white sopote info

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stevetoad

Stevetoad

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

i just got a white sapote this weekend. the guy i got it from said he had it for a very long time. i asked if it ever fruited and he said "i think so". he also told me he grew it from seed. so heres my question. how long does it take for these to fruit from seed. he wasnt sure how old it is. i have bought from him many times and trust that he's telling me the truth that its old. while im at it i should ask what they like. im planing on a full sun area. any info would be great.
"it's not dead it's sleeping"
Santee ca, zone10a/9b
18 miles from the ocean
avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 MattyB

MattyB

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,981 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

The only thing I can help with is that I know they'll grow in clay soil, they don't mind being dug up, and they grow fast and get large. I know this because a friend gave me one that was a seedling he dug up from under a huge tree in La Mesa that was growing in heavy clay. He claims that the fruit from the second generation, seed grown trees is excellent in quality, just like the mother.
Matt Bradford
"Manambe Lavaka"
Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)
10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)
9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

#3 Stevetoad

Stevetoad

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

thnaks matt. im going to start planting my side yard so im going to use this as a canopy tree. should work out good if it grows fast. i just hope it starts fruiting soon...
Santee ca, zone10a/9b
18 miles from the ocean

#4 MattyB

MattyB

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,981 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

I think they're evergreen so that's cool for canopy. I'd assume that they'd fruit after a couple of years, just like most fruit trees that are suited to our climate.
Matt Bradford
"Manambe Lavaka"
Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)
10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)
9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

#5 Alan_Tampa

Alan_Tampa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Mine took seven years from seed to fruit. That's in Florida, maybe different for you.

Alan
Tampa, Florida
Zone - 10a

#6 Stevetoad

Stevetoad

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

1331939780[/url]' post='518376']
Mine took seven years from seed to fruit. That's in Florida, maybe different for you.

Alan

That's not to bad. When do they normally flower? I checked mine and there's no sign of buds at all. On a positive note my cherimoya is full of flower buds Posted Image
Santee ca, zone10a/9b
18 miles from the ocean

#7 Alan_Tampa

Alan_Tampa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 854 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Mine typically flowers Nov, Dec. This year, flowered late October, set fruit, flowered again in December, set fruit, flowering now and setting fruit. My grafted tree (Younghans) flowered I think in December, set one fruit. The tree I grew from seed now has three sets of frutis at various stages of development. Flavor of the seedling tree is excellent.

Only blooms and fruit have been damaged by cold, tree does get 'sun burnt" in the summer sometimes but not always.

Alan
Tampa, Florida
Zone - 10a

#8 Stevetoad

Stevetoad

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

1332046260[/url]' post='518523']
Mine typically flowers Nov, Dec. This year, flowered late October, set fruit, flowered again in December, set fruit, flowering now and setting fruit. My grafted tree (Younghans) flowered I think in December, set one fruit. The tree I grew from seed now has three sets of frutis at various stages of development. Flavor of the seedling tree is excellent.

Only blooms and fruit have been damaged by cold, tree does get 'sun burnt" in the summer sometimes but not always.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Sounds like you have fruit most of the year. I hope mine behaves the same way...
Santee ca, zone10a/9b
18 miles from the ocean

#9 Alan_Tampa

Alan_Tampa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

You are lucky to be able to grow the cherimoya. A few have been successful in Florida, but it is tough to get fruit to mature. I have had good luck with atemoya, its good, but I do wish I could do the cherimoya. I need to get a few more annona this year.

Alan
Tampa, Florida
Zone - 10a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users