• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bangkok....A quick Look

realarch

Just spent 9 days in Thailand and five of those were in Bangkok. I thought I'd share some of my thoughts and opinions for those considering attending the biennial.

It's a vibrant, electric city with the most incredible sights I have ever seen. The people are so nice and the food..........was out of this world. It's also bordering on chaos and the

air quality was pretty poor. Transportation and food are cheap, but be prepared to be stuck in traffic most of the time and we found that to be the most exhausting part of the visit.

If your planning to spend a few days there I'd recommend hiring a taxi at your hotel for the whole day as you travel to and from the sights and back to your accommodation. We found that

to be the best way to get around. The taxi driver will wait for you no matter how long you want to stay at a certain place. The cost is about $30 a day. You won't regret it. Tuk tuks are fun, but

talk about getting gassed, cough, cough. What an experience.

The street food was great and we had no problems other than it being chili hot as hell sometimes. Some of the soups and curries were beyond delicious and you couldn't tell if I was crying because

of the chili or because it was so delicious. Would I visit again? Yes! Would I spend 5 days there? Probably not.

OK, enough text.

post-0-072575600 1331357934_thumb.jpg post-0-056600400 1331357937_thumb.jpg post-0-081553400 1331357939_thumb.jpg

Here are some shots of the Grand Palace. No words to describe this place except that I'm glad I'm not a tile cutter.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-071317700 1331358493_thumb.jpg

Scouting around at one of the garden markets

post-1300-096420000 1331358513_thumb.jpg

How many wires can you count?

post-1300-035425500 1331358541_thumb.jpg

Quiet spot at the Jim Thompson House. A really cool place to visit. Look it up and check it out.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-044226800 1331358778_thumb.jpg

A spirit house and some Bangkok grit.

post-1300-000434600 1331358802_thumb.jpg

Riverside Wat that you can climb about halfway up. The Wat's are EVERYWHERE.

post-1300-096856200 1331358818_thumb.jpg

Living on one of the many canals.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-020294900 1331359163_thumb.jpg

A part of Dusit Palace complex.

post-1300-011720300 1331359166_thumb.jpg

post-1300-065159700 1331359168_thumb.jpg

One book said you might see live elephants in Bangkok. This is as good as it got for us.

post-1300-023427900 1331359171_thumb.jpg

One of the many canals.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Now for the food!

post-1300-070466000 1331359426_thumb.jpg

Mangosteen's everywhere and so cheap. The same for the mango's.

post-1300-018478300 1331359429_thumb.jpg

Lunch at Chatuchak weekend market.

post-1300-086496000 1331359431_thumb.jpg

Made my mouth water, these things were huge.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-028445700 1331359677_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what this was.

post-1300-009619400 1331359680_thumb.jpg

I normally wil try just about anything, but nope, not this time.

post-1300-078711500 1331359682_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

post-1300-027653900 1331359836_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's what I said.

post-1300-081633000 1331359838_thumb.jpg

Lot's a creepy crawly things at the 'wet market'. I wouldn't recommend this for turtle lovers. Hard to take.

post-1300-054357700 1331359841_thumb.jpg

Street BBQ's are everywhere and so many people eat on the run.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks Tim, I had forgotten how spectacular some of the buildings and statues are. Yes the air is too dirty and the temperatures way way too high for me to contemplate going there again. You are braver than me. After getting sick in so many places I wasnt tempted to touch even the most delicious looking samples.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I love food in Bangkok.... best thai food, I reckon!!! Does that mean you are going to the biennial, Tim? Or not? I would rather go to quieter place than Bangkok myself... like Samui or Krabi.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

post-1300-096420000 1331358513_thumb.jpg

How many wires can you count?

Four. All others are cabels :D

Great pics, specialy the market section, give us mooooore..

Edited by dalmatiansoap

Tim,

Thanks a lot for all the great photos and the commentary. And whether you've been there or not, this is going to be a great experience! I certainly look forward to it! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

great pix,tim! cant wait to see it in person!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

great pix,tim! cant wait to see it in person!

Wow, this means your coming along? Great!

Tim,

Great pictures, brings back some great memories as well. I'm really looking forward to going back in september.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

you already knew that i was going,jeff,dont act surprised! :rolleyes:

still "warning-free."

so much to do.... so little money. Anyone wants to give me a money tree??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Glad you're going Paul, we'll have to sneak out and grab some delicious street food.

Look forward to meeting you too Jeff. I'm sure it hasn't changed too much.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

so much to do.... so little money. Anyone wants to give me a money tree??

If I had a money tree I would give it so much fertilizer it wouldnt last a month! :hmm:

Glad you're going Paul, we'll have to sneak out and grab some delicious street food.

Look forward to meeting you too Jeff. I'm sure it hasn't changed too much.

Paul,

It's going to be a wingdinger of a time! :D

Tim,

Same here, alot of new faces will be showing up. I look forward to it!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

jeff easy with the east coast slang,dewd. :huh:

tim i have been practicing in other 3rd world countries so that any GI bacteria i consume will be over-powered by whatever

is already in my gut.

its science!

still "warning-free."

Paul,

Stop washing your hands so much and don't be afraid to get some dirt in your gut. Lord knows I have enough. :hmm:

Don't worry, we'll take care of you newbies.......

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I must have a lot of that killer bacteria as well. I have no idea what some of the stuff I ate was, but no problem. In and .........well, I'll leave it at that.

Ever try the fried roaches?

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for the trip Tim. I would really love to go. But, I am still looking for the same tree Ari is?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks for the note Don, hope you and Ari find than dang tree. Hope to get down to your place in the next year or two........now that's my part of the world.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Don't worry, we'll take care of you newbies.......

still "warning-free."

• 3 weeks later...

Mahalo Tim for sharing some of your experiences and first impressions of Bangkok - the Biennial in September will give us opportunities to see / smell / taste (if we choose to) some of that street food...

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

It's official now, Andy and I will be going back. Just started tonight to look at flights. We plan on arriving somewhere a week before the biennial, maybe 10 days earlier. Starting to get excited, we want to make sure we hit the market for the entire day when it's primarily plant vendors only. If I recall, it was on wednesdays. Were looking to buy a few cool things to bring back once again.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing pics of your recent Thailand trip, whetting our apetite for some of that delicious Thai food! Even though we have a lot of Thai restaurants in the Kona area, there's nothing like the variety and flavors you get in Thailand itself. I'm drooling just thinking about it. I remember as I was there for the last Biennial.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

it seems to me the thai food we have here in san diego is pretty good but i am looking forward to having the REAL thing so i can make a

more educated comparison. :drool:

still "warning-free."

The street food was good, I mean really good and never once was there a 'gastro' problem. I think the key was the freshness. When you see a mortar and pestle grinding away when you order a curry dish

you know it's about as fresh as you can get. If you like crab you're gonna be in heaven. The portion of shelled crab meat was so generous per dish you realize how skimpy the norm usually is.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii