• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Tyrone

Tyrone

• IPS MEMBER
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

Hmm.

Hydrogen is combustible, and a byproduct of burning it is -- water vapor.

Don't know about you, but if we started burning H we might usher in a era of climate change. Water vapor forms clouds, which might block the sun and lower the temperature.

Someone correct me, about the chemistry, anyway.

your right dave. water vapor is (i think) the #1 proven greenhouse gas. if the reason to switch to H is only for getting rid of Co2 then IMO you could make a problem worse. with hydrogen fusion the only byproduct is helium (an inert gas). fusion will change the world. weve made a fusion reactor using lasers but as of now it takes more energy than it produces. they say in 20 years we will be able to make fusion a reality. the problem with gasoline is that its a very efficient form of energy. so until we can come up with something more efficient gas is going to be king.

I thought California could do with a bit more humidity to grow palms with.Posted Image

Just condense the water vapour and collect it from the exhaust, mix it with fish and seaweed solution and feed it to your palms. Simple. Posted Image

Millbrook, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Winter 8C to 16C min/max, Summer 15C to 24C min/max. Approx 850mm rainfall with a winter peak. Driest month Feb with 25mm. 9km (5miles) from Southern Ocean. 6km (3.5miles) from Oyster Harbour. 13m asl. 1/3 clay, 2/3 peat soil on a flood plain.

It rains 6 months of the year and the other 6 months it continues dripping off the trees. 

The Tropical Look

PalmTalk Advertising

#42 Stevetoad

Stevetoad

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hmm.

Hydrogen is combustible, and a byproduct of burning it is -- water vapor.

Don't know about you, but if we started burning H we might usher in a era of climate change. Water vapor forms clouds, which might block the sun and lower the temperature.

Someone correct me, about the chemistry, anyway.

your right dave. water vapor is (i think) the #1 proven greenhouse gas. if the reason to switch to H is only for getting rid of Co2 then IMO you could make a problem worse. with hydrogen fusion the only byproduct is helium (an inert gas). fusion will change the world. weve made a fusion reactor using lasers but as of now it takes more energy than it produces. they say in 20 years we will be able to make fusion a reality. the problem with gasoline is that its a very efficient form of energy. so until we can come up with something more efficient gas is going to be king.

I thought California could do with a bit more humidity to grow palms with.Posted Image

Just condense the water vapour and collect it from the exhaust, mix it with fish and seaweed solution and feed it to your palms. Simple. Posted Image

:lol: id like to change my micro climate too
"it's not dead it's sleeping"
Santee ca, zone10a/9b
18 miles from the ocean
avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

#43 scottgt

scottgt

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Propane is about $17.75 for 25lb tank in Guatemala.It is usually only used as a cooking fuel.
El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c
Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

#44 CardiffPalmNut

CardiffPalmNut

• IPS MEMBER
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

CNG is a good solution, at least here in California where Natural gas is readily available, you can covert the average vehicle for around $4-6K ( depends on how much range you need, and this still allows you to run on gasoline when needed) CNG is readliy availablly commercially (todays price was $2.41 gallon) and gives you about 88% the efficiency of gasoline. If you buy a condenser for use at home ( about a $2K investment) your price drops to approximately $1,25 per gallon. Two of my neighbors are converting this week, and I think my Expedition is headed for it also!

FINS!
Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2
1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

#45 Alan_Tampa

Alan_Tampa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

Didn't Mazda make have a model with a rotary engine? i thought it was called the Wenkal rotary engine and I think they put it one of those little speedy jobs.

Alan
Tampa, Florida
Zone - 10a

#46 Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

CNG is a good solution, at least here in California where Natural gas is readily available, you can covert the average vehicle for around $4-6K ( depends on how much range you need, and this still allows you to run on gasoline when needed) CNG is readliy availablly commercially (todays price was $2.41 gallon) and gives you about 88% the efficiency of gasoline. If you buy a condenser for use at home ( about a $2K investment) your price drops to approximately $1,25 per gallon. Two of my neighbors are converting this week, and I think my Expedition is headed for it also!

FINS!

Hmmmmm - So let's say you saved $2/gal, and it costs you $6000 to convert, and you get 20 mi/gal - that would mean you would need to buy 3000 gals to "pay for" the conversion. And if you got 20 mi/gal that would mean you start breaking even around 60,000 miles. So I guess depending on the different variables (miles/gal, condenser or not, price per gal saved), that would mean you need to drive between 50,000 - 75,000 miles in that vehicle before you started saving any money.

Any idea what this does to the resale value of the vehicle, insurance costs, and to any ongoing maintenance costs?
Posted Image
PALM & COMPANION PLANT RESOURCE
Posted Image
Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

#47 Alan_Tampa

Alan_Tampa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

Um, just a note. If the hydrogen used in fuels comes from water which is already part of the water cycle then you have net zero gain also I think it would be an immpossibilty to out do the water evaporated from the ocean every day.

Alan
Tampa, Florida
Zone - 10a

#48 Alan_Tampa

Alan_Tampa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

wankel rotary engine:

http://en.wikipedia....l_Rotary_Engine

Alan
Tampa, Florida