• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Stunning Marcus Lemurophoenix

Dypsisdean

It must be nice to have a garden like Jeff's with surprises every morning. Here is another, along with his comments in his email to me.

"Dean..we were also greeted this AM with Lemurophoenix halluexii dropping a new leaf..The picture with Suchin I was shaking like a leaf with excitement and blurred a bit..the crownshaft tomorrow will lose the tomentum and be scarlet red..too big to wipe off anymore..Feel free to post if you want ..Aloha Jeff"

post-11-024325700 1331757720_thumb.jpg

post-11-034596600 1331757724_thumb.jpg

post-11-008769100 1331757731_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

That is possibly the most beautiful palm in the world.

I would give just about anything to be able to grow that in So Cal.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Magnificent!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Wow, thanks for posting the update, beyond words. Lets hope it starts

producing seed soon

aloha

:crying: (weeping)

I only hope he sends you another pic after tomorrow... :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

:drool: Unbelievable. I wonder if I can get a life size full color cardboard cutout of that and put itin my front yard. I'm speechless, to beautiful for words

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I would move to Hawaii just to grow this palm, my favorite just happens to be one I can't have, thanks for the pic

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Dean (and Jeff),

Absolutely stunning! Certainly gives us something to look forward to with our own Lemurs! And I'm amazed how fast Jeff's has been growing. A little grove of these palms would not be a bad idea... :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dean (and Jeff),

Absolutely stunning! Certainly gives us something to look forward to with our own Lemurs! And I'm amazed how fast Jeff's has been growing. A little grove of these palms would not be a bad idea... :)

Bo-Göran

Lucky you!!!

I like that idea, Bo or Dean needs to tell Jeff to sell 24 x 36 inch photo prints of that palm, I'll buy one to frame and put on my wall.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Spectacular, the ultimate palm 'pin-up' photos. Just think a calendar with 12 months of nothing but this palm.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dean (and Jeff),

Bo-Göran

Too many of one thing distracts from the individual beauty. This palm deserves to stand alone. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Dean (and Jeff),

Bo-Göran

Too many of one thing distracts from the individual beauty. This palm deserves to stand alone. :)

Personal preference is just that - personal preference. :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dean (and Jeff),

Bo-Göran

Personal preference is just that - personal preference. :)

If I was able to grow this it would be standing alone...in MANY areas of my garden (right by other cool stuff)!

There is something spectacular about this palm standing alone in Jeff's garden, but my reason for having more than one would be knowing my luck the gophers would eat it just when it's getting trunk and I would not have a back up.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

There is something spectacular about this palm standing alone in Jeff's garden, but my reason for having more than one would be knowing my luck the gophers would eat it just when it's getting trunk and I would not have a back up.

Gary, why don't you just try some?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I know my limitations Dave, not going to be able to grow that one.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Yeah, I know.

But try anyway?

How about if I donate one?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If I could grow it and I had the room, I would plant many. But never a grove of these palms. As Jeff's plant shows, it is to nice to be bunched. It must be singled out to appreciate its full glory. But like Bo said, to each their own.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Unbelevalably beautiful :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Think i saw a smaller one at Daryls and Mike newcal !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

A few people have told me that these palms should live at my place but at $100 for a tiny 25cm seedling, I am not prepared to take the risk, no matter how gorgeous they are.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I remember seeing Mark Daish's one up in FNQ just before Cyclone Larry snapped it in half just as it was getting it's first inflorecence,and now i know why he was so devastated over his loss.Since then his substitute Lemur has survived Cyclone Yasi and hopefully getting some size to it now.Daryl's one is probably the biggest in SEQ as far as i'm aware of(My 4 are still quite small),but despite their high price i still think their worth trying once just because they're too beautiful for words :drool: ...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Today is another one of those days where I know my poor color vision is limiting my view of the world. :(

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

DANNNGGGGGGGGG !!!!!

Is anyone else growing this ?

Any in Florida ???

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

It's hard to relate my three young lemurs to that spectacular photo, but if they eventually look like that, WOW! What a sight that will be! They are planted about 17 feet apart, and a long way from trunking.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yeah, I know.

But try anyway?

I'll always kill a donation, i'll even let the donatee pick the spot to plant it.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Yeah, I know.

But try anyway?

I'll always kill a donation, i'll even let the donatee pick the spot to plant it.

Gary

Gary, good call taking it. I think you might pull it off. After a few attempts I believe Mardy thinks 100% shade here. Let it grow slow in shade. Maybe under the Oak or Kingali.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

This is torture. Zone pushing...knowing one's limitations...$100 for a seedling. And I still want to try. Can a Lemurophoenix be grown on the equator, in front of the ocean, with a long dry season? All kidding aside, I have small microclimates and areas of the garden that get their fair share of water, it's pretty warm year round, but I'm not quite on the equator. Can anyone out there give me hope or should I just listen to Peachy and look for another palm? Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Yeah, I know.

But try anyway?

Gary

Gary, good call taking it. I think you might pull it off. After a few attempts I believe Mardy thinks 100% shade here. Let it grow slow in shade. Maybe under the Oak or Kingali.

I was thinking the same thing, under the oak tree up against a boulder. Another good spot is behind my Kentiopsis, I'll pull out that Zamia lindinii and plant it there?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I would concur. I had a lot of trouble with two seedlings I put in full sun here eight years ago. One I gave up on, and the other is still dinky. However, I planted three five gal size in half and half exposure, and they are doing great. So for inland SoCal I would think they would need considerable shade until fairly large.

This is torture. Zone pushing...knowing one's limitations...$100 for a seedling. And I still want to try. Can a Lemurophoenix be grown on the equator, in front of the ocean, with a long dry season? All kidding aside, I have small microclimates and areas of the garden that get their fair share of water, it's pretty warm year round, but I'm not quite on the equator. Can anyone out there give me hope or should I just listen to Peachy and look for another palm? Peter

As said above, if taking those considerations in mind, I don't see any reason this palm wouldn't flourish on the equator. Of course, a long dry spell as a small plant should be avoided. In your mountain site, I don't think you would have any problem - the low-mid 50s at night a month or two a year haven't affected it at all here.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I am still not convinced that I can't grow one here... :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

WOW, that thing is amazing. I haven't tried any here. I agree, could be the most beautiful palm. Would like to see another pic with the white coating off the crownshaft.

I put mine in the ground last spring. It has put a single leaf out since then and that was a spear when it went in the ground. At this rate, I'll have to live beyond the geriatric stage to see it mature. But I can dream about it.:hmm:

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

That is such an awesome palm! This has to be the most stunning palm species in the world (at least for a large single trunk palm). If I was Mr Marcus, I'd be rubbing that crownshaft until it was bright pink! Like a giant single stemmed Sealing wax palm!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!