IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hong Kong

realarch

I was actually kind of surprised to see so many palms in Hong Kong after a visit there last month. In fact most of the landscaped boulevards used palms rather extensively.

It was cold the week we were there with the high temps usually 18c or mid 60's. It felt like San Diego on those cool cloudy days. Anyway, here are a few shots of the city.

post-1300-040797400 1332639479_thumb.jpg post-1300-084257400 1332639519_thumb.jpg post-1300-013341400 1332639532_thumb.jpg

Livistona I presume. They were pretty common.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-041778900 1332640197_thumb.jpg post-1300-062849200 1332640211_thumb.jpg post-1300-050363400 1332640214_thumb.jpg

Looked like a group of Archontophoenix alexandrae and some Royals. Some of them looked pretty spindly.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-015779600 1332640453_thumb.jpg post-1300-089197400 1332640455_thumb.jpg post-1300-043192500 1332640458_thumb.jpg

Livistiona in front of an old colonial bldg. Kowloon park, and it looks like a lone Trachy making a go of it.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-095786800 1332640670_thumb.jpg post-1300-094518300 1332640681_thumb.jpg

Looking down from Victoria peak on the one and only somewhat clear day we had while there. In the first pic, center right, it looked like a naturalized stand of Alexander's. The second is a closer shot.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The buildings were incredible and the city seemed like one big shopping mall. Crowded, vibrant, clean, and very dynamic. Interesting place and definitely worth a visit if you're in that part of the world.

post-1300-018715100 1332641080_thumb.jpg

The building on the left is something like 106 stories and the two residential towers are around 75 stories.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Now that's my kind of town. Thanks for posting Tim, I haven't been to good ole Honkers since I was a kid. (and that wasnt yesterday)

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

wonderful shots! hope i get to explore HK some day. so far i've only been in the airport :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Very exciting to see these photos after hearing you talk about your trip. Quite a city!!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Tim,

Thanks for posting the photos. Hong Kong is definitely a fascinating city and they must have cleaned it up since I was there many years ago! "Clean" is not how I remember it! :mrlooney: And interesting that it was so cool. The latitude of HK is almost identical to Kauai. They are both at 22 North but Kauai is just slightly further south (I think!).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Great pics, Makes me want to visit. Never even thought of Hong Kong as a palm place. Those buildings are huge!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

• 3 years later...

The common palm in HK
Archontophoenix alexandrae

Chrysalidocarpus lutescene

Roystonia regia

Phoenix roebelenii

Livistona Chinensis

Syagrus romanzoffiana

You can go to CUHK (The Chinese University of Hong Kong) to look at those Livistona Chinensis near the College Lake

post-4600-0-90159700-1439052420_thumb.jp

Chayote, post more pictures of the Big HK.

(Please?)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

is it that cold in HK that people are walking around in jackets???(post #4)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.