RarePalmSeeds

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

The IPS has issued the expected revised "Terms of Service" - Effective Immediately - Please read more in an explanatory topic HERE.

NEW "TERMS OF SERVICE"

Photo

Ordering palms

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hey guys and gals just ordered some palms from Floribunda and was curious what everyone does when they receive their order. Do you automatically repot them into a larger pot and soil mixture? Do you leave them in the container which they've been growing in for awhile? Maybe some place them in a greenhouse where some place under filtered light outdoors to acclimate them. Just curious and see what I may do when I receive them. Thanks

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Mike in Kurtistown

Mike in Kurtistown

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Jeff's plants are shipped bare-rooted with a little moss to keep the roots damp. You need to get some damp soil around the roots as soon as possible, so pot them up.
Mike Merritt
Big Island of Hawaii
Windward, rainy side

#3 apaandssa

apaandssa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

The four inch pot size I usually receive in the pot, with the smallest seedlings and the gallons sent bare root. Of course I try to time it so all sizes go in the ground within a week or two of receipt and they do great. Yes, that means I plant even the tiniest bare rooted seedlings directly in the ground. I figure that if I pot all of them up and then have to unpot them to transport them to our farm when they are larger I'll have to stress them more than just planting them immediately. If I lived in Puerto Rico now I know it would be better to let them get bigger before planting so my circumstances aren't typical. Enjoy your new palms!

Cindy Adair

#4 Jastin

Jastin

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

I plant as much as possible as soon as possible (depending on the size). 2 years ago I left my whole order in the tin foil for 6 months, watering whenever I thought of it and they were all fine. I have never ordered the seedlings but I would pot those up asap. If I don't plant them I put them in the place they will be planted or place them in the specific plant sun requirements location.
Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

#5 1000shadesOFgreen

1000shadesOFgreen

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

I have never ordered plants from the internet, but am increasingly finding it difficult to find some of the species I am interested in growing. Of course I could order them from Floribunda but have always had reservations about shipping such small, fragile specimens. Do you always receive your plants in good health, or can some be expected to not make the trip?

I'm also curious about shipping costs. What could I expect to pay (estimate) to ship x-number of 1 gallon plants to Southern California? Any shared personal experiences would be appreciated.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

#6 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,093 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Plant them as soon as you can

In soil, in pots, out of the sun, out of the wind, watered well

PM me if you have to

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

#7 Jastin

Jastin

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have never ordered plants from the internet, but am increasingly finding it difficult to find some of the species I am interested in growing. Of course I could order them from Floribunda but have always had reservations about shipping such small, fragile specimens. Do you always receive your plants in good health, or can some be expected to not make the trip?

I'm also curious about shipping costs. What could I expect to pay (estimate) to ship x-number of 1 gallon plants to Southern California? Any shared personal experiences would be appreciated.

I have never had even one broken leaf from Jeff at Floribunda, and I have about 60 palms from him. If there were any he would want to know so he could makes things right. For a one gal plant that is about $6.50 you can expect to pay around 4-5 for shipping. You cant go wrong with a $11 one gal that is the size of a small california 5 gal (depending) in my opinion. Even if it dies (which is rare in my experience) your only out $11.

#8 1000shadesOFgreen

1000shadesOFgreen

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

I have never had even one broken leaf from Jeff at Floribunda, and I have about 60 palms from him. If there were any he would want to know so he could makes things right. For a one gal plant that is about $6.50 you can expect to pay around 4-5 for shipping. You cant go wrong with a $11 one gal that is the size of a small california 5 gal (depending) in my opinion. Even if it dies (which is rare in my experience) your only out $11.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was really hoping that's what I would hear. Looks like its finally time to put in an order...

Grant
Long Beach, CA

#9 Peter Pacific

Peter Pacific

• IPS MEMBER
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Everytime I have received plants from Floribunda they have been absolutely perfect. I would not hesitate, not even a second, before placing an order with Jeff Marcus.

Order away and enjoy your palms! Peter
Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

#10 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks guys everything I've always got has been in tip top shape, but just was curious if u poted them planted them and what not thanks for the input I think I'll plant them all out and give shade cloth or a type of protection to those that need it

#11 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,093 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

DippyD:

I've ordered literally thousands of plants from Jeff over the years, and they're always top notch.

Proper treatment is essential for success however.

Plant them as soon as you can in pots of basic potting soil. No need to get fancy. If you have about a dozen plants, a big bag or two from Home Depot or LOwe's is fine. (I used to use Supersoil.) If you want, you can add perlite, but you don't have to do that. If it's a lot, there are places to buy it in bulk.

I usually put 4" size plants in 1 gallon pots, 1 gallons into 2 gallon pots. If they were shipped in the pots, I usually put the rock they came with into the new pots.

Keep the newly planted plants in the shade, and well-watered, but not sodden. Most important of all, keep them out of the sun and the wind, even for tough, sun-loving plants. I water them about a couple times a week to start, then once a week after a couple of weeks. IF it gets really dry and windy, it might be necessary to water them every day.

HOLD OFF ON FERTILIZERS AT THE BEGINNING. That's my opinion; some people love to use Miracle-gro, but if you do, don't use too much.

Most palms will root into your pots in about a month or two. Don't be in a huge hurry to put them in the ground. I've found it takes AT LEAST six months before you can plant them in the ground. Slower plants can take much longer.

Don't get all mad at yourself (or Jeff) if you lose a plant or two, or three. That's par for the course, alas. Even after 15 years of doing this, I still kill a few.

What plants did you get? Tell us! Or, even better show us in a picture.

We'll all coo over your new babies!

We are here to help you and your plants spread palmniness everywhere.

Dave

#12 Palmlover

Palmlover

• IPS MEMBER
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

I love Floribunda! Excellent selection of palms. I put them in pots right away with palm/catus mix. Keep it in shade and protected from the wind.

#13 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Doomsdave

Thanks for the info sounds like you have done it once or twice, here's a list of what I ordered from jeff. Some may be a tough grow and might not even grow but seemed like I would give it a shot. At least once.

He hasn't shipped them yet I'm hoping they go out this week if not the. Next...

Dypsis ambositrae, dypsis marojejyi, d. Malcolmberi, D. sp. bef, D. Sp. betefaka and D. Sp dark mealybug.

I'd be curious if anyone has tried all these in SoCal and which might be more tough to grow than others and pictures are always a bonus.

#14 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,093 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Doomsdave

Thanks for the info sounds like you have done it once or twice, here's a list of what I ordered from jeff. Some may be a tough grow and might not even grow but seemed like I would give it a shot. At least once.

Dypsis ambositrae, dypsis marojejyi, d. Malcolmberi, D. sp. bef, D. Sp. betefaka and D. Sp dark mealybug.

I'd be curious if anyone has tried all these in SoCal and which might be more tough to grow than others and pictures are always a bonus.

DippyD:

I've ordered and gotten, and grown all of what you say, and they grow here.

Yazzah!

Malcomberi is a bit slow, but they all grow
away they go

Grow grow

#15 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Well I'm excited cant wait to get them I'll post photos when I get the little guys.

Does the dark mealybug grow faster than malcomberi?

Also I've tried looking at old post for photos of sp betefaka and dark mealybug and I just get confused with people saying this is the one you got a year ago, this is what you get now or it's this palm not that.

#16 Fallbrook Jason

Fallbrook Jason

• IPS MEMBER
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

DippyD, I've ordered all of those from Floribunda and they are all still alive for me. The Dark Mealy Bug seem sensitive to me, but they are still alive. The Marojejyi are great, they've gone through winter and summer just fine. The Dypsis Bef are very slow, so be prepared to wait a long time til those are decent sized.

#17 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,093 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Doomsdave

I don't have a greenhouse, and all the plants you describe have done well for me, except D. marojejyi (4 out of 5 died) but they'll likely do better in a greenhouse to start.

Greenhouse is coming . . .

I'm in OC right next to Whittier -- come and see my garden!

Ambisitrae, betafaka, and dark mealybug are all great. Malcomberi is slow, but steady.

#18 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Alrighty Gang, received my spring time christmas presents, here are some photos from the just opening the package to re-potting some up and a overall taste of what i got. first off as we we all know jeff runs a grade A business, so thanks to him and here they are....

opening the box...

Posted Image

the first taste of my lil treats....

Posted Image

#19 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

removed that layer and saw this good looking thing,

Posted Image

first look at a couple Dypsis sp. dark mealybug and ambositrae

Posted Image

#20 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

a couple Dypsis sp. betefaka

Posted Image

#21 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

here is an overall view of the goodies unpacked before potting up...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

and last but not least the plants that where shipped bare rooted all potted up and ready to grow...

Posted Image

#23 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Jeff threw in a bentinckia, anyone growing them
In SoCal that are growing well saw a few old posts that touched the subject.

#24 colin Peters

colin Peters

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Not to take away from your post, but I got these three Bentinckia condapannas yesterday
for a landscape client from Jeff, also. Wow the color is amazing, and of course Suchin packed
them with great care.
. I am excited to plant more rare stuff over here, Trying to convince my client to plant a row of red Lemurs.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1705.JPG

#25 colin Peters

colin Peters

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

more color

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1706.JPG

#26 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Wow Colin those do have amazing color the one I received is in a 4" pot and is lime green and hasn't developed those colors or it's mislabeled for something else. I'll take photos of mine tomorrow and post it.

#27 colin Peters

colin Peters

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

knowing Jeff I doubt they are mislabeled. Not sure on the age, but they are in a 5gal and 2 two gallon pots, and
the roots are coming out of the bottoms of the 2's. Probably takes awhile to show color. He has some shown on
his garden tour, and they look really nice, even though they won't be in my garden, Ill get to take care of them and
enjoy them anyway.
aloha

#28 Jastin

Jastin

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

I got a 4" from Jeff a year ago and its in the ground. it just threw its first color ( after a couple of leaves ). mine was lime at the start but it will develop, don't worry!

#29 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

Jastin, that would be exactly what I have and I figured he wouldn't mislabel anything just hasn't morphed yet. So these palms are cold tolerant? How much sun can they take?

#30 redant

redant

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

I was going to place my first order ever with Jeff this week, What was the shipping on your order? Looks like a great selection of very healthy palms.
Jupiter FL
in the Zone formally known as 10A

#31 1000shadesOFgreen

1000shadesOFgreen

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Dippy for posting those pictures. I still haven't put in my order, but its nice to get a glimpse of what I can expect when I figure out my list. Good looking stuff...

Grant
Long Beach, CA

#32 DippyD

DippyD

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Redant, I wouldn't hesitate on ordering, the shipping for me was a 2nd day delivery, which might be more difficult to do to Florida and obviously will be more pricey. I paid around 70 dollars for shipping and my package weighed 34lbs. Some palms where Bare root and some of the touchyer stuff was left in the 1gal containers. If you call jeff I'm sure he could give you a rough estimate of maybe other stuff he has shipped out your way recently to give you a ball park. I had 4 palms that where left in the container(1gal) and 6 that were bare root and about 10 more that were in 4" pots.

And everything is in tip top healthy shape. Almost too green and too healthy!!

#33 JasonD

JasonD

• IPS MEMBER
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Jeff & Suchin do an amazing job.
Jason Dewees
Inner Sunset District
San Francisco, California
Sunset zone 17
USDA zone 10a
21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April
Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.
Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C
Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C
40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users