• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

US Propane prices

Tyrone

Hmm.

Hydrogen is combustible, and a byproduct of burning it is -- water vapor.

Don't know about you, but if we started burning H we might usher in a era of climate change. Water vapor forms clouds, which might block the sun and lower the temperature.

Someone correct me, about the chemistry, anyway.

your right dave. water vapor is (i think) the #1 proven greenhouse gas. if the reason to switch to H is only for getting rid of Co2 then IMO you could make a problem worse. with hydrogen fusion the only byproduct is helium (an inert gas). fusion will change the world. weve made a fusion reactor using lasers but as of now it takes more energy than it produces. they say in 20 years we will be able to make fusion a reality. the problem with gasoline is that its a very efficient form of energy. so until we can come up with something more efficient gas is going to be king.

I thought California could do with a bit more humidity to grow palms with.laugh.gif

Just condense the water vapour and collect it from the exhaust, mix it with fish and seaweed solution and feed it to your palms. Simple. laugh.gif

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hmm.

Hydrogen is combustible, and a byproduct of burning it is -- water vapor.

Don't know about you, but if we started burning H we might usher in a era of climate change. Water vapor forms clouds, which might block the sun and lower the temperature.

Someone correct me, about the chemistry, anyway.

your right dave. water vapor is (i think) the #1 proven greenhouse gas. if the reason to switch to H is only for getting rid of Co2 then IMO you could make a problem worse. with hydrogen fusion the only byproduct is helium (an inert gas). fusion will change the world. weve made a fusion reactor using lasers but as of now it takes more energy than it produces. they say in 20 years we will be able to make fusion a reality. the problem with gasoline is that its a very efficient form of energy. so until we can come up with something more efficient gas is going to be king.

I thought California could do with a bit more humidity to grow palms with.laugh.gif

Just condense the water vapour and collect it from the exhaust, mix it with fish and seaweed solution and feed it to your palms. Simple. laugh.gif

:lol: id like to change my micro climate too

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Propane is about $17.75 for 25lb tank in Guatemala.It is usually only used as a cooking fuel.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 2 weeks later...

CNG is a good solution, at least here in California where Natural gas is readily available, you can covert the average vehicle for around $4-6K ( depends on how much range you need, and this still allows you to run on gasoline when needed) CNG is readliy availablly commercially (todays price was $2.41 gallon) and gives you about 88% the efficiency of gasoline. If you buy a condenser for use at home ( about a $2K investment) your price drops to approximately $1,25 per gallon. Two of my neighbors are converting this week, and I think my Expedition is headed for it also!

FINS!

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Didn't Mazda make have a model with a rotary engine? i thought it was called the Wenkal rotary engine and I think they put it one of those little speedy jobs.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

CNG is a good solution, at least here in California where Natural gas is readily available, you can covert the average vehicle for around $4-6K ( depends on how much range you need, and this still allows you to run on gasoline when needed) CNG is readliy availablly commercially (todays price was $2.41 gallon) and gives you about 88% the efficiency of gasoline. If you buy a condenser for use at home ( about a $2K investment) your price drops to approximately $1,25 per gallon. Two of my neighbors are converting this week, and I think my Expedition is headed for it also!

FINS!

Hmmmmm - So let's say you saved $2/gal, and it costs you $6000 to convert, and you get 20 mi/gal - that would mean you would need to buy 3000 gals to "pay for" the conversion. And if you got 20 mi/gal that would mean you start breaking even around 60,000 miles. So I guess depending on the different variables (miles/gal, condenser or not, price per gal saved), that would mean you need to drive between 50,000 - 75,000 miles in that vehicle before you started saving any money.

Any idea what this does to the resale value of the vehicle, insurance costs, and to any ongoing maintenance costs?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Um, just a note. If the hydrogen used in fuels comes from water which is already part of the water cycle then you have net zero gain also I think it would be an immpossibilty to out do the water evaporated from the ocean every day.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a