IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floridians beware

SubTropicRay

29 to 30 at a lot of weather stations in north port and port charlotte FL areas. I think there are a couple IPS members from that area. Any frost/freeze reports?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Only down to 38F here, the same as the night before. There was a wide range of predicted temperatures depending on the source, from 31-37.

Alan, how cold has your Jakfruit tolerated? We planted one here at Leu Gardens  in spring 2000 and it is about 20ft now. Back in Jan 2003 we had 27F and it made the leaves fall off and it lost a few inches off the top but that was it.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(Trópico @ Jan. 30 2007,07:30)

Warmer than forecasted, I estimate about 38ºF. Moderate frost (car, roof). I should have left more stuff outside.

I'm glad we all can say this instead of the alternative. I woke up at 5:00am and it was 42f. I don't believe I got below 40 at all.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Here's what our local paper had on the front of it this morning.......

post-57-1170164508_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(ruskinPalms @ Jan. 30 2007,08:08)

29 to 30 at a lot of weather stations in north port and port charlotte FL areas.I

I saw that too Bill.

I am guessing that the clouds didnt make it down there?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

As usual, it looks like St. Pete Albert Whitted AP was the warm spot at 46F, with the Clearwater AP not far behind at 44F.

Even Vandenberg AP in a notorious cold pocket out east only dropped to 35F.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

My temps just like the previous morning, 47 at the house 45/44 around town. I pulled all my ultra-tropical seedlings into my storage room last night. Looks like they can go back poolside today  :)

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Not the greatest rebound in temps today due to layer of clouds. Only back to 55 so far. I can't complain though as these clouds saved me last night. And they are welcome to stick around for tonight too.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I have a theory...........if I cover everything in blankets it doesn't freeze. Not that I am complaining (just coming to grips with this new found power over the elements).

It didn't freeze here, although it was heading that way quick last night...........THANK YOU CLOUDS!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 30 2007,08:41)

Here's what our local paper had on the front of it this morning.......

They must of printed before the lows came in. Slow down yuzguys.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

hi all,

I am glad we all got spared by this one I got down to 43. There was allot of dew and that was about it lets hope thats it and spring can come back. I ready for the 90's LOL

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Eric, 2003 it was 6 ft tall or so, but I built a "shelter" around it, measured only 32+-1F under it, last year it had ice on it and did not like it at all.  Look at the my photobucket page -ashobert.

I measured 31F or so under the tree last year -no trouble except the icy top part mentioned prior.  Only iced leaves defoliated, some small branch damage - very minor.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Whewwww ::big sigh of relief::

We touched 40, but that was it.  Neighbors saw our big blue tent-thing and were inspired to cover some of their plants, but down the street, no one covered the foxies, bottles, adonidia or the beautiful large-ish lutescens.

Now I see that Pinellas Park only got down to 43 - we're usually warmer than PP, wonder what happened to my microclimate  ???   Sheesh, we got down to as low as Orlando, hm, whazzup wit dat?

The blue tent has been taken down, but I still have over 50 plants in my house - great to have 'em in here where I can enjoy them :D

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

The blue tent has been taken down, but I still have over 50 plants in my house - great to have 'em in here where I can enjoy them  

Even though it's alot of work to move them around, Sunny.. It's better to be safe than sorry.... I do the same thing in late October when the temps start dropping, before I put up my greenhouse... You can't walk in the living room -but it looks cool :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

I got all worked up for nothing.  A whopping 40F is all that it dropped to here.  Thanks heaven for a nice deck of cirrus clouds.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I got all worked up for nothing.  A whopping 40F is all that it dropped to here.  Thanks heaven for a nice deck of cirrus clouds.

Ray

I was worried thinking about your stuff last night, Ray... Thank god it only dropped to 40... I just can't wait till these next few weeks are over and the averages start going up...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS