IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Those who travel alot by plane

Urban Rainforest

I have a few questions for those who travel alot by plane or are in the industry. I have not flown since 2010 but I may start flying more soon. I have heard that the tsa is even more selective about what they let onboard now and I was wondering if the following items would be better to put in my carry on luggage or my checked in luggage?

Vitamins and prescription drugs.

Bodybuilding supplements like protien powder and creatine.

Scizzors and nail clippers.

Alcohol.

Liquids like shampoo etc.

I went online to the TSA website and others and the recomendations were very conflicting. I don't want any of my stuff siezed so I'm leaning towards my checked in luggage. I don't mind paying for checked in luggage if my belongings will go unmolested. What say ye experts? Thanks in advance.

Stevo

• Like 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Steve,

I'm definitely no expert since I don't keep up with the official rules and regulations, but I do have a couple of thoughts. First of all, anything valuable should never be put in checked in luggage. Prescription drugs fall into that category. I don't know what the rules are for scissors and nailclippers, so IMO it's better to play it safe and put that in checked luggage. OR it may simply be easier to buy something when you get to your destination. Stuff like shampoo and toothpaste fall in the same category as far as I am concerned. I like to travel light and I also want to avoid any unnecessary hassles with a system that I believe is much more intrusive than it needs to be, so I tend to be very selective with what I put in my carry-on - which is often the ONLY piece of luggage I have. Just my own personal preference. When it comes to alcohol, I have one question: WHY? Why bring alcohol ANYWHERE? Why not simply buy it when you get where you are going? You can't put it in your carry-on because only TINY little mini bottles would be allowed. And I would never put it in my checked in luggage. Why take the risk of something breaking and ruining everything in the suitcase? I never understood the motivation for this. I am sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but when I travel I believe in keeping things simple. The fewer things you have, the less problems you're going to have. And fragile articles - only if absolutely necessary.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Vitamins and prescription drugs - not quite sure... I always put them in checked in luggage

Bodybuilding supplements like protien powder and creatine - can't help with this

Scizzors and nail clippers - checked in luggage only

Alcohol - checked in luggage unless they are duty free bought after you clear customs at the duty free airport

Liquids like shampoo etc - ok on hand luggage if it is not more than 100ml.

I hope that helps!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Steve,

I'm definitely no expert since I don't keep up with the official rules and regulations, but I do have a couple of thoughts. First of all, anything valuable should never be put in checked in luggage. Prescription drugs fall into that category. I don't know what the rules are for scissors and nailclippers, so IMO it's better to play it safe and put that in checked luggage. OR it may simply be easier to buy something when you get to your destination. Stuff like shampoo and toothpaste fall in the same category as far as I am concerned. I like to travel light and I also want to avoid any unnecessary hassles with a system that I believe is much more intrusive than it needs to be, so I tend to be very selective with what I put in my carry-on - which is often the ONLY piece of luggage I have. Just my own personal preference. When it comes to alcohol, I have one question: WHY? Why bring alcohol ANYWHERE? Why not simply buy it when you get where you are going? You can't put it in your carry-on because only TINY little mini bottles would be allowed. And I would never put it in my checked in luggage. Why take the risk of something breaking and ruining everything in the suitcase? I never understood the motivation for this. I am sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but when I travel I believe in keeping things simple. The fewer things you have, the less problems you're going to have. And fragile articles - only if absolutely necessary.

Bo-Göran

Bo, Thanks for all the advice! It seems like traveling light is the way to go. I plan on only wearing basketball shorts and flip flops because I always have to take my belt and shoes socks off. Not sure why I included alcohol because I never have brought any on a plane. I was thinking of our vegas roadies when we stock our mini bar :rolleyes: . Also the extra weight of the bottles in your luggage would be stupid. I know fying back and forth to hawaii they check for plant material which on a few occations the have found in my luggage :D .

Thanks,

Stevo

• Like 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Vitamins and prescription drugs - not quite sure... I always put them in checked in luggage

Bodybuilding supplements like protien powder and creatine - can't help with this

Scizzors and nail clippers - checked in luggage only

Alcohol - checked in luggage unless they are duty free bought after you clear customs at the duty free airport

Liquids like shampoo etc - ok on hand luggage if it is not more than 100ml.

I hope that helps!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Thanks Ari for the info.

Stevo

• Like 1

I travel quite a bit for business so here is what I know.

Shampoos, toothpaste, etc. must be 3OZ or less and it all must fit in a clear, sealable quart size plastic bag. The airport here in West Palm has the bags available for free. Presription drugs and over the counter meds (pills anyway) don't count. I would never check any prescription drugs. No alcohol (except in 3 OZ or lesss) can be carried on unless you buy it after security. Blunt scissors can be carried on. Empty metal bottles and thermos can be carried on board. I always pack my metal water bottle and fill it up once I am through security. To avoid any issues, I take it out of my briefcase for security.

Unlike most people, I am a big believer in filling up that big empty space beneath the cabin of the plane and usually check my bags. It is worth the extra money not to lug that crap around and have to worry about finding a place to store it on the plane. If I am going on vacation,I will take a backpack on board - that will fit under the seat - that has my toiletries and a change of clothes. I travel really light anyway,never taking more than a small suitcase and my backpack. Most places have laudry facilities and if I forget something I can buy it. When I go on horse trips, I take my old riding clothes and just leave themso I have room for anything I buy. I can't beleive the amount of luggage some people have. What in the world do they put in those giant suitcases? And who wants to haul them around?

I think the airlines have it all wrong about the baggage fees. They say they want people to check their ags but then they charge for that. Seems to me if you want people to check their bags, let that be free and charge for carryon! Reward the behavior you want. Basic psychology. And at least enforce the rules about size and number of carryons.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Not on your list, but flying to Vegas about a year ago I saw a lady have her jars of jam/jellies confiscated. Of course the infamous snow globes. Common souvenir type stuff.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I travel often enough to have some experience with tsa, and have never had a problem.

I am in the "check the luggage" camp. I often travel alone, and hauling bags into an airport restroom is a non-starter! However, I won't check anything that is difficult to replace or valuable.

Things I put in my carry-on:

-Prescription drugs

-Camera and accessories

-Computer and accessories

-Jewelry

Yes! It's a heavy carry-on! I put anything I want to wear that would have to be removed for screening (belt, jewelry) in my bag before leaving for the airport and put it on when I get to my gate.

Things I have been known to put in my checked luggage:

-Too many clothes

-Too many shoes

-Coffee

-Cheeses, very thoroughly wrapped, and wrapped again

-Plants and seeds (only on very rare occasions, and I am not recommending it)

-Cosmetics, creams, sunscreen, etc.

If I will be staying in a hotel, I count on using the little shampoos and lotions they provide. If I need some particular grooming item, Target and Bed Bath and Beyond sell everything you can imagine in the small travel size.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Steve:

I'm no expert, but prescriptions should be no problem, as long as it's obvious what they are. All in carry-ons, definitely.

Went to Hawaii last December.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hmmm... I wonder if they can catch you with the small items. I was at jury duty last year and the metal scanner did not catch my little pocket knife(forgot about it). Hehehe... I even spilled coffee all over the table behind the scanner.

BTW, I just got a titanium rod for my new implant. I wonder if this will affect me the next time I fly. This could lead to a cavity/strip search. :(

Edited by BigFrond

lay off the roids Steve

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hmmm... I wonder if they can catch you with the small items. I was at jury duty last year and the metal scanner did not catch my little pocket knife(forgot about it). Hehehe... I even spilled coffee all over the table behind the scanner.

BTW, I just got a titanium rod for my new implant. I wonder if this will affect me the next time I fly. This could lead to a cavity/strip search. :(

That's a good question!

My research, such as it is, shows no problem.

(On the other hand, those old-fashioned heart valves used to rattle and rattle the guards . . . . )

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

lay off the roids Steve

:lol:post-351-002682400 1331085503_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks again to all who replied! I have a much clearer picture of what I can and can't bring and where to stash what. My wife worked a flight to the Bahamas today and the flight was delayed 3 hr. because the safety tags on the seatbelts had wore off :blink: .

Stevo

• Like 1

It shouldn't affect you. I have a titanium rod in my lower leg and I've never been stopped or been subject to extra security.

• Like 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

It shouldn't affect you. I have a titanium rod in my lower leg and I've never been stopped or been subject to extra security.

Thanks! Cool, we're almost like the 6 million dollars man. :mrlooney:

Steve,

You've been lifting weight. :mrlooney: I'm a hardcore too. I see JoePalma pumping iron at the gym too. Hehehe... I stay away from the protein stuff because of the "gas" issue.

Edited by BigFrond

Thanks! Cool, we're almost like the 6 million dollars man. :mrlooney:

Steve,

You've been lifting weight. :mrlooney: I'm a hardcore too. I see JoePalma pumping iron at the gym too. Hehehe... I stay away from the protein stuff because of the "gas" issue.

Big Frond, Yeah, I've been lifting for 40 yrs. since I was 12 yrs. old. I've never touched roids of ant kind. Just protien powder and creatine. In that picture I actually got a good workout weilding the machette in the back 40 of our place in Leilani!

As for the titanium rod you may be ok but my wife has a titanium knee and gets the full body scan shakedown feelup everytime she flies.

Stevo

• Like 1

I just returned from vacation, and experienced a new, and yet more stupid restriction. After clearing security I normally fill my reusable, metal water botttle from the bathroom sink in the gate area.

(I am too cheap to purchase botttled water, :winkie: )

We were subjected to an additional check of carry-on items at the gate just before boarding. My water was rejected, I had to return to the bathroom to dump it, and nearly missed the plane. This happened in Buenos Aires and also in Dallas/Ft Worth. I didn't notice if other passengers with the plastic bottled purchased water were restricted or not. How does the TSA determine that the bottled water in the gate area is safe? How do they decide that it it more safe than the bathroom tap water INSIDE the gate area?

Recent internet examples of banned items include a cupcake, (gel-like frosting) and an leather purse with an embroidered pistol on the surface. Most of the TSA activities are trivial. I had to remove a belt of nylon fabric with a plastic buckle, and my Panama fedora hat had to pass through the x-ray scanner.

This is political theater to reassure the public. No one is more safe when an apprehensive six year old boy must go through the nudie scan. Other countries have safe aviation with less intrusive practises. This is not politically correct because it involves profiling.

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

I just returned from vacation, and experienced a new, and yet more stupid restriction. After clearing security I normally fill my reusable, metal water botttle from the bathroom sink in the gate area.

(I am too cheap to purchase botttled water, :winkie: )

We were subjected to an additional check of carry-on items at the gate just before boarding. My water was rejected, I had to return to the bathroom to dump it, and nearly missed the plane. This happened in Buenos Aires and also in Dallas/Ft Worth. I didn't notice if other passengers with the plastic bottled purchased water were restricted or not. How doess the TSA determine that the bottled water in the gate area is safe? How do they decide that it it more safe than the bathroom tap water INSIDE the gate area?

Recent internet examples of banned items include a cupcake, (gel-like frosting) and an leather purse with an embroidered pistol on the surface. Most of the TSA activities are trivial. I had to remove a belt of nylon fabric with a plastic buckle, and my Panama fedora hat had to pass through the x-ray scanner.

This is political theater to reassure the public. No one is more safe when an apprehensive six year old boy must go through the nudie scan. Other countries have safe aviation with less intrusive practises. This is not politically correct because it involves profiling.

Please remember not to veer into the political aspects regarding searches, seizures, scans, etc.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I'm still rather tired from 36 hours of airport/airplane/taxi. I was also ordered to remove my passport from my shirt pocket and to hold it opened in my hand.

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

The main reason why I am very hesitant about flying to the US. My Indonesian passport would be a big problem, I think....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"