have any experiences (good, bad or ugly) with any specific airlines?

Thanks in advance.

Is your dog relatively comfortable for that time in a crate? If she has separation anxiety or just isn't used to a crate then expect a major panic attack. If she considers a crate her room and feels secure that makes a huge difference. If you choose to fly, consult with your veterinarian about sedatives. If your vet suggests them, always try them out at home as doses vary with the individual and an unobserved senior dog on new medication would be a poor choice. Factor in the cost of a vet visit for a health certificate required if you fly. As a veterinarian,I write many health certificates, but all the certification process is interested in is whether your pet will spread diseases to other pets or people. It does NOT certify that a pet is actually healthy.

Cindy Adair

Thanks in advance.

Is your dog relatively comfortable for that time in a crate? If she has separation anxiety or just isn't used to a crate then expect a major panic attack. If she considers a crate her room and feels secure that makes a huge difference. If you choose to fly, consult with your veterinarian about sedatives. If your vet suggests them, always try them out at home as doses vary with the individual and an unobserved senior dog on new medication would be a poor choice. Factor in the cost of a vet visit for a health certificate required if you fly. As a veterinarian,I write many health certificates, but all the certification process is interested in is whether your pet will spread diseases to other pets or people. It does NOT certify that a pet is actually healthy.

She is comfortable in a crate, but she was abandoned as a youngster, and she goes through a lot of anxiety last few times I've boarded her. And she's become very clingy lately, as her hearing went in the last few months.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to drive. I'm not legal to drive in CA, but it's only 4hrs to the border...

Thanks all for your input.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Just think how you would feel if things didn't work out as planned - then decide.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes