IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms wanted for SEQld

NApalm

Palmsters,

I've been sourcing palms from Palms for Brisbane and Utopia but what does a guy do when palms that you're hunting aren't available??? Order seed and start germinating? Basically i'm asking if there are any other suppliers around this area that i'm not familiar with??? IPS members ofcourse.. Any tips would be appreciated

Palmsters,

I've been sourcing palms from Palms for Brisbane and Utopia but what does a guy do when palms that you're hunting aren't available??? Order seed and start germinating? Basically i'm asking if there are any other suppliers around this area that i'm not familiar with??? IPS members ofcourse.. Any tips would be appreciated

what are you chasing?

Get ready y'all, here we go...

Lemurophoenix halleuxii

Dictyocaryum lamarckianu

Dypsis pilulifera

Pritchardia thurstonii

Pinanga caesia

Areca macrocalyx

Archontopheonix myolensis

Oraniopsis appendiculata

Hydriastele wendlandiana

Phew, I've found TNQ palms and enquired there too, but these guys are awful elusive.

Edited by NApalm

• 2 months later...

I see Pritchardia thurstonii currently listed as available as seedlings at PFB. No idea for the rest unfortunately. Bring your list to a Brisbane PACSOA meeting and maybe someone could point you in the right direction.

PFB has one small P. thurstonii left, just pushing its second leaf. I bought one of the two in 75mm tubes, but don't know how well it will perform as it is so small and showing signs of not handling the cooler weather well. I'll have a look again in the spring when they start to get some new stuff in.

I did have a chance encounter with a Copernicia fallaensis while there checking, so the trip was worth it :) Some of the larger plants were 20-40% off.

I often have to get seeds when nothing I want is available here. You can try Equatorial Exotics in Cairns (Chris and Arden Dearden) who have a good range of hard to find things. Rosebud Farm at Kuranda also sell online and sometimes have rare species on their list. Also keep a close watch on ebay as there are a couple of people on there who sell rare palms regularly. Eric I live in the coldest part of Brisbane with regular freezes in winter but P. thurstonii grow fine here. A really cold winter will leave them looking yellow but they soon recover again once it warms up. P. Becarriophoenix is just as pretty ( prettier I think) and very cold hardy and a rapid grower. One for you to think about.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Sorry for my late response guys, it's been a while since i checked this topic, but i'm glad i did! Thanks for your feedback. I was looking at grabbing some seed for some of this hard to find stuff as a last resort. Last week i happened to stumble across a website with some growers in NQld including Equitorial Exotics. Thanks heaps for the tip off. I'll probably start probing in spring.

In regards to the P. thurstonii, i had a look last time i was at pfb and couldn't find them. Eric, did you spot them in the tubestock section? It's interesting what you say Peachy about the P. thurstonii handling the cold out at Ipswich. Gives me a hope for a planting in a fairly exposed position. I'm looking at those P. Becarriophoenix as we speak (or should i say type) and i like what i see. Cheers again guys

If you find any P.beccariana on your travels let me know!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Sorry for my late response guys, it's been a while since i checked this topic, but i'm glad i did! Thanks for your feedback. I was looking at grabbing some seed for some of this hard to find stuff as a last resort. Last week i happened to stumble across a website with some growers in NQld including Equitorial Exotics. Thanks heaps for the tip off. I'll probably start probing in spring.

In regards to the P. thurstonii, i had a look last time i was at pfb and couldn't find them. Eric, did you spot them in the tubestock section? It's interesting what you say Peachy about the P. thurstonii handling the cold out at Ipswich. Gives me a hope for a planting in a fairly exposed position. I'm looking at those P. Becarriophoenix as we speak (or should i say type) and i like what i see. Cheers again guys

I meant pritchardia beccariana oops. Cant even say its a blonde moment because I am a red head this week. I can let you have a small P. thurstonii and a beccariana if you want to send a PM.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 2 weeks later...

The P. thurstonii was in the tube stock. I didn't see it the next time I was in, so it may have been gone by then.

Give me 1-5 years and Ill have all these available so Greg can easily source these species, also in case the ICON import requirements ever change. I keep getting told of the shortage of rare palm species. My P.beccariana died.

Kris, I think it will take me that long until i find some of these guys. BUT, i should say the list is dwindling, thanks to all the helpfull people on here! As they say, palm people are good people.