IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are the weirdest? rarest? or most unusual plant you grow?

Palm crazy

or have seen in someones else's garden?

For me is would be JBxQ, which isn't really that rare anymore, but I like to get something really cool this year that's really special.

Maybe a (hardy) blue poppy that will comeback every year....More beautiful than rare in this case.

Not my photo.

poppies_closeup3.jpg

The weirdest plant I have is are young Lancewood. Pseudopanax crassifolius

Not my photo.

IMG_0313.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ahh, Meconopsis. Proof-positive that gorgeous plants don't grow exclusively in subtropical and tropical regions...:winkie:

or have seen in someones else's garden?

For me is would be JBxQ, which isn't really that rare anymore, but I like to get something really cool this year that's really special.

Maybe a (hardy) blue poppy that will comeback every year....More beautiful than rare in this case.

Not my photo.

poppies_closeup3.jpg

The weirdest plant I have is are young Lancewood. Pseudopanax crassifolius

Not my photo.

IMG_0313.jpg

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Cool plants...Here's the weirdest flower I grow, which is also the easiest.

DSC00014-3.jpg

This one is more beautiful and unusual. I killed it last spring when the shovel split the bulb in half.

DSC00054-1.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

A great assortment! ThumbsUp.gif The Pseudopanax is downright spooky looking. I'd say half of my Tillandsia collection might rate as rare and unusual...but not creepy looking like thaticon_lmao.gif

A great assortment! ThumbsUp.gif The Pseudopanax is downright spooky looking. I'd say half of my Tillandsia collection might rate as rare and unusual...but not creepy looking like thaticon_lmao.gif

Yeah they are kinda creepy in that photo! :rage:

Up-close they're really beautiful and leaves are 2' + long on younger plants.

They wouldn't grow in S.Cal, to dry.... :lol: Heck, they only grow spring and fall here.

Here one from me, show the color better. Some leaves have an orange margin down the middle. And others have what look like paint dabs of green on the leave tips.

These two types are growing right next to each other. I have to get more.

DSC00039.jpg

• Like 1

Weirdest - maybe my Freycinetia.

Rarest - multiple Encephalartos species, Clivia mirabilis, Opuntia corallicola, and a bunch of other things.

Strangely beautiful seed pod cluster on a plant thought to be extinct in the wild and is still rare in cultivation.6793806341_1ae6cf188c_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Randall - what is it ?

It's my Deppea splendens.

Great and weird . What's the rest look like? Will it grow in S Fla?

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

The aroids seem to have the most unusual flowering. Some that I've flowered at home.

post-4226-097544400 1332500478_thumb.jpg

post-4226-025130000 1332500605_thumb.jpg

And some of the gingers aren't too far behind.

post-4226-019104500 1332500711_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think the weirdest/oddest plant of all time is Welwitschia mirabilis. It grows in the Namib Desert of SW Africa and can live for hundreds of years. Some are claimed to be over 1000 years old. They only grow 2 leaves their entire life and the often split at the base giving it the appearance of more than 2. They are a gymnosperm and their closest relatives would be pines. They are a primitive "living fossil".

post-231-050632900 1332510826_thumb.jpg

post-231-044946100 1332510851_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Helwingia chinensis, from southern China. They are epiphyllous meaning the inflorescences grow from the leaves

img_1709.jpg

img_1711.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Great plants! My weirdest flower would be the passion fruit flower.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Does the fungus that grows in my fat wrinkles count?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Does the fungus that grows in my fat wrinkles count?

Yes, yes it does. greenthumb.gif Happy growing!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I think the weirdest/oddest plant of all time is Welwitschia mirabilis. It grows in the Namib Desert of SW Africa and can live for hundreds of years. Some are claimed to be over 1000 years old. They only grow 2 leaves their entire life and the often split at the base giving it the appearance of more than 2. They are a gymnosperm and their closest relatives would be pines. They are a primitive "living fossil".

Ah! So the goverment's been lying to us about Roswell!

Helwingia chinensis, from southern China. They are epiphyllous meaning the inflorescences grow from the leaves

What is it called when a leaf sprouts a miniature leaf? :)

Plumeria "Mini Me":

PlumeriaMiniMe.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Ah! So the goverment's been lying to us about Roswell!

Yes they have !!!!!!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Aristolochia fimbriata.

Photo is not mine:

Aristolochia fimbriata

Jason

• Upvote 2

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Randall - what is it ?

Here it is in full bloom last August . I'm not sure how they would do in S. Florida as they're originally from a cool mountain cloud forest in southern Mexico. For me here in San Diego

they seem to tolerate the summer sun and heat planted against the north side of my house. I don't know if anyone has tried growing them there, it might be worth a try in a sheltered

shady location or even as a house plant..

6057726459_3d54097f8f_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Very odd plant, indeed. Easy to germinate... but difficult to grow.

Jody

I have not gotten a single seed to germinate - and I've tried four times. Has anyone else tried ?

There are a few at the Copenhagen Botanical Garden - awesome plants.

Edited by santoury

I have not gotten a single seed to germinate - and I've tried four times. Has anyone else tried ?

There are a few at the Copenhagen Botanical Garden - awesome plants.

Here's one in Washington.

plant

Cyrtosperma johnstonii is another lasioid aroid that I grow in fish tanks and it is a crazy-looking plant.

12-iv-10-cyrtosperma-johnstonii-i-m.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I have so many rare, weird things, here are a few.

i like unusual colors of flowers, here is a yellow Butea monosperma, I have 3 (at least) trees that bloomed like crazy this year.

post-1216-027157700 1335144160_thumb.jpg

Also the white variety of Erythrina crista-galli As a side, I self pollinated the yellow Butea and have 3 pods & crossed the white with the red Erythrina, Not sure much will become of either, but I tried.post-1216-099427300 1335145587_thumb.jpg

I also have Wercklea ferox. Huge 12" plus green, rough, spiny laeves with red veins and petioles.post-1216-036049800 1335145645_thumb.jpg

Lastly, this is a supposedly recently discover vine, it was very hard to get, and I've only seen it ] reffered to was the Golden Leaved Liana. The new leaves are amazing, it is finially getting big and is very pretty.post-1216-093608200 1335145674_thumb.jpg.

Others aren't blooming right now so not much to look at right now.

David

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

david

Randall - what is it ?

Here it is in full bloom last August . I'm not sure how they would do in S. Florida as they're originally from a cool mountain cloud forest in southern Mexico. For me here in San Diego

they seem to tolerate the summer sun and heat planted against the north side of my house. I don't know if anyone has tried growing them there, it might be worth a try in a sheltered

shady location or even as a house plant..

6057726459_3d54097f8f_b.jpg

I have been growing this in Florida for about 6 months, so far so good

Edited by popper1
  • Upvote 1

david

• 5 years later...

I think the motto of my tough little Butea monosperma is: "Never give up. Never surrender." I had given up hope personally that it was still alive after overwintering it indoors, but I just noticed today it's regenerating outside on my patio where I had "abandoned" it to the elements. Now if I can just protect it from insects...:unsure:

Butea_monosperma.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

I think the motto of my tough little Butea monosperma is: "Never give up. Never surrender." I had given up hope personally that it was still alive after overwintering it indoors, but I just noticed today it's regenerating outside on my patio where I had "abandoned" it to the elements. Now if I can just protect it from insects...:unsure:

Butea_monosperma.png

I imagine it is pretty rare and hard to find in USA. Does look tropical when in bloom. 

• Upvote 1

Weird?.. while the total combination of plants in my own could be called weird/ rare/ uniquely unusual for local conditions, perhaps the oddest thing I have come across lately is a strange edible from  Southern Baja.. a tree that resembles Pachycormus discolor, but produces a fruit that has been described as A: sweet tasting, B: somewhat tart.. bordering on bitter, perhaps. Or, C: somewhat tart, finishing with a "Buttered Popcorn-ish" flavor. Seeds, also considered edible in moderation, supposedly taste like Coconut.. In Spanish it is sometimes called Ciruelo cimarron.

Cyrtocarpa edulis, another strange caudiciform member of the Cashew family from Baja Sur. Supposedly cold tolerant to the mid/ high 20s but likes heat and is dormant, like Bursera sp., in the winter. Produces Yellow, Plum- like fruit in the mid to late summer. The tree also allows some degree of its leaves to yellow at this time in an apparent attempt to confuse birds attracted to the fruit. ..and here we thought Boojums were among some of the strangest things to come from the "other"  California.

Acouple pictures of the pair.. picked up one a few weeks back. Had to grab another on a recent trip back to Tucson. Plant has been described as both mono and dioecious, yet bearing both male and female flowers on the same tree by various sources of info. Whatever the case, it's always better to have a pair (or more) of specimens to increase the odds of getting such strange fruit/ seed. Enjoy.

20170609_153930.thumb.jpg.65f6616a353087

20170609_154037.thumb.jpg.83e68184cf771c

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

I imagine it is pretty rare and hard to find in USA. Does look tropical when in bloom. 

Yes, these plants are not very commonly offered online (except for the seeds), but apparently Top Tropicals has them on sale right now for $19.95/3-gal. size: https://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=Butea_monosperma But I would advise any buyer be aware they are more challenging that Erythrinas, at least in my experience.

• Upvote 1

I have a  Browneopsis ucayalina  growing in my yard just north of Hilo. Its one of the "handkerchief" trees that have those drooping leaves, but the new leaves on this species are speckled. The red speckling lasts a few days.

brown.jpg

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, Pando said:

For me it's this one.

AaVdvxq.jpg

That is some blackish leaves, what the heck is it? Very cool. 

• Upvote 1