IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Boswellia sacra

John in Andalucia

I bought 500 seeds from a guy in Arizona who farms Boswellia. Germination rates are notoriously low, ranging between 1% -10%. Started germinating mine in earnest a couple of weeks ago, and so far have one sprout out of 150 seeds sown. I'm wondering if that's my lot, or whether this was just one super-vigorous seed that sprouted early.

• 3 weeks later...

The Frankincense will be a long time coming, although growth rate is pretty good. Not in the least sluggish. If I get 5 or 6 plants out of 500 seeds, I'll be lucky. Now I know why mature plants are soooo expensive!

Here's a shot of my one, precious little sprout with about 3 weeks growth.

Boswellia sacra

post-1155-080765700 1334228416_thumb.jpg

John, add a little Gold and Myrrh and your a wise man. :)

Good Luck with its growth, is it true that the viability of these seeds are a few days or 2 weeks at the most?

off topic..Hows your "Lavoixia" doing? Pete

Pete - I was informed that seed viability is good between harvests. Germination rates will no doubt vary during that time, but they are notoriously difficult to germinate. 1% was the low figure quoted. 6-8% would be considered exceptional. They sprout quite fast if they're in good shape, which takes some of the pain away. I would sow a pot of 20 seeds, and if nothing after 3 weeks, stick another 20 seeds in the same pot.

Sadly, my Lavoixia carked. Well, that's what I'm led to believe. It's in Peru and I'm in Spain, but apparently, no new growth and what growth there was brown-tipped back to the stem. I'll double check all this later, but it doesn't look encouraging.

Pete - I was informed that seed viability is good between harvests. Germination rates will no doubt vary during that time, but they are notoriously difficult to germinate. 1% was the low figure quoted. 6-8% would be considered exceptional. They sprout quite fast if they're in good shape, which takes some of the pain away. I would sow a pot of 20 seeds, and if nothing after 3 weeks, stick another 20 seeds in the same pot.

Sadly, my Lavoixia carked. Well, that's what I'm led to believe. It's in Peru and I'm in Spain, but apparently, no new growth and what growth there was brown-tipped back to the stem. I'll double check all this later, but it doesn't look encouraging.

John, Good Luck with the rest of your Frankincense, and what a bummer re Lavoixia but your technique has certainly given a lot of future help to enthusiasts / collectors and anyone who cares for the environment to maybe grow this Rare Gem from seed now with some confidence.

Good luck with the Boswellia seed John, you're quite a versatile seed germinator

I've killed my B.sacra when I planted it outside in not such a good spot, it did not have rocks around it to store heat and drainage was not on par either

Hopefully better luck with B.ameero and B.nana, last one is even showing a flower

Boswellia ameero

post-37-014961100 1334394799_thumb.jpg

Boswellia nana

post-37-082627100 1334394887_thumb.jpg

Boswellia nana flowering

post-37-030333800 1334395357_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Thanks for the photos, Charles. smilie.gif The climate here is good, so I'm expecting mine to adapt into young plants without too much trouble. I shan't be planting out though. I want to see this one thrive in the greenhouse this summer!

I bought 500 seeds from a guy in Arizona who farms Boswellia. Germination rates are notoriously low, ranging between 1% -10%. Started germinating mine in earnest a couple of weeks ago, and so far have one sprout out of 150 seeds sown. I'm wondering if that's my lot, or whether this was just one super-vigorous seed that sprouted early.

This Boswellia is still on my plant wish list where it's been for at least 20 years... Great to hear of your success! Please continue to post as more germinate and they grow up!

Cindy Adair