This house is blow your mind

26 posts in this topic

skywave house

This house is next door to a friend of mine in Venice, CA and it's finally done after many years of construction. The neighborhood is eclectic, with a few really nice, modern houses sitting right next to old run down beach bum bungalows, or rusty corrugated front fences hiding the occasional meth lab tweeker pad. Sorta like Ocean Beach for those of you who are in San Diego. This house is on a regular, small urban lot no more than 40 foot wide.

Here's some pics of the neighborhood in the background. Hardly the place for mansions. You can actually see the skywave house in the background of the shot with me in it. It's just west of Lincoln, on Indiana.

post-126-072920200 1332796512_thumb.jpg

post-126-095614000 1332796516_thumb.jpg

post-126-025131400 1332796521_thumb.jpg

Matt,

That's an absolutely amazing house and very impressive design and construction. I am curious about privacy - with those floor-to-ceiling windows, and presumably neighbors close by, any idea how they deal with that? Or maybe they like to be on display at night? :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

its like a human fish tank

what is this thread about? i dont get it. :huh:

Yeah, the spacing between houses is no more than 15 feet in this neighborhood. From my friend's 2nd story you can see right into the skywave house. They have a bamboo hedge out front for privacy and from the old pic I'm looking at I think they have Cypress trees on at least one side.

Very nice house, thanks for sharing. I love architecture!! :drool:

I love the modern architecture and furnishings, but it looks like a window washer's nightmare. :mrlooney:

I'm imagining the damage my great dane could do with a few drooly head shakes.

what is this thread about? i dont get it. :huh:

you're always on my case about not making sense and not being able to spell right and I finally put together a thread with some right werds and now you "don't get it?" I can't win!@!!!!!!!! :rant:

Butt ugly!!!

Yuck, no thanks.

Nice truck, the rest SUCKS!

Matty,

It's a rad pad for sure. But have you seen the "portobello house" in corona del mar...google it. This is the pad of all pads. I could win tomorrows mega millions lottery for 300$ million and not be able to keep that house. I think they want like $85-$90 million for the house, but can u imagine property taxes on a 90 million dollar house! Ouch!

That house would be incredible in the middle of a 10 acre palm jungle. It would create the impression of living outdoors since every view would be continuous into the palm jungle. The true genius behind its design would be apparent to all. However, reading that its on a 40' wide lot, all I can think is what a waste of material. What views are there? Why all the glass when all you have to look at is a wall or rooftops of other homes?

Wunderbar !! I love it. My poochies boys would have a great time rubbing their snotty noses over all that glass too. Bo, who needs privacy ? If ya got it, flaunt it. :P

Peachy

To each his own on the subject of that Olivetti-ish house. But on the subject of prices...those little houses in the first two pictures, and those around them, all about 900 sq ft, are valued on Zillow between $800,000 and a million each. All in proximity to that most beauteous of thoroughfares, Lincoln Blvd. Don't worry, if you're thunderstruck at the prices, the bars on the windows throughout the neighborhood and the often overcast skies enhance the overall effect. Take a stroll on Google street view down Indiana Ave and environs and you'll be hooked...Welcome to beautiful Venice, California! (And truly, it is sad, when you consider the original vision for that city...when it was its own city.)

I like it. Shoulda built it here with my 75' wide front space.. :)

It might be a neat house to visit but I would not want to live there. It looks more like a sales pitch for an avant garde architect.

I don't like it. I love glass and lots of natural light but I don't care for modern architecture or furniture. To me it is cold and uncomfortable. It doesn't look inviting.

And there is the privacy issue. We live on a big lot - over an acre - and we've planted lots of vegetation so that we don't worry about privacy. I don't like window coverings.

Just seems a big waste of money.

Matty,

It's a rad pad for sure. But have you seen the "portobello house" in corona del mar...google it. This is the pad of all pads. I could win tomorrows mega millions lottery for 300$ million and not be able to keep that house. I think they want like $85-$90 million for the house, but can u imagine property taxes on a 90 million dollar house! Ouch!

Ok you win, that house is amazing, yep I could live there. I really could not imagine living in something that large, it would be like living in a hotel by yourself. Here is a youtube tour

Ground Control to Major Tom? What a Space Odditiy...

Matt- What happened to the beard? Everybody seemed to be digging it.

Swim up bar!

I love the modern architecture and furnishings, but it looks like a window washer's nightmare. :mrlooney:

Or a good day for a glass salespersson.

dk

Butt ugly!!!

I agree! Give me the small house, big yard over vice versa, ANYDAY!

wOW, great house for a stoner dude . . .

Or Billy Joel . . .

(No no no no no . . . Jew had to bee a beeg shot, deen't'choo?)

i wonder if the owner throws rocks? then we can finally see if the "people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones" is true...