Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

R. xerophylla

12 posts in this topic

Years ago, back in the days of Palm Mountain, I bought a liner of this palm even though the label said 'Dypsis xerophylla'. This dude in front of me is scopin' it out rather closely and 'sez "Plant it in shade and let it grow through the canopy". That "dude" was Mardy! Well, I took it home and potted it up in a 10 gallon and after 10 years it still just sat there, giving me the skunk eye. Maybe 1 leaf every two years although it does have a nice heel. So, damn the torpedos today. I uncorked it out of the pot and right in front of me was the fattest, obscene looking root I ever did see. Now I've never heard that this was a palm to be planted ASAP in the area where it was intended to stay. What's the biggest size one has grown in a pot?

DSC_14571280x857.jpg

Gonzer

I posted this picture a few months back of my xerophylla but here it is again. It is sitting in a 24 " box with 8 foot leaves. It will go into the ground next month when my landscaping project is complete.

post-1262-024898800 1332094043_thumb.jpg

Greg.

Sun, sun, sun

sun

sun

and some more sun

EVEN at that age and size.

Sun

did I forget Sun ?

And as long as it drains well, they will take a fair amount of water too.

SUN!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

And, worship the GREAT GOD RA!

Thanks Dalion, I missed it before.

SUN!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

And, worship the GREAT GOD RA!

Sun, sun, sun

sun

sun

and some more sun

EVEN at that age and size.

Sun

Jeez, I can take a hint guys! lol_hitting.gif

We have two in pots that are as large as Dalion's in our shadehouse.

Jody

The only one I ever saw make progress outside here was in full shade! I think the sandy loam had a lot to do with it though.

The only one I ever saw make progress outside here was in full shade! I think the sandy loam had a lot to do with it though.

Rich, my soil is the same as we live in an ancient flood plain. It faces due west and will receive full afternoon sun in the Winter and Spring. When the Plumerias leaf out, and depending on how I prune them, more direct sun can be had during the hot months.

Jose, i was just looking at yours and for some reason i almost would bet those were at one time from the Palm Mountain Nursery..

Years ago, back in the days of Palm Mountain, I bought a liner of this palm even though the label said 'Dypsis xerophylla'. This dude in front of me is scopin' it out rather closely and 'sez "Plant it in shade and let it grow through the canopy". That "dude" was Mardy! Well, I took it home and potted it up in a 10 gallon and after 10 years it still just sat there, giving me the skunk eye. Maybe 1 leaf every two years although it does have a nice heel. So, damn the torpedos today. I uncorked it out of the pot and right in front of me was the fattest, obscene looking root I ever did see. Now I've never heard that this was a palm to be planted ASAP in the area where it was intended to stay. What's the biggest size one has grown in a pot?

No picture of the mamma jamma root? :huh:

DSC_14571280x857.jpg

Just to show that there's hope for this species. The pic shows one that I planted from a one or two-gal pot in October 2010. One-gal bucket is for scale. Full sun and buckets of rain here in east Hawaii. It has put out at least two bigger leaves.

post-279-022863100 1332272923_thumb.jpg

No picture of the mamma jamma root?

Sorry Moosy, didn't get one. It was about 6" long, an inch wide with a bulbous tip. Very obscene looking.