• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

AAAA...not so fast

STEVE IN SO CAL

Bossy Bob here again...

I'm starting to see damage on palms that I thought were going to be OK. My big Rav Glauca is now just starting to show damage, and a Pritchardia that was on the south side of my house next to my constantly used and warm chimney, is starting to fold. Three days ago, these palms looked perfect...

Please be thorough, and if need be, edit your posts to reflect final damage. I'm waiting to share my data when damage shows in its final stage.

Remember, this is a thread dedicated to gathering cold damage data, and we may not(hopefully)have the opportunity to compile such important data anytime soon.

So, please update damage as needed...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Yes, I too have seen some latent damage.  I've been editing accordingly.  Let's try and make this as scientific as possible.  It will pay off down the road.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Alas!

I've been updating.

And praying . . . .

So far, things are holding at the levels they were earlier, but, yeah there may indeed be latent damage, given the length of the freeze.

Don't step on cracks . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Watch careful for secondary fungal infections that may not show up until spring.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary, Whatever happens will happen. I will be surfing. I am not spraying any fungicides. If the palms die I will plant new ones. All my butias look better every day.

(Shon @ Jan. 19 2007,15:35)

You guys are right on my stuff has taken a turn for the worse 3/4 of my front yard might be lost. :(

Shon-

I have been looking around town and snuck by Steve in SD's yard today, a lot of places look merely tattered.   You got hit hard.  Maybe you should post a few pics to have us share your misery.

Hang in there pal.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Shon:

This too, shall pass.

Like gas . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have been thinking a little about this, this week.  As many of us are now seeing some decline in the look or condition, I would offer that we just add to the thread on that palm, rather than editing.  That way we would get a real time indicator as to when the damage shows up.  (3 days, a week, etc.)

My 2 cents worth.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill...what about noting that on this date(date of edit) you are updating your observations to reflect real damage. Then it all stays together in one post per observer...

As I've said before, I'm waiting to add my data. Things are still going bad here. There are some 40' tall Canarys down the hill that are turning completely brown. They looked fine a week ago.

Yes, I like it when people edit their original post and simply note "Edit on (date x), new observations....."

This way I do not need to play detective and spend minutes and minutes trying to match to the first post and figure out a chain of events among posts far apart.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Actually, the only reason I prefer to add a post rather than edit (assuming they update the time/day, etc-but it does say that in the edit line-)  Is that it then shows up as a "new post".  Unless I go back and look at every palm, I don't know if someone has edited or updated.  

It seems more simple to me to scroll up on the "latest posted to" thread, than to check every palm thread and see if it has been updated!

Bill

Bill...as a current event topic, you're right. But the long term goal is for a data base of freeze damage. Palmies can/will access this for years to come, and editing makes more sense in that case, IMO. I think by mid summer you'll be able to go thru this data base and be certain that it's complete.

You guys are sort of playing the part of mini-moderators, which I think is great. However, I think you will find out, a lot of the people (maybe most) will do what they want, because they will never read this discussion.

Don't get me wrong. I am encouraging what you are doing, just be aware that the Forum has a life of it's own, and trying to regulate it will only result in partial success.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Alls we can do is give it a little rudder now and then, and hope for the best... :cool:

Since it has been about 2 weeks it might be a good idea to revisit the palms that have been listed in the "Freeze Damage Forum".I am sure some of them will be showing more damage then previously posted and if they are not showing new damage it would only underline their tuffness.

I have been taking pictures of the same plants twice a week.Hopefully only to see that they are not declining.

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• 3 weeks later...

So, is anyone else noting how many of the palms that have "tiny spears" (under 2'') are brown, or look dessicated ?  I have not marked too many, but at the 5 week point, it looks like its getting easier to tell the survivors from the goners... :(

I marked my spears 3 weeks ago and am happy to report they all show signs of growth, although some rather minimal.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I have two palms that are on a slow decline since the freeze. My D. Lutescens, and a Thrinax. I'm not confident about the Dypsis. It's leaves are almost completely dried out, yet it has water. Oh well, I had such high hopes for it though.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Kim @ Feb. 19 2007,15:06)

I marked my spears 3 weeks ago and am happy to report they all show signs of growth, although some rather minimal.

Kim, Is the Carpoxylon gonna make it?  ???

(BS @ Man about Palms,Feb. 19 2007,20:59)

Patience, grasshopper. :)

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Any trunk yet, on that Carpoxylon Kim?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Feb. 20 2007,16:54)

Any trunk yet, on that Carpoxylon Kim?

:D Oh MattyB, what am I gonna do with you?  Sit down in your seat and raise your hand if you have a question.  Have you had your ritalin today?

Kim Cyr

(Kim @ Feb. 20 2007,07:52)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Feb. 19 2007,20:59)

Patience, grasshopper. :)

Grasshopper!!!  Quick flick it off and stomp on it!!  You need healthy fronds!!  :D

• 2 months later...

Has anyone else here noticed how many spears they've pulled in the last few weeks?  I've had several people mention this to me privately. Like I said before elsewhere, until a leaf opens, no "clear sailing".   ???  I think.

Ditto for me....lots of Phoenix that I thought were OK. I guess I should post some of my observations soon.

Yeah, Dypsis robusta spear pulled yesterday. :(  The Dypsis robusta and prestoniana give me so much darn trouble. :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

bummer,matt.

i just pulled a spear on a large c.ernesti-augustii today.

i thought the spear-pulling was over but apparently not :angry:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

No spears pulled, but the ones on my foxtail and Archo' alexander aren't moving at all, and I pulled hard.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

The ONLY silver lining I can find, (if there is one) is it is mostly my 1 gal plants, and a few 5 gals. I have too many to take care of!  The bigger ones can fend a little better between "loving attentions".

please,bill,i don't wanna hear about your "personal life".

still "warning-free."

(pohonkelapa @ May 10 2007,12:41)

please,bill,i don't wanna hear about your "personal life".

I said it just for you or Matt..   :P

the "visual" was a bit scary.

still "warning-free."

Within the past few days I have pulled out at least 10 spears, even on some plants that looked fine otherwise.

Most of the plants are kentias. Done the fungicide (again) and am hoping for the best.

Significant amount of other palms have proven that they are dead also in the last few days. Ten Roystonea borinquena, Five more Roystonea regia, Six Dypsis onilahensis, Two Syagrus sancona, Three kentias.

All in 5g containers.

No doubt a bummer.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I still see suprises each day, both good and bad.  Just noticed my giant 15 gal Para Tory had a definate little lean? All the frond look great though?  Maybe the high winds recently. ?  They do rise 7 or 8 feet in the air..