IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wierdest/coolest bromeliads

JD in the OC

Nice broms Luis!

Did you find them in Spain? Where?

salut. :rolleyes:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Yes, kenny, looks like Mend. It needs more light for the pink to come out more. In shade it will lose pink, like most aechmeas

kenny, judging by the serration on the leaf edges you've got 'Mend'.

Thanks for the input Gonzer, I have noticed on here that you are very brom knowledgable :D

I have a photo just taken of my plant labelled A. "mend" with my mystery Aechmea to the right (the mystery Aechmea has changed colour again due to me puting it in a more shaded position..this plant has changed colours many times since I have had it!)

post-6412-032024600 1334445202_thumb.jpg

post-6412-087130700 1334445307_thumb.jpg

Do you still think these are the same variety?? This much or type of variation is something that I have never known to occur in my time with bromeliads?

The colours on both plants are totally opposite from each other... ie the "mend" has green on the inside of the leaf and and pinkish / white on the outside, while the mystery one has the colour on the inside and the green on the outside.

I have seen plants labelled as A. luedemanniana var. "peaches and cream" but this is the only other A. leudemanniana I have ever seen or heard of apart from the ones i mentioned earlier?

Cheers

Dont know if that is P&C, P&C has a bit more variegation in the center, and even with the lack of sun in yours mine looked somewhat different, it needs more sun in either event...cool plant tho!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Yessiree Rusty, Dennis has a nice plant there. The coloring of the inflorescence is what sets it apart from other fasciculata cultivars/hybrids. Those spreading types of Tillandsias take up a lot of space since the leaves aren't really geared for bending, unlike other genera.

Just one of many introductions by the Cathcarts, they have made their mark on broms for certain, Gonzer!

Tropiflora is a pretty cool place, a short drive from here.

Thought i would show a pic of the species and CV side by side....it really shows the difference in size.

Rusty

post-110-099487700 1334702635_thumb.jpg

Rusty Bell

Thought I would add this one and I promise to quit after this :mrlooney:

This is Aechmea 'Friederike', a CV of A. 'Fascini, a cross of A. Chantinii and A Fasciata.

Rusty

post-110-036825100 1334702970_thumb.jpg

post-110-064010000 1334703008_thumb.jpg

Rusty Bell

Not very weird or cool...but good colour is Aechmea sp..... Billbergia Hana Hou is cool though. :)

post-5709-017567900 1334722905_thumb.jpg

post-5709-027399500 1334723766_thumb.jpg

Do you still think these are the same variety??

No I don't Ken because if you'll notice the varigation is reversed. I'm not a big Aechmea guy so I don't want to give a bad guess.

Rusty, thanks for the comparison photos, that's what is needed to really appreciate that plant.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few I would like to add:

Bromeliads008.jpg

Neoregelia 'Tangerine'

NeoregeliaBarcelona.jpg

Neoregelia 'Barcelona'

NeoregeliaTreasureChest.jpg

Neoregelia 'Treasure Chest'

Edited by Joe_Pin