IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona! Speciosa!

DoomsDave

Well, if you grow or know a specimen of L. speciosa near you, the L. speciosa Patrol wants to hear from you!

I've got one, and it's cool, but what about the rest of you?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oh, come on.

Some of you, in So-Cal, a land of 25 million people

have at least TRIED to grow this palm.

sigh

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thats a complete coincidence, last night I was looking up the wild habitate and distribution of the Burmese tortoise Geochelone platynota, criticaly endangered, I found an adult couple for sale and wanted to get some of my facts straight before I launched into action.

Anyway I found a video and what caught my eye besides the tortoise estivating in the leaf litter was a stunner of a palm. Far as I can see a large completely round leaf like a flying saucer , no or invisible split in the leaf where the petiol joins, with ony the very tips of the leaflets split and drooping . In this area it looks like a healthy population as I saw a few leaves in different places (ha haha), might this be Speciosa? I would love it anyway.

huh.gif Cant find the video clips darn it!

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

So where's a photo of your one Dave?! I would love to see it.

cheers

Richard

SIRE!

YOUR WEESH EES MY COMMAND!

post-208-066131800 1331431235_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have one grown from seed that is 12 years old and still only has three leaves... what a slug! But this plant below is supposedly Livistona speciosa (Pauleen's), though there is much debate about it.

LivistonajenkinsianahugeP-1.jpg

post-6141-040710500 1331469571_thumb.jpgpost-6141-051890600 1331469729_thumb.jpgpost-6141-071327900 1331469777_thumb.jpgpost-6141-076984200 1331469813_thumb.jpgpost-6141-005145400 1331469988_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

this is a specimen growing in southern Attica, Greece. It originates from seed collected in the FTG from a specimen labeled 'Livistona sp.'. I suppose sp. stands for speciosa but I am not sure. Beside the pictures all I can add is that it has thiner trunk than Livistona chinensis and the new leaves have a red ligule on the upper side.

post-6141-040710500 1331469571_thumb.jpgpost-6141-051890600 1331469729_thumb.jpgpost-6141-071327900 1331469777_thumb.jpgpost-6141-076984200 1331469813_thumb.jpgpost-6141-005145400 1331469988_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

this is a specimen growing in southern Attica, Greece. It originates from seed collected in the FTG from a specimen labeled 'Livistona sp.'. I suppose sp. stands for speciosa but I am not sure. Beside the pictures all I can add is that it has thiner trunk than Livistona chinensis and the new leaves have a red ligule on the upper side.

Hmm.

I think "sp." means "species" but no one knows what kind. That said, the plant you picture looks like it could be one.

Very nice!

How about some pictures of Greece generally?

• Like 1

Dave, I'm confused...but that is another separate thread..... :lol:

...but in staying on topic, i had thought that L. speciosa was a synonym for L.jenkinsiana....or, is it reversed, or is it resolved...i didnt check with 'The Kew Crew'. :D

A nice palm you have, regardless! :)

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

...but in staying on topic, i had thought that L. speciosa was a synonym for L.jenkinsiana....or, is it reversed, or is it resolved...i didnt check with 'The Kew Crew'. :D

Rusty

Rusty, I was under the same understanding. Livistona jenkinsiana is supposed to be one of the least hardy to cold. Dave, can you grow Saribus rotundifolius? I would guess them to be of similar cold tolerances.

Rusty

They are two species per Palms some time last year. jenkinsiana has larger leaves and seed differences if I remember correctly.

is that variegated? :blink:

Hi Dave,

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Collected fruits were bluish and oval. This is a feature of asian Livistona spss just like Livistona chinensis. On the other hand this plant shows a different cultivational behaviour than latter one. It happen to have both and surely I say to you that this spaecimen needs cooler in summer temps than chinensis and was reletively cold tender in younger age. It follows a picture of my chinensis for comparison.

post-6141-087450200 1331538103_thumb.jpg

Here's my L.jenkinsiana and L.speciosa ... I know, they aren't in California ...sorry...smilie.gif

A few years ago, there was talk they had been lumped into L.jenkinsiana, but according to the Kew checklist they are currently both valid species.

L.speciosa is similar, but has cupped leaves,and the petioles and petiole teeth are different when compared to those of L.jenkinsiana. I know you can't base the species on that, but they are certainly different palms at first glance. I planted mine together to compare them as they grow. Both about the same speed and size. Both about the same hardiness in my climate. I would say they have almost identical cultural requirements. Mine are getting too much shade, but one day will push through the poinciana that dominates that part of my garden now...

LJ on the left and LS on the right...take your pick...

post-42-093324100 1331541473_thumb.jpg

post-42-073055600 1331541478_thumb.jpg post-42-067350800 1331541483_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 4 weeks later...

Rusty

They are two species per Palms some time last year. jenkinsiana has larger leaves and seed differences if I remember correctly.

Those are some interesting links

http://www-public.jcu.edu.au/public/groups/everyone/documents/journal_article/jcuprd1_072209.pdf

http://books.google.gr/books?id=O8_HfArx3PEC&pg=PA133&lpg=PA133&dq=livistona+speciosa+habitat&source=bl&ots=N8q_uW27PO&sig=AljX8EFbdmGNlCLULGcpkf6ggT8&hl=el&sa=X&ei=wghzT_TdEYPgtQberZXIDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=livistona%20speciosa%20habitat&f=false

post-6141-080621300 1333790539_thumb.jpg

The map shows the route of the Mekong river.

I've established contact with the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden and I got informed that there are three specimens tagged as 'Livistona sp.' (located in plot 84a and 84b), collected in Carnavon Range Australia (Livistona nitida?) and along the Mekong river in Thailand. So given that according to collector's testimony the fruit, from which originates my palm, was bluish this plant is probably Livistona speciosa.

• 9 years later...
On 3/10/2012 at 6:01 PM, DoomsDave said:

SIRE!

YOUR WEESH EES MY COMMAND!

post-208-066131800 1331431235_thumb.jpg

Any update on this palm Dave? I have a small one.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I think it's buried under other palms . . . .

1 minute ago, DoomsDave said:

I think it's buried under other palms . . . .

Did it die?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

1 minute ago, freakypalmguy said:

Did it die?

I'll find out.

• Like 1

I'm interested too, I just planted an L. Saribus, L. Speciosa and Saribus Rotundifolia together in the front yard, about 5 feet apart.  They are all about 1.5 foot fan diameter, and have blanched a bit in full sun.  There is a decent sized Speciosa at Leu Gardens, I am sure I have a photo somewhere...

Here’s a few shots of mine, freshly planted a few weeks ago.

6F476771-07B8-42F1-BF7C-901EDEB4DF74.thumb.jpeg.64e61d5477938da921728712f996b5ec.jpeg

DBFF1960-0C72-4D51-B216-8A97B800C2B2.thumb.jpeg.31320a68b34177b9e0073d0d239634e1.jpeg

Matt in Temecula, CA

I found the photo from Leu Gardens.  This is in heavy shade, so it's definitely more stretched out than normal.  These plants are what convinced me that I need a Speciosa!

67819819_LivistonaSpeciosaJenkinsianascaled.thumb.jpg.7128540e2489ad8adebcc58fa7138ed2.jpg

• Like 3