IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

R. xerophylla

Gonzer

Years ago, back in the days of Palm Mountain, I bought a liner of this palm even though the label said 'Dypsis xerophylla'. This dude in front of me is scopin' it out rather closely and 'sez "Plant it in shade and let it grow through the canopy". That "dude" was Mardy! Well, I took it home and potted it up in a 10 gallon and after 10 years it still just sat there, giving me the skunk eye. Maybe 1 leaf every two years although it does have a nice heel. So, damn the torpedos today. I uncorked it out of the pot and right in front of me was the fattest, obscene looking root I ever did see. Now I've never heard that this was a palm to be planted ASAP in the area where it was intended to stay. What's the biggest size one has grown in a pot?

DSC_14571280x857.jpg

Gonzer

I posted this picture a few months back of my xerophylla but here it is again. It is sitting in a 24 " box with 8 foot leaves. It will go into the ground next month when my landscaping project is complete.

post-1262-024898800 1332094043_thumb.jpg

Greg.

Sun, sun, sun

sun

sun

and some more sun

EVEN at that age and size.

Sun

did I forget Sun ?

And as long as it drains well, they will take a fair amount of water too.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

SUN!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

And, worship the GREAT GOD RA!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Dalion, I missed it before.

SUN!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

And, worship the GREAT GOD RA!

Sun, sun, sun

sun

sun

and some more sun

EVEN at that age and size.

Sun

Jeez, I can take a hint guys! lol_hitting.gif

The only one I ever saw make progress outside here was in full shade! I think the sandy loam had a lot to do with it though.

The only one I ever saw make progress outside here was in full shade! I think the sandy loam had a lot to do with it though.

Rich, my soil is the same as we live in an ancient flood plain. It faces due west and will receive full afternoon sun in the Winter and Spring. When the Plumerias leaf out, and depending on how I prune them, more direct sun can be had during the hot months.

Jose, i was just looking at yours and for some reason i almost would bet those were at one time from the Palm Mountain Nursery..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Years ago, back in the days of Palm Mountain, I bought a liner of this palm even though the label said 'Dypsis xerophylla'. This dude in front of me is scopin' it out rather closely and 'sez "Plant it in shade and let it grow through the canopy". That "dude" was Mardy! Well, I took it home and potted it up in a 10 gallon and after 10 years it still just sat there, giving me the skunk eye. Maybe 1 leaf every two years although it does have a nice heel. So, damn the torpedos today. I uncorked it out of the pot and right in front of me was the fattest, obscene looking root I ever did see. Now I've never heard that this was a palm to be planted ASAP in the area where it was intended to stay. What's the biggest size one has grown in a pot?

No picture of the mamma jamma root? :huh:

DSC_14571280x857.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Just to show that there's hope for this species. The pic shows one that I planted from a one or two-gal pot in October 2010. One-gal bucket is for scale. Full sun and buckets of rain here in east Hawaii. It has put out at least two bigger leaves.

post-279-022863100 1332272923_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

No picture of the mamma jamma root?

Sorry Moosy, didn't get one. It was about 6" long, an inch wide with a bulbous tip. Very obscene looking.