IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need ideas for a new area

Stevetoad

im clearing out my side yard and am going to make it a palm garden (what else would i do). anyway, its a wind protected area that is on the north side of my house so its in full shade all year long. this area also seems to stay fairly moist most of the time. i get frosts every so often but being that this spot is right up against the house i dont think it will see any. i have a lot of room for palms on this side so im looking for as many ideas as i can get because i want to fill it up pretty quick. im thinking some new cal palms but im open to all ideas. or if anyone has an area that sonds like this id like to see some pics for ideas that i can steal......i mean inspire me. :D

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

im clearing out my side yard and am going to make it a palm garden (what else would i do). anyway, its a wind protected area that is on the north side of my house so its in full shade all year long. this area also seems to stay fairly moist most of the time. i get frosts every so often but being that this spot is right up against the house i dont think it will see any. i have a lot of room for palms on this side so im looking for as many ideas as i can get because i want to fill it up pretty quick. im thinking some new cal palms but im open to all ideas. or if anyone has an area that sonds like this id like to see some pics for ideas that i can steal......i mean inspire me. :D

A picture would be nice and try not to hurt you thumb

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

If only I had an area with all that shade!

I think any of the Chamaedoreas would be fine. Despite being common, I really like C. cataractarum. It is so lush and tropical. C. plumosa is beautiful. C. adscendens is gorgeous and looks like velvet. Stays very small. C.metallica would be good. You could have an entire Chamaedorea garden!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Jastin, ill take a pic ones i get it shaped. ill be more careful with the razor knife this time

Kitty, i like the chammy idea for sure. ill be planting a bunch in there

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I agree with Kitty, Chamaedorea species would appreciate the shade. Slug and snail free will be imperative. Metallica is a good suggestion, also ernestii-augustii. I like tepejilote for the colorful inflorescences and the clustering costaricana for its bamboo-like appearance. Add a Hedyscepe for some contrasting heft, possibly a Rhopalostylis if you have enough humidity? Burretiokentia hapala too. Is this realistic for your place? I don't know...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I agree with Kitty, Chamaedorea species would appreciate the shade. Slug and snail free will be imperative. Metallica is a good suggestion, also ernestii-augustii. I like tepejilote for the colorful inflorescences and the clustering costaricana for its bamboo-like appearance. Add a Hedyscepe for some contrasting heft, possibly a Rhopalostylis if you have enough humidity? Burretiokentia hapala too. Is this realistic for your place? I don't know...

im growing most of those cammys already. i have some seedling rhopies that are doing fine. i should be able to grow all of those. theres also a raised planter box that is in full sun across from this area that im planting a sapote tree and some sun loving palms so in time i should have a heavy canopy. MMMMM Hedyscape would be nice!!!

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Jastin, ill take a pic ones i get it shaped. ill be more careful with the razor knife this time

Are you planning on raising any part of the planter up? Plant something that grows fast and hardy so you can get some frost protection. I'm very visual/ hands on so its hard for me to just think about what to put there without seeing it. For right now, I would say plant some things that you know will look really good due to your winter weather so your garden doesn't look ratty. once you get some overhead then start pushing the sensitive stuff. How much room do you have? Do you want to plant dense? whats the design Idea?

Are you planning on raising any part of the planter up? Plant something that grows fast and hardy so you can get some frost protection. I'm very visual/ hands on so its hard for me to just think about what to put there without seeing it. For right now, I would say plant some things that you know will look really good due to your winter weather so your garden doesn't look ratty. once you get some overhead then start pushing the sensitive stuff. How much room do you have? Do you want to plant dense? whats the design Idea?

the lowest temp this side saw this year was 36.4 while out in the open it was 30.3. the side in full sun is raised. ive got quite a bit of room here. my idea is to make a curvy pathway and plant it very dense. i want it to look like Pauls lowlando jungle. :drool:

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Pinanga coronata (or Pinanga kuhlii if you wanna get jiggy wit it)

Ptychosperma caryotiodes

Baselinia gracilis

This sounds like a possible sweet spot micro-climate area to experiment with some more tender stuff.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

1331932888' post=518354]

Pinanga coronata (or Pinanga kuhlii if you wanna get jiggy wit it)

Ptychosperma caryotiodes

Baselinia gracilis

This sounds like a possible sweet spot micro-climate area to experiment with some more tender stuff.

I hope so Matt. I put a piece of meat and an apple out there. The apple got a sweet spot and the meat turned super tender so I think I'm good to go.

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Hahahaha, that was so weird...I love it...

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

PICTURE PICTURE PICTURE

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Chamaedorea cataractarum, Howeas and Chamby hookeri.

end of line

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Lets see a picture. This is a great post because I am working on the side yard and its on the north side as well. Along the property line where it gets sun I planted fruit trees (apple, peach, and closer to the back yard avo and orange). Up against the house I am wanting to put shade palms as well. The concern I have is this area is shaded and the ground is cold and damp all winter. Most of the palms others suggested were in my thoughts. I was also thinking of an archontophoenix purpurea in a spot on the NE corner up against the house where it might get some morning sun. What about a chamaedorea hooperiana? I have a couple in shade and they seem to in winter grow as fast or faster than any palm I have. I was thinking of planting one on each side of the AC unit to scream it. I also have a small kentiopsis oliviformis I might put in this area. Have fun planting the new area and be sure to post before and afters.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Lets see a picture. This is a great post because I am working on the side yard and its on the north side as well. Along the property line where it gets sun I planted fruit trees (apple, peach, and closer to the back yard avo and orange). Up against the house I am wanting to put shade palms as well. The concern I have is this area is shaded and the ground is cold and damp all winter. Most of the palms others suggested were in my thoughts. I was also thinking of an archontophoenix purpurea in a spot on the NE corner up against the house where it might get some morning sun. What about a chamaedorea hooperiana? I have a couple in shade and they seem to in winter grow as fast or faster than any palm I have. I was thinking of planting one on each side of the AC unit to scream it. I also have a small kentiopsis oliviformis I might put in this area. Have fun planting the new area and be sure to post before and afters.

im still clearing out the junk that was over there. ill post some pics of what it looks like once i get all this crap out of there. ive already filled up a dump trailer. my area sounds a lot like yours. i even have my ac unit there too.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Lets see a picture. This is a great post because I am working on the side yard and its on the north side as well. Along the property line where it gets sun I planted fruit trees (apple, peach, and closer to the back yard avo and orange). Up against the house I am wanting to put shade palms as well. The concern I have is this area is shaded and the ground is cold and damp all winter. Most of the palms others suggested were in my thoughts. I was also thinking of an archontophoenix purpurea in a spot on the NE corner up against the house where it might get some morning sun. What about a chamaedorea hooperiana? I have a couple in shade and they seem to in winter grow as fast or faster than any palm I have. I was thinking of planting one on each side of the AC unit to scream it. I also have a small I might put in this area. Have fun planting the new area and be sure to post before and afters.

My Kentiopsis oliviformis gnter andets sun from morning till about 3pm in the winter and in the summer it get almost full sun.

Edited by Jastin

Steve,

Cyphophoenix nucele, Kentia, Laccospadix australasica, Rhapis excelsa, cham's, Livistona chinensis, Ravenea, D st. lucie.

Steve - I have a very similar section of my yard and so far these are doing great for me there:

Pinanga Coronata

Chamaedorea Adscendens

Heterospathe Glauca

Ptychosperma Schefferi

Ptychosperma Waitianum

Dypsis Saintelucei

Like Matty said, it sounds like it might be a sweet little microclimate that is protected quite a bit from wind and the extreme elements, so experiment a little bit

Do My HVAC profession and your palms a favor and think of future A/C unit service or replacement....

just saying

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Do My HVAC profession and your palms a favor and think of future A/C unit service or replacement....

just saying

Most of the time my west facing front door is my AC, but if the unit needs repair now I know who to call.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Copernicia alba and prunifera do well on north side of structures where is sunny in summer and shady in winter

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

just saying

im planning on making my path way go to the ac unit and im going to leave a 2 foot buffer around it. would that be enough room do you think?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Lepidorrhachis mooreana did well for me on the north side for a few years before it mysteriously rotted. Hedyscepe should do well. Currently Rhapis excelsa and Howea belmoreana have been doing well there (7+ years).

High 57F, Low 45F - wind and rain

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

just saying

im planning on making my path way go to the ac unit and im going to leave a 2 foot buffer around it. would that be enough room do you think?

And shade for the A/C service guy. :lol:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Are you done clearing everything out? Geeze, your taking forever Steve.indifferent0024.gif

1332222573' post=518807]

Are you done clearing everything out? Geeze, your taking forever Steve.indifferent0024.gif

Not yet. It's been raining for the last 3 days sir. Plus I ran out of room in the dump trailer. Just a closet door,a few pallets ,10 or so sheets of backer board and some random bricks and it should be done! Then it's just a ton of roundup to knock out the weeds that somehow turned into small sequoia trees. It's getting close biggrin.gif

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Licuala ramsayii??? The cold may be a problem

i have one in my front yard that is getting to much sun. maybe ill move it to this area.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

At least the rain has softened up the soil for all your digging. Best time to dig some holes!

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Licuala ramsayii??? The cold may be a problem

i have one in my front yard that is getting to much sun. maybe ill move it to this area.

NICE!