• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.

The Stunning Marcus Lemurophoenix

75 posts in this topic

It must be nice to have a garden like Jeff's with surprises every morning. Here is another, along with his comments in his email to me.

"Dean..we were also greeted this AM with Lemurophoenix halluexii dropping a new leaf..The picture with Suchin I was shaking like a leaf with excitement and blurred a bit..the crownshaft tomorrow will lose the tomentum and be scarlet red..too big to wipe off anymore..Feel free to post if you want ..Aloha Jeff"

post-11-024325700 1331757720_thumb.jpg

post-11-034596600 1331757724_thumb.jpg

post-11-008769100 1331757731_thumb.jpg

Palm trees are much more than 1000 shades of green...

what a beauty!

Ok now stop it, no more pictures from his garden :D

drool....

That is possibly the most beautiful palm in the world.

I would give just about anything to be able to grow that in So Cal.

Magnificent!

Wow, thanks for posting the update, beyond words. Lets hope it starts

producing seed soon

aloha

:crying: (weeping)

I only hope he sends you another pic after tomorrow... :)

Is there a better palm than this?

:drool: Unbelievable. I wonder if I can get a life size full color cardboard cutout of that and put itin my front yard. I'm speechless, to beautiful for words

I would move to Hawaii just to grow this palm, my favorite just happens to be one I can't have, thanks for the pic

Dean (and Jeff),

Absolutely stunning! Certainly gives us something to look forward to with our own Lemurs! And I'm amazed how fast Jeff's has been growing. A little grove of these palms would not be a bad idea... :)

Bo-Göran

Dean (and Jeff),

Absolutely stunning! Certainly gives us something to look forward to with our own Lemurs! And I'm amazed how fast Jeff's has been growing. A little grove of these palms would not be a bad idea... :)

Bo-Göran

Lucky you!!!

I like that idea, Bo or Dean needs to tell Jeff to sell 24 x 36 inch photo prints of that palm, I'll buy one to frame and put on my wall.

Spectacular, the ultimate palm 'pin-up' photos. Just think a calendar with 12 months of nothing but this palm.

FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

Dean (and Jeff),

Bo-Göran

Too many of one thing distracts from the individual beauty. This palm deserves to stand alone. :)

Dean (and Jeff),

Bo-Göran

Too many of one thing distracts from the individual beauty. This palm deserves to stand alone. :)

Personal preference is just that - personal preference. :)

Dean (and Jeff),

Bo-Göran

Personal preference is just that - personal preference. :)

If I was able to grow this it would be standing alone...in MANY areas of my garden (right by other cool stuff)!

There is something spectacular about this palm standing alone in Jeff's garden, but my reason for having more than one would be knowing my luck the gophers would eat it just when it's getting trunk and I would not have a back up.

There is something spectacular about this palm standing alone in Jeff's garden, but my reason for having more than one would be knowing my luck the gophers would eat it just when it's getting trunk and I would not have a back up.

Gary, why don't you just try some?

I know my limitations Dave, not going to be able to grow that one.

Yeah, I know.

But try anyway?

How about if I donate one?

If I could grow it and I had the room, I would plant many. But never a grove of these palms. As Jeff's plant shows, it is to nice to be bunched. It must be singled out to appreciate its full glory. But like Bo said, to each their own.

Unbelevalably beautiful :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Think i saw a smaller one at Daryls and Mike newcal !

A few people have told me that these palms should live at my place but at $100 for a tiny 25cm seedling, I am not prepared to take the risk, no matter how gorgeous they are.

Peachy

I remember seeing Mark Daish's one up in FNQ just before Cyclone Larry snapped it in half just as it was getting it's first inflorecence,and now i know why he was so devastated over his loss.Since then his substitute Lemur has survived Cyclone Yasi and hopefully getting some size to it now.Daryl's one is probably the biggest in SEQ as far as i'm aware of(My 4 are still quite small),but despite their high price i still think their worth trying once just because they're too beautiful for words :drool: ...Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Today is another one of those days where I know my poor color vision is limiting my view of the world. :(

FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

actually, it's pinnate... :mrlooney:

DANNNGGGGGGGGG !!!!!

Is anyone else growing this ?

Any in Florida ???

It's hard to relate my three young lemurs to that spectacular photo, but if they eventually look like that, WOW! What a sight that will be! They are planted about 17 feet apart, and a long way from trunking.

Yeah, I know.

But try anyway?

I'll always kill a donation, i'll even let the donatee pick the spot to plant it.

Gary

Yeah, I know.

But try anyway?

I'll always kill a donation, i'll even let the donatee pick the spot to plant it.

Gary

Gary, good call taking it. I think you might pull it off. After a few attempts I believe Mardy thinks 100% shade here. Let it grow slow in shade. Maybe under the Oak or Kingali.

This is torture. Zone pushing...knowing one's limitations...$100 for a seedling. And I still want to try. Can a Lemurophoenix be grown on the equator, in front of the ocean, with a long dry season? All kidding aside, I have small microclimates and areas of the garden that get their fair share of water, it's pretty warm year round, but I'm not quite on the equator. Can anyone out there give me hope or should I just listen to Peachy and look for another palm? Peter

Yeah, I know.

But try anyway?

Gary

Gary, good call taking it. I think you might pull it off. After a few attempts I believe Mardy thinks 100% shade here. Let it grow slow in shade. Maybe under the Oak or Kingali.

I was thinking the same thing, under the oak tree up against a boulder. Another good spot is behind my Kentiopsis, I'll pull out that Zamia lindinii and plant it there?

I would concur. I had a lot of trouble with two seedlings I put in full sun here eight years ago. One I gave up on, and the other is still dinky. However, I planted three five gal size in half and half exposure, and they are doing great. So for inland SoCal I would think they would need considerable shade until fairly large.

This is torture. Zone pushing...knowing one's limitations...$100 for a seedling. And I still want to try. Can a Lemurophoenix be grown on the equator, in front of the ocean, with a long dry season? All kidding aside, I have small microclimates and areas of the garden that get their fair share of water, it's pretty warm year round, but I'm not quite on the equator. Can anyone out there give me hope or should I just listen to Peachy and look for another palm? Peter

As said above, if taking those considerations in mind, I don't see any reason this palm wouldn't flourish on the equator. Of course, a long dry spell as a small plant should be avoided. In your mountain site, I don't think you would have any problem - the low-mid 50s at night a month or two a year haven't affected it at all here.

I am still not convinced that I can't grow one here... :huh:

WOW, that thing is amazing. I haven't tried any here. I agree, could be the most beautiful palm. Would like to see another pic with the white coating off the crownshaft.

I put mine in the ground last spring. It has put a single leaf out since then and that was a spear when it went in the ground. At this rate, I'll have to live beyond the geriatric stage to see it mature. But I can dream about it.:hmm:

That is such an awesome palm! This has to be the most stunning palm species in the world (at least for a large single trunk palm). If I was Mr Marcus, I'd be rubbing that crownshaft until it was bright pink! Like a giant single stemmed Sealing wax palm!

Daryl