Oxalis palmifrons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PalmatierMeg

PalmatierMeg

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

I ordered some agaves from a well-known nursery. By chance I stumbled onto their list of Oxalis while looking for something else and found this really cool little species. Its leaves look like tiny Phoenix palm fronds. So neat that I had to have one. Has anyone else grown this bulb from South Africa? Supposedly it is a winter grower but my winter is about over so how much longer (or hotter) can I expect it to grow before going dormant? Anyway, have a look. It is in a 6" pot.

Oxalis palmifrons
Oxalis palmifrons 01 3-11-12.JPG Oxalis palmifrons 02 3-11-12.JPG

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 santoury

santoury

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

I collect Oxalis among many other things, and this is one of my favorite Oxalis. I don't have one at the moment - sweet pickup! If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for it? It's a beauty!
A little off topic, but do you also have O. gigantea ?
I write a plant newsletter, if you would like to be added on my e-mail list! Let me know.

#3 PalmatierMeg

PalmatierMeg

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I collect Oxalis among many other things, and this is one of my favorite Oxalis. I don't have one at the moment - sweet pickup! If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for it? It's a beauty!
A little off topic, but do you also have O. gigantea ?

Hi Jude,

I don't collect Oxalis as a rule, although I have some purple (O. triangularis?) ones planted in the shade garden. Most have croaked over the past several years but one patch just starting sending up leaves.

I got this little guy from ******** in NC (will PM you the name). It's listed on their website only. I paid $11 for it. Their minimum shipping is $17.50 for 1-5 plants, so a little pricey unless you get something else. But they have great stuff. Their agaves were large for the money. My biggest problem is most of their catalog is zone 8 or lower and couldn't survive here.

As this plant wasn't cheap, do you have any suggestions about what to do when/if it goes dormant in my endless summer? Should I leave it outdoors but not water it? Or should I bring it indoors (78-82F) and let it rest? As a rule I don't keep houseplants but I can find a corner to stash it till fall.

Meg

Florida

#4 santoury

santoury

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Yes, I shop there, too - fantastic plants, and you're right on, about the Agaves - massive for the money.
I would leave it outside most of the year, and bring it inside a garage or porch or something to let it rest, when it decides to. I have not had one single issue with Oxalis, other than forgetting to water them occasionally in which case they go dormant, until they get watered again.
This one will probably enjoy being on the drier side, so keep it out of tropical storms :)
I write a plant newsletter, if you would like to be added on my e-mail list! Let me know.

#5 PalmatierMeg

PalmatierMeg

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

Yes, I shop there, too - fantastic plants, and you're right on, about the Agaves - massive for the money.
I would leave it outside most of the year, and bring it inside a garage or porch or something to let it rest, when it decides to. I have not had one single issue with Oxalis, other than forgetting to water them occasionally in which case they go dormant, until they get watered again.
This one will probably enjoy being on the drier side, so keep it out of tropical storms :)

Thanks. BTW, ignore my reply to your PM. This is the info I needed.

My sister-in-law in Raleigh goes to some of their "open to the public weekend sales" they have a couple times a year. She collects Japanese maples. She suggested I come up & attend a sale but the cost of gas & jet fuel make that impossible. Having plants shipped to FL is cheaper.

Meg

Florida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users