• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

white sopote info

Stevetoad

i just got a white sapote this weekend. the guy i got it from said he had it for a very long time. i asked if it ever fruited and he said "i think so". he also told me he grew it from seed. so heres my question. how long does it take for these to fruit from seed. he wasnt sure how old it is. i have bought from him many times and trust that he's telling me the truth that its old. while im at it i should ask what they like. im planing on a full sun area. any info would be great.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

The only thing I can help with is that I know they'll grow in clay soil, they don't mind being dug up, and they grow fast and get large. I know this because a friend gave me one that was a seedling he dug up from under a huge tree in La Mesa that was growing in heavy clay. He claims that the fruit from the second generation, seed grown trees is excellent in quality, just like the mother.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

thnaks matt. im going to start planting my side yard so im going to use this as a canopy tree. should work out good if it grows fast. i just hope it starts fruiting soon...

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I think they're evergreen so that's cool for canopy. I'd assume that they'd fruit after a couple of years, just like most fruit trees that are suited to our climate.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Mine took seven years from seed to fruit. That's in Florida, maybe different for you.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

1331939780' post=518376]

Mine took seven years from seed to fruit. That's in Florida, maybe different for you.

Alan

That's not to bad. When do they normally flower? I checked mine and there's no sign of buds at all. On a positive note my cherimoya is full of flower buds biggrin.gif

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Mine typically flowers Nov, Dec. This year, flowered late October, set fruit, flowered again in December, set fruit, flowering now and setting fruit. My grafted tree (Younghans) flowered I think in December, set one fruit. The tree I grew from seed now has three sets of frutis at various stages of development. Flavor of the seedling tree is excellent.

Only blooms and fruit have been damaged by cold, tree does get 'sun burnt" in the summer sometimes but not always.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

1332046260' post=518523]

Mine typically flowers Nov, Dec. This year, flowered late October, set fruit, flowered again in December, set fruit, flowering now and setting fruit. My grafted tree (Younghans) flowered I think in December, set one fruit. The tree I grew from seed now has three sets of frutis at various stages of development. Flavor of the seedling tree is excellent.

Only blooms and fruit have been damaged by cold, tree does get 'sun burnt" in the summer sometimes but not always.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Sounds like you have fruit most of the year. I hope mine behaves the same way...

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

You are lucky to be able to grow the cherimoya. A few have been successful in Florida, but it is tough to get fruit to mature. I have had good luck with atemoya, its good, but I do wish I could do the cherimoya. I need to get a few more annona this year.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

• 3 years later...

Do you have any pics of your sapote tree Steve? I'm wondering what kind of growth rate these have and I'm trying to decide where to plant mine.

Delicous fruit , like a creamy pear . Just saw lots of fruit set on a mates tree . Ones I had in sub-tropics grew very fast .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

For those of you whom have not tastes its fruits or see a full grown tree yet, then take your time to do it before grow this  tree in your  yard.

I saw one tree about 4' tall x 3' w and it already bloomed. I believe this one was an air layered tree. Few blocks away from that man house, there another guy has a tree about 20' tall with full of fruits and many more all over the ground. I asked about it. He told me that he not even bother to eat it anymore. I could understood  why. The first time I tasted its fruit was in few years back, when I visited another person yard. To me it was good, but its taste not something that make you want more. Maybe because I have tasted many tropical fruits ,so this one did not give me a wow thing. Beside that , the tree grown very big. His tree was about  30' +. After I saw that tree, I just removed it from my must have fruit tree on my list. . Go Youtube search white sapote , there is Bill in Fremont, California. You will see how big of his tree.

It is depent on your location, weather , soil condition...etc. a seedling can take up 6 to 10 years + to set fruit.  It is a good tree to grow , if you have a large garden and if you can eat all of its fruits.

Good to know your cherimoya full of flowers. Got to do hand pollination with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On December 19, 2015 at 4:18:25 PM, Danilopez89 said:

Do you have any pics of your sapote tree Steve? I'm wondering what kind of growth rate these have and I'm trying to decide where to plant mine.

No I don't. I ended up digging mine out. After some thought I decided I didn't want a big dicot and replaced it with a coccothrinax :)

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean