Boswellia sacra

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John in Andalucia

John in Andalucia

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I bought 500 seeds from a guy in Arizona who farms Boswellia. Germination rates are notoriously low, ranging between 1% -10%. Started germinating mine in earnest a couple of weeks ago, and so far have one sprout out of 150 seeds sown. I'm wondering if that's my lot, or whether this was just one super-vigorous seed that sprouted early.

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 John in Andalucia

John in Andalucia

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

The Frankincense will be a long time coming, although growth rate is pretty good. Not in the least sluggish. If I get 5 or 6 plants out of 500 seeds, I'll be lucky. Now I know why mature plants are soooo expensive!

Here's a shot of my one, precious little sprout with about 3 weeks growth.

Boswellia sacra
Boswellia sacra.jpg

#3 Pedro 65

Pedro 65

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,342 posts
  • Location:Mt Warning Caldera Nth NSW Australia. Ave rainfall 2mtrs

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

John, add a little Gold and Myrrh and your a wise man. :)
Good Luck with its growth, is it true that the viability of these seeds are a few days or 2 weeks at the most?
off topic..Hows your "Lavoixia" doing? Pete

#4 John in Andalucia

John in Andalucia

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

Pete - I was informed that seed viability is good between harvests. Germination rates will no doubt vary during that time, but they are notoriously difficult to germinate. 1% was the low figure quoted. 6-8% would be considered exceptional. They sprout quite fast if they're in good shape, which takes some of the pain away. I would sow a pot of 20 seeds, and if nothing after 3 weeks, stick another 20 seeds in the same pot.

Sadly, my Lavoixia carked. Well, that's what I'm led to believe. It's in Peru and I'm in Spain, but apparently, no new growth and what growth there was brown-tipped back to the stem. I'll double check all this later, but it doesn't look encouraging.

#5 Pedro 65

Pedro 65

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,342 posts
  • Location:Mt Warning Caldera Nth NSW Australia. Ave rainfall 2mtrs

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Pete - I was informed that seed viability is good between harvests. Germination rates will no doubt vary during that time, but they are notoriously difficult to germinate. 1% was the low figure quoted. 6-8% would be considered exceptional. They sprout quite fast if they're in good shape, which takes some of the pain away. I would sow a pot of 20 seeds, and if nothing after 3 weeks, stick another 20 seeds in the same pot.

Sadly, my Lavoixia carked. Well, that's what I'm led to believe. It's in Peru and I'm in Spain, but apparently, no new growth and what growth there was brown-tipped back to the stem. I'll double check all this later, but it doesn't look encouraging.

John, Good Luck with the rest of your Frankincense, and what a bummer re Lavoixia but your technique has certainly given a lot of future help to enthusiasts / collectors and anyone who cares for the environment to maybe grow this Rare Gem from seed now with some confidence.

#6 Charles Wychgel

Charles Wychgel

• IPS MEMBER
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Good luck with the Boswellia seed John, you're quite a versatile seed germinator

I've killed my B.sacra when I planted it outside in not such a good spot, it did not have rocks around it to store heat and drainage was not on par either

Hopefully better luck with B.ameero and B.nana, last one is even showing a flower

Boswellia ameero
Boswellia ameero.jpg

Boswellia nana
Boswellia nana.jpg
Boswellia nana flowering
Boswellia-nana-flowering.jpg
Charles Wychgel
Algarve/Portugal
Sunset zone 24

#7 John in Andalucia

John in Andalucia

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the photos, Charles. Posted Image The climate here is good, so I'm expecting mine to adapt into young plants without too much trouble. I shan't be planting out though. I want to see this one thrive in the greenhouse this summer!

#8 apaandssa

apaandssa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I bought 500 seeds from a guy in Arizona who farms Boswellia. Germination rates are notoriously low, ranging between 1% -10%. Started germinating mine in earnest a couple of weeks ago, and so far have one sprout out of 150 seeds sown. I'm wondering if that's my lot, or whether this was just one super-vigorous seed that sprouted early.

This Boswellia is still on my plant wish list where it's been for at least 20 years... Great to hear of your success! Please continue to post as more germinate and they grow up!
Cindy Adair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users