IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTalk members at the Thailand Biennial

bgl

The Biennial in Thailand in September this year will be memorable in so many different ways. We may have record attendance (previous "record" was 220 at the Biennial in Thailand in 1998 and a close second was the one in Hawaii in 2004 with 200). I believe we will also have a record attendance of first-timers AND of PalmTalk members. Never before will so many PalmTalk members have met at the same time. This will definitely be your chance to meet fellow forum members! And experience Thailand AND Nong Nooch! :) So, let's see who is going to be there. Please do a Copy and paste of the list below, add your name and as much, or as little, information as you feel comfortable with, and add a new post. I'll start it off:

Bo-Göran Lundkvist (bgl) from Hawaii. My 9th Biennial. First one was in Caracas in 1994.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo-Göran Lundkvist (bgl) from Hawaii. My 9th Biennial. First one was in Caracas in 1994.

Cindy Adair (apaandssa) from Virginia and eventually Puerto Rico.This will be my first Biennial and my first trip to Asia.

Cindy Adair

Cindy Adair (apaandssa) from Virginia and eventually Puerto Rico.This will be my first Biennial and my first trip to Asia.

Kathryn and Craig Morgan (Kathryn & El Gato Grande) from Louisiana/Mississippi. My 4th Biennial - first was Dominican Republic in 2006.

Kathryn and Craig Morgan (Kathryn & El Gato Grande) from Louisiana/Mississippi. My 4th Biennial - first was Dominican Republic in 2006.

Tim Brian and Bob Gibbens (realarch) from Hawaii. This will be our first Biennial.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim Brian and Bob Gibbens (realarch) from Hawaii. This will be our first Biennial.

Bruce Lowe (Lowey)from Australia. This will be my second Biennial, my first was Rio 2010

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Bruce Lowe (Lowey)from Australia. This will be my second Biennial, my first was Rio 2010

Paul and Patty Craft from Loxahatchee, Florida. My 9th Biennial. First was Miami in 1992. Missed the first Thailand Biennial.

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Paul and Patty Craft from Loxahatchee, Florida. My 9th Biennial. First was Miami in 1992. Missed the first Thailand Biennial.

Wal Donovan (Wal) from Australia. This is my first Biennial and my first trip overseas.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Looking forward to the Biennial.

All paid for, besides , someone has to look after Wal, this being his first trip off the big island!

see you there

regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Looking forward to the Biennial.

All paid for, besides , someone has to look after Wal, this being his first trip off the big island!

see you there

regards

Colin

Geez Col, you can't even do this right, who's looking after who ?

Wal Donovan (Wal) from Australia. This is my first Biennial and my first trip overseas.

Colin Wilson (palmtreesforpleasure) from Australia. His first biennial.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hopefully expecting to survive a long and exciting pre tour, together with our group of Brazilian adventurous friends (Alberto and Nelly Barkema, Hoover and Liana Mendonça and another couple from Recife) through South Africa, Dubai and Hong Kong on our way, we're looking forward to meeting everyone there again, plus so many great longtime Palmtalk buddies, for the first time 'in flesh' like Col and Wal, Jeff, Paulgila, Ari, etc...

Barbara and I are also planning on a short post tour to Malaysia and Singapore on our way back...Since we'll be so far away from home, what is the problem with a couple more short flights comparing to the expected 14 long ones scheduled, including the connections? :mrlooney:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Oops...

Gileno and Barbara Machado from Recife, Brazil. Second biennial and first trip to SE Asia.

Alberto and Nelly Barkema from Paraná, Brazil. First biennial was Rio de Janeiro 2010.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Oops...

Gileno and Barbara Machado from Recife, Brazil. Second biennial and first trip to SE Asia.

Alberto and Nelly Barkema from Paraná, Brazil. First biennial was Rio de Janeiro 2010.

paul denton & jessie odaffer from san diego california. 1st biennial!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Paul Denton & Jessie Odaffer from San Diego California. 1st biennial!

David & Geri Prall (SW_FL_Palms) from Florida - 5th Biennial (1st one 1996 S. California)

David & Geri Prall (SW_FL_Palms) from Florida - 5th Biennial (1st one 1996 S. California)

Lucinda McCartney - 2nd biennial. First one was Rio 2010. Traveling with me will be son Bob Blenker (Rio was his 1st) and Grisel McCain

Lucinda McCartney - 2nd biennial. First one was Rio 2010. Traveling with me will be son Bob Blenker (Rio was his 1st) and Grisel McCain

Jeff and Andrea Searle,from South Florida. My 6th Biennial. My first Biennial was in Miami in 1992. Attended the first Biennial in Thailand.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff and Andrea Searle,from South Florida. My 6th Biennial. My first Biennial was in Miami in 1992. Attended the first Biennial in Thailand.

Helena Brandfors (HBaum), from Hawaii. I'm a Biennial virgin. Can't wait!

Burt Repine, 3rd biennial, CR and Brazil, 1st trip to Asia

burt repine

Kim Cyr from San Diego, California. This will be my third Biennial after Costa Rica and Brazil, and my first trip to Asia.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim Cyr from San Diego, California. This will be my third Biennial after Costa Rica & Brazil, and my first trip to Asia.

Randy (palmisland) & Debbie Wiesner. This is our 1st biennial!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Kim Cyr from San Diego, California. This will be my third Biennial after Costa Rica & Brazil, and my first trip to Asia.

Jim & Judy Glock will be on our 6th Biennial

Jeffry and Christine Brusseau from Vista, California- This will be our 6th Biennial and first time to Nong Nooch.

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Jeffry and Christine Brusseau from Vista, California- This will be our 6th Biennial and first time to Nong Nooch

Roger and Sally Betts from Sarasota, Florida: Our 5th biennial, after Venezuela, Thailand, New Caledonia, France.....

Jeffry and Christine Brusseau from Vista, California- This will be our 6th Biennial and first time to Nong Nooch

Roger and Sally Betts from Sarasota, Florida: Our 5th biennial, after Venezuela, Thailand, New Caledonia, France.....

Sue and Turk Rowlands, 11th Biennial. 1990 in Hawaii was first. Missed Miami in 92 because of Hurricane. Have attended all since then.

Suzanne Rowlands

Sue and Turk Rowlands, 11th Biennial. 1990 in Hawaii was first. Missed Miami in 92 because of Hurricane. Have attended all since then.

Brenda Funaro and Julie Cowan. Our second biennial.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Dan Ashley (KONADANTOM) from Kailua-Kona Hawai’i / my third Biennial after Costa Rica & Brazil / my first trip to Asia / also doing the Southern Thailand Pre-Tour

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Dan Ashley (KONADANTOM) from Kailua-Kona Hawai’i / my third Biennial after Costa Rica & Brazil / my first trip to Asia / also doing the

Southern Thailand Pre-tour.

Peter Beatty (Peter Pacific) and Guillermo Ruiz from Guatemala, first biennial and first trip to Asia.

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Dan Ashley (KONADANTOM) from Kailua-Kona Hawai’i / my third Biennial after Costa Rica & Brazil / my first trip to Asia / also doing the

Peter Beatty (Peter Pacific) and Guillermo Ruiz from Guatemala, first biennial and first trip to Asia.

Annika Lundkvist (currently reside in Bavaria). 2nd Biennial- 1st was in France. I look forward to the people, food, palms & elephants.

Processing..........

Processing..........

[/////////////////////////////////////////////////////...............]

progress bar

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill? You just screwed up the topic man. I vote to put you on the "short" bus for the biennial. :lol:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Annika Lundkvist (currently reside in Bavaria). 2nd Biennial- 1st was in France. I look forward to the people, food, palms & elephants.

Bill Sanford from So California, (BS Man) 2nd Biennial, 1st was Costa Rica. Going because I promised Anders in Costa Rica..(Palmgrover will be me bunkmate)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, Great to see you'll be in Thailand. I enjoyed meeting you at Jungle Music and appreciate your help. Should be fun!

Cindy Adair

Bill Sanford from So California, (BS Man) 2nd Biennial, 1st was Costa Rica. Going because I promised Anders in Costa Rica..(Palmgrover will be me bunkmate)

Al & Silvia Bredeson from Kona, Big Island, Hawaii. Second time to Nong Nooch (1998). Love these Biennials!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al & Silvia Bredeson from Kona, Big Island, Hawaii. Second time to Nong Nooch (1998). Love these Biennials!

Mike Merritt from east Hawaii, Puna District. Also plan to join the south Thailand pre-tour if it goes.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Mike Merritt from east Hawaii, Puna District. Also plan to join the south Thailand pre-tour if it goes.

Francisco (Trópico) and Yenny Lozada from Orlando, FL. Our first biennial and first time ever to Asia. We could not let the awesomeness of the Southern Thailand pre-tour pass us by.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Francisco (Trópico) and Yenny Lozada from Orlando, FL. Our first biennial and first time ever to Asia. We could not let the awesomeness of the Southern Thailand pre-tour pass us by.

David and Wipada Salmanowitz, from Bangkok, Thailand. 4th biennial, 1st one was in Thailand back in 1998.

• 2 weeks later...

Donald Sanders, Holualoa, Hawaii, (The Big Island)

Donald Sanders

Dan Ashley (KONADANTOM) from Kailua-Kona Hawaii / my third Biennial after Costa Rica & Brazil / my first trip to Asia / also doing the

David and Wipada Salmanowitz, from Bangkok, Thailand. 4th biennial, 1st one was in Thailand back in 1998.

Jerry and Cindy Andersen from Calif & Big Island HI, This is my 6th biennial and Cindy's 4th.

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry and Cindy Andersen from Calif & Big Island HI, This is my 6th biennial and Cindy's 4th.

Alain and Douang Jamet from Sisaket (Thailand). We live in the northeast of Thailand. Glad to meet American's friends at the "Land of smile".

• 2 weeks later...

Alain and Douang Jamet from Sisaket (Thailand). We live in the northeast of Thailand. Glad to meet American's friends at the "Land of smile".

Rob van der Borg from Miami Beach, 1st Biennial, 1st time to Thailand, the country will never be the same!

• Upvote 1

Dan Ashley (KONADANTOM) from Kailua-Kona Hawai'i / my third Biennial after Costa Rica & Brazil / my first trip to Asia / also doing the

Rob van der Borg from Miami Beach, 1st Biennial, 1st time to Thailand, the country will never be the same!

Grant Stephenson and possibly Carletta DeLonjay Houston / Austin Texas, 3rd and first time in Thailand

• Upvote 1

Grant L Stephenson
PO.Box 569

Spicewood, Texas 78669
Phone 713-665-Palm (7256)
Toll Free (800) 460-Palm (7256)
Email: gls@hciglobal.com
Web Site: www.hciglobal.com
Llat: 30.564662',Llong: 098.321335'

Member of The International Palm Society

WWW.Palms.org