IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to achieve a gracefully arched triple

tropicalpalms

I am planning to plant, among others, a King Palm *triple*. I've seen adult triples that are arched excessively (rather more horizontal stems at the bottom, then arching vertically), and others where each stem is almost vertical from bottom to top. I went to the nursery and asked for a triple, they said why don't you just plant three singles next to each other. (They had singles and triples.) I want to start with a plant ca. 5 ft tall. Here are my questions: (1) is it preferable to buy a triple from the nursery, or buy singles and plant them close together; (2) in the latter case, how far apart would you recommend planting the singles to achieve a "gracefully arching" effect later in the adult stage (not too excessive, but moderately arching). In particular, when I start with small root balls or even with a triple potted by the nursery in a small pot, what will happen when the root balls and lower stems grow in thickness. Will the root balls and lower stems "drift apart" over time in the soil, when initially planted very close together, to give space to each other? Sorry, hope my question makes sense and I'm not over-engineering ;)

Edited by tropicalpalms

I personally think it is best to find a triple that already has what you are looking for rather than try your luck with creating one. Here in south Florida, triples of most species are only a little more expensive than doubles or singles -- certainly nowhere near three times the price of a single of the same size.

The stems in a triple typically do not drift apart as they grow. Rather, they increase in diameter and begin "growing together" at the base.

Jody

Here's the uncomplicated answer. Buy 3 King Palms, as large as you can find them, with none to very little woody trunk, and plant them 12" apart on centers.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

You can get them all set up but then they can end up growing at different rates. I had a triple of Carpies, probably got to 8 - 9 metres tall. But termites got one first and then the others. I have a double of Carpies now, beautiful symmetry. They'd be just about 10 metres tall. That's the advantage of doing it with Carpies, they grow so fast.

I bought my triple 10 years ago and they were planted three in a row very close together. At the time, I didn't realize how it would turn out but am very happy with how the arched out really nice. Typically I see them planted in in a triangle pattern but perhaps the three in a row is the way to go

8fab35e4.jpg

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Thanks Don,

your triple looks great! Do you remember if they were planted all three 'vertically' at the beginning, or the outer two already slightly tilted? And how far apart they were planted at what size? I see you have another small one coming on the left side. any other examples as data points would be welcome (if anybody remembers how theirs were planted). thanks again!

Thanks Don,

your triple looks great! Do you remember if they were planted all three 'vertically' at the beginning, or the outer two already slightly tilted? And how far apart they were planted at what size? I see you have another small one coming on the left side. any other examples as data points would be welcome (if anybody remembers how theirs were planted). thanks again!

I got it as the first trunk rings were just starting it appear. The palms on either side may have been initially planted slightly at an angle but most of the curve I believe is due to when the trunk on the center palm thickened forcing the outer palms to curve. They were fairly close together, maybe just a matter of inches. The smaller palm to the left is an A. Maxima and the trunk you see just behind and slightly left of the center palm is a Caryota gigas/obtusa. I'll try and find a picture of them just after I planted them

USDA Zone 10a

here is a picture of the triple kings shortly after I planted them in June of 2001, and another one a couple of years later. As you can see they are planted fairly close together but over time developed the nice curve in the trunks. At the time I got them, I had no idea how they would turn out but I was after the same look. I was just getting started in planting my palms but just happened to find the right triple at one of the local nurseries

c0019f2d.jpg

11021300.jpg

USDA Zone 10a

As matt said just plant them close together before they have a trunk (rootball touching if you like), they will lean away from one another as the trunks swell and develope. I did this with five Roystonia and it works vey nicely and in no time at all.

Some palms have an annoying habit of not arching nicely, these are best planted in three heights so the effect is still good. Im not sure of all the ones that don't arch but Livistonia chinensis in my experience doesnt, not very nicely anyway, they sort of grow straight outwards no curve (not very nice) then the tops turn upwards slightly, a bit awkward looking. If they are spaced wider apart they look OK.

If you want that nice arch on a single, plant three at a time then remove two after about ten years ha haha, will look like a coconut palm.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

here is a picture of the triple kings shortly after I planted them in June of 2001, and another one a couple of years later. As you can see they are planted fairly close together but over time developed the nice curve in the trunks. At the time I got them, I had no idea how they would turn out but I was after the same look. I was just getting started in planting my palms but just happened to find the right triple at one of the local nurseries

c0019f2d.jpg

11021300.jpg

I love the before and after pictures. Nice transformation in only 10 years.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

As matt said just plant them close together before they have a trunk (rootball touching if you like), they will lean away from one another as the trunks swell and develope. I did this with five Roystonia and it works vey nicely and in no time at all.

You planted a 5 set of Roystonea? Sounds pretty epic. I'd love to see a pic if they are still around.

If it looks anything like these... WINNING!

regia03.jpg

Grant
Long Beach, CA

here is a picture of the triple kings shortly after I planted them in June of 2001, and another one a couple of years later. As you can see they are planted fairly close together but over time developed the nice curve in the trunks. At the time I got them, I fhad no idea how they would turn out but I was after the same look. I was just getting started in planting my palms but just happened to find the right triple at one of the local nurseries

c0019f2d.jpg

11021300.jpg

I love the before and after pictures. Nice transformation in only 10 years.

Thanks grant, when I planted my first few I had no idea that soon the palm bug would take over

You planted a 5 set of Roystonea? Sounds pretty epic. I'd love to see a pic if they are still around.

If it looks anything like these... WINNING!

regia03.jpg

Like the Charlie Sheen reference, a grouping of five Royals would have tiger blood For sure :mrlooney:

Would love to see a picture of them

USDA Zone 10a

Some palms have an annoying habit of not arching nicely, these are best planted in three heights so the effect is still good. Im not sure of all the ones that don't arch but Livistonia chinensis in my experience doesnt, not very nicely anyway, they sort of grow straight outwards no curve (not very nice) then the tops turn upwards slightly, a bit awkward looking. If they are spaced wider apart they look OK.

If you want that nice arch on a single, plant three at a time then remove two after about ten years ha haha, will look like a coconut palm.

... wouldn't that look odd, the coconut without the beach?! Maybe I should follow Cedric's advice, plus compact my heavy clay soil in the adjacent flower bed to hold water and create the illusion of beach after a downpour. Would save me the stop-and-go on interstate 10 from downtown to the westside ;)

Edited by tropicalpalms

Thanks for all replies and the instructive pics. This is such a great forum. One thing that's hard to tell from the pics is if the centers of the trunks actually also drifted apart, or just tilted. If I buy a small pot from the nursery with an existing triple of Kings very close together, one might conclude that they later need to arch 'excessively' apart (rather than 'gracefully', so to speak). I saw one adult example in town that I didn't like that much. I just wanted to avoid that outcome... of course this my theory may be completely wrong, and the initial distance may be irrelevant.

On another note, further studying Don's picture, I realize it may be really attractive to plant them not in a symmetrical triangle, but (at least to some extent) in a line. It appears the height of the middle, straight one will be higher, the crowns at different heights, thus potentially creating a better / denser filling of the 'airspace' vertically with green stuff.

Edited by tropicalpalms

Can you just lay a pot on its side for a few years until the crown starts to turn upwards to achieve a radical 90 degree curve?

Grant
Long Beach, CA