IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's your soil temperature?

Jastin

What is your soil temperature?

I came across a few articles on the effects of root development and plant/root growth. I have dense soil which takes a while to heat up and thus root development is slow( especially in the winter), which means my plants grow slower. Having a lighter soil mix allows the sun to heat the soil faster which speed up the process of root/plant development.

This morning the air temp was 41 degrees at my house and my soil temp was 49 degrees. I checked my garden area with lots of new compost at the same time and it was 70 degrees. I've heard that root development stops at around 55-60 degrees (soil temp)

Root system

http://www.mendeley.com/research/soil-temperature-and-root-growth/

Soil temps and root growth

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/SR9700031.htm

Interesting, I never thought about this...The color of pots effect your plant height

http://www.canr.org/02008.pdf

Edited by Jastin

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I forgot to add that my soil temp of 49 degrees was not mulched. I also checked my mulched planters and they were at 62 degrees!

what are you using to take its temp??? can use my wifes meet thermometer?

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

That's what I used Steve. I put it all the way in so I could get the deepest temp. I figured it was pretty accurate because it always has the the same temp reading as my thermostat in the house.

That's what I used Steve. I put it all the way in so I could get the deepest temp. I figured it was pretty accurate because it always has the the same temp reading as my thermostat in the house.

i just realized i put meet instead of meat

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Your wife's meet thermometer. Classic.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Haven't measured the soil temps but I've dug holes in the middle of winter and early morning you can feel the heat coming out. I have measured the water temp of my bore in the middle of winter and it's a fairly constant 28C. Which is good really, for the plants with the irrigation on cool mornings.