IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

what is the most exotic place you palm nutz have ever .........

trioderob

I've been to so many countries that us palm peeps would go crazy over, the only problem is that I wasn't into palms at the time! So after I got into it probably 7 miles from my house-Marty's house. I would feel too selfish if left my wife at home with the kids while I took a trip to look at palms.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Ahhhh, Chris Farley......those were the days!

Edited by Jastin

I was checking out some coccothrinax in riviera maya....but that's not why I went there sad.gif

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

30 days in Madagascar, do I need to say more?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I went to Budgewoi to see the 2 headed bangalow.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

30 days in Madagascar, do I need to say more?

No sir confused0065.gif

Two trips (7weeks total) to Madagascar. Dosen't get much better than that. And to many high rainfall, very tropical places on the island. Dypsis, Ravenea, Orania heaven!!!

Many trips to Costa Rica as well, and if your there strictly spending time in the bush, the wealth of palms are can be tremendous. The Chamaedoreas, Geonoma's, Welfia, etc. are absolutely beautiful.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Seems kind of sad in hindsight, since I was only recently bit by the palm bug, but for geology field trips I've been to a number of places.

Gulf and Atlantic Coast Florida

Delta country Louisiana

Gulf Coast Texas

South California

The Turks & Caicos Islands

Heron Island on the Great Barrier Reef and North Australia

At least I have plenty of pictures to go back through looking for palms. If I find a few I'll post 'em.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Kind of hard to choose. Some of the below was specifically to see palms in conjunction with other stuff, some were for other reasons but palms happened to be there

• Lake Gardens in Kuala Lumpur to see some gorgeous Joeys
  • Singapore Botanic Gardens to see some flowering Coryphas and many, many, more
  • Nong Nooch Gardens to see darn near everything
  • Rainforest near Phuket to see grove of Kerriodoxas
  • Cerro San Cristobal in Santiago to see dozens of mature Jubaeas
  • Rapa Nui (Easter Island) with more Jubaeas
  • Rainforest in Iquitos to see all sorts of palms, including many cool stilt-root varieties
  • Quito with many mature Ceroxylons and Parajubaeas
  • Okavango Delta with numerous fan palms (admittedly, this was for the animals, not the plants)
  • Botanic Garden in Buenos Aires with many fine varieties of temperate and subtropical palms
  • Iguazu Falls had all sorts of palms, including many Syagrus species
  • Pantanal in SW Brazil had many tropical palms, albeit different from true rainforest varieties
  • Botanic Garden in Rio de Janeiro for all sorts of tropical palms
  • Lord Howe Island for the Howeas, Hedyscepes, and Lepidorachis
  • Kuranda in Australia for the Archontophoenix and Calamus species
  • Daintree Rainforest in Australia was absolutely covered in Licuala ramsayii
  • Tambopata Reserve in SE Peru had a great variety of palms, including really impressive Mauritia palms
  • All over Madagascar, including Tsingy area, Perinet, Route 7 from Tana to Toliara, and Fort Dauphin
  • This summer we're due to see all the palms at Bogor Botanic Garden and other places around Java, Bali, Komodo, and Borneo

Of these, none really stand above the rest. Nong Nooch is most "dense" but of course it's all cultivated palms. Lord Howe is the most gorgeous, and I guess Nong Nooch and Lord Howe are the most likely to make you say "wow."

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Gary's place . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well trachycarpus takil in Kalamuni, India. Been there twice now. Awesome area!

And Cuba, Venezuela, Borneo. Well so many awesome places I have been on this awesome planet!

Alexander

I visited the Jubeaopsis sites on the Mtentu and Mkambati rivers in 1986 and 1991 -----

this was pretty exciting only Jubeaopsis and P. reclinata in that part of Africa --- Stangeria was present in the understorry of the palms -- they were growing on the side of a steep cliffs. the other close experience was to see the P. zunkha in Bolivia in 1997 -- such a long hot drive to Vallegrande much like the drive from Durban to the Transkei.

Best regards

Ed

you could just look in the travel section of palmtalk. :rolleyes:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

To see palms? Thailand for palm shopping. But just to see a single palm species in habitat?

Hmmmm Joshua tree park to see the wild W. filifera. I was staying in Palm Springs with a very old friend living there and made the trip just to see these palms.

Lovely hike, it was also wild flower season so extraordinarily interesting some areas just carpeted with colour and interesting plants, puts any garden in Palm Springs to shame. Just as fantastic as the palms are the tall skinny ocotillo with their shiny waxy scarlet flowers. How I would love to live in that climate.

I always come over all Neanderthal when in places like that eyes darting for suitable sleeping places and food possibilities, comes from being brought up free-range.

I usually visit places for the whole flora and fauna and cultural thing not just a single species of plant.

Most exotic perhaps at the time was the Gambia to visit as I soon found out the rather overly aggressive but exciting and fascinating chimps living on islands in the River Gambia. The whole trip was more or less packed with the same primitive edge as the country had a successful coup d'état while I was up river, on my return all the accommodation what there was of it was full of overcharged testosterone loaded rebels throwing furniture into fires, looting and drinking everything in site and shooting wildly into the night, after night after night all that ammo no one left to kill. I adopted the missionary pose hoping I wouldn't be noticed. Protected by the good old catholic church missionaries very decent of them I must say, needless to say I took to the cassoc like a duck to water.

Asia isnt exotic as I live here a lot of the time but it was at first hugely.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Kind of hard to choose. Some of the below was specifically to see palms in conjunction with other stuff, some were for other reasons but palms happened to be there

• Lake Gardens in Kuala Lumpur to see some gorgeous Joeys
  • Singapore Botanic Gardens to see some flowering Coryphas and many, many, more
  • Nong Nooch Gardens to see darn near everything
  • Rainforest near Phuket to see grove of Kerriodoxas
  • Cerro San Cristobal in Santiago to see dozens of mature Jubaeas
  • Rapa Nui (Easter Island) with more Jubaeas
  • Rainforest in Iquitos to see all sorts of palms, including many cool stilt-root varieties
  • Quito with many mature Ceroxylons and Parajubaeas
  • Okavango Delta with numerous fan palms (admittedly, this was for the animals, not the plants)
  • Botanic Garden in Buenos Aires with many fine varieties of temperate and subtropical palms
  • Iguazu Falls had all sorts of palms, including many Syagrus species
  • Pantanal in SW Brazil had many tropical palms, albeit different from true rainforest varieties
  • Botanic Garden in Rio de Janeiro for all sorts of tropical palms
  • Lord Howe Island for the Howeas, Hedyscepes, and Lepidorachis
  • Kuranda in Australia for the Archontophoenix and Calamus species
  • Daintree Rainforest in Australia was absolutely covered in Licuala ramsayii
  • Tambopata Reserve in SE Peru had a great variety of palms, including really impressive Mauritia palms
  • All over Madagascar, including Tsingy area, Perinet, Route 7 from Tana to Toliara, and Fort Dauphin
  • This summer we're due to see all the palms at Bogor Botanic Garden and other places around Java, Bali, Komodo, and Borneo

Of these, none really stand above the rest. Nong Nooch is most "dense" but of course it's all cultivated palms. Lord Howe is the most gorgeous, and I guess Nong Nooch and Lord Howe are the most likely to make you say "wow."

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Are you stating that you saw Jubaeas growing on Easter Island? Any pics? I "Googled" for some, but could only find the links about Paschalococos disperta, it's relationship to Jubaea, and how the islanders (or rats) led to it's demise. Cocos does grow there, but I know of no region on earth where Cocos and Jubaea grow happily together (maybe in Hawaii?).

High 57F, Low 46F - rain and wind

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Here's a picture from the airport in Hanga Roa:

IMG_3374s.jpg

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

2006- Seychelles.

I brought back 3 "viable" double c's that did NOT germinate.

2008- Cairns, Australia. I love the tropical north !

Manny

Here's a picture from the airport in Hanga Roa:

IMG_3374s.jpg

Thanks Justin, at least I know now that it's possible. So much for "Googling". I wonder if there are any larger Jubaeas there? Maybe I'll have to go there myself to answer that question.

High 56F, Low 44F - rain, wind, and hail

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego