IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas revoluta X Cycas debaoensis

mike2748

Hand pollinated seeds

1.00 per seed free shipping for 100 or more

Also have (Cycas taiwanianna x Cycas revoluta) x Cycas debaoensis 1.00 each

post-4156-081732300 1330892953_thumb.jpg

Hand pollinated seeds

This is a picture of the same cross almost all of the plants go bipinnate This picture is after 2 or 3 heavy frosts

For the people who I shipped to My local post office is pretty sad.....

Some of the packages maybe delivered with 25 cents postage due

The carrier and postmaster don't seem to know what they are charging to ship this week.....

Sorry for any problems

Mike

Mike, got my seeds Friday in good shape. Shipment was fast, seeds are clean, and look good and are packed properly for those that have not ordered. Please Mike, if you can, let us know how long these seed should be held before actually planting? I refer here to an article by Tom Broome http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/horticulture/seeds.htm

This write up says " As a general rule, most embryos will become mature approximately 12 months after the initial pollination occurs". In other words, the seed embryos grow inside the seed even after harvest. Planting too soon can be bad. So far I have had better results with "Cycas" cycads by waiting before planting, for the embryos to mature. If you are not sure about when to plant these seed that is perfectly understandable. In that case a guess at the date of pollination would help. (I would then just plant them one year later). Thanks for this rare cross. Can't wait to try them.

quote name='mike2748' timestamp='1330893025' post='516064']

Hand pollinated seeds

I would hold these seeds for about 2 months before planting

Working on seedling pictures my phone really sucks for pictures...

The seedlings look alot like revoluta but almost all have split by the 3 or fourth leaf

I did but a batch of seeds from RPS rev x deb that are obviously straight debaoensis

Thanks for that info and the seeds Mike. I will plant around the 10th of June. Until then the seeds will be kept inside and in the bag they were shipped in (with woodchips) and with just a tiny bit of moisture added every month or so. I have had great luck keeping clean seeds like this not damp to the touch, but not letting the air inside their storage bag dry out either.

Hand pollinated seeds

Hi Mike,got my seeds today,they look great,If they turn out as good as the last batch,I will be real happy !they are doing real good,its is real hard to tell them from my pure debs. Thank you! Steve

• 1 month later...

I figured I'd cut open one of the revXdeb seeds to check on their development. Looks like good embryo development. One or two months away from planting. Very good seed quality.

post-4986-013981900 1334557870_thumb.jpg

I still have a large number of seeds ready for ne homes.

The older plants (3-4year-olds are pushing huge leaves I will get some pictures as they open

they look like ferns

I still have a large number of seeds ready for ne homes.

The older plants (3-4year-olds are pushing huge leaves I will get some pictures as they open

they look like ferns

Heya Mike, I am interested in a smaller amount that 100, I would like 20 seed if possible. pls reply with all info so that I may send you payment, Thanks

Felix

Got my seeds todays, they look nice and clean.

Ive had good luck placing cycad seeds in coco fiber, in a zip lock, It has very little moisture straight out the bag, but does have some so you dont have to wet it like peat, keeps the seeds insulated and they sprout in there when they are ready. You couldnt sqeeze any water out of it, Its works very good at not rotting any seed, Just watch out soil gnats love it.

Would you ship to australia and ill pay shiping if not i understand thanks

Dear All,

I don't have the patience of you seed germinators so I made a request of Mike. He sold me two three year old plants and took great care in shipping them to me. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL and as advertised. They are going to be planted this weekend.

THANKS Mike

Patrick

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

• 1 month later...

Mine are starting to germinate now. Have potted two up and there are several more splitting and poking roots out.

Thanks Mike :D