IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Close Call

PalmGuyWC

Hi All,

It nice to be back home after a 9 day stay in the hospital. On Feb 20th I collapsed on my kitchen floor and an ambulance was called. The hospital is only 5 minutes from my house. Upon arrival I was conscious, but I don't remember much from the first 3 days. Day 2 and 3 I was in IC and I don't remember any of that. and maybe it's just as well.

It was found that I had a huge ulcer in my small intestine and it had eaten into an artery and I was bleeding profusely. I really didn't know I had an ulcer. It was found I was very anemic and my blood count was only 9 where normal is around 14 to 16. The leaking artery was cauterized and I was given 3 units of blood. Once stabilized I was given extensive tests and it was also found after a cat -scan that I had small blood clots in one of the lobes of my lungs. Because of the leaking artery they couldn't give me blood thinners, so an "umbrella" with a mesh was inserted into an artery to keep clots from moving to my lungs or brain. The unbrella sounds scary and there was some risk, but it was painless and the actual procedure only lasted about 5 minutes.

Now that I'm home with my dogs and palms, I feel 100% better. There will be some weeks of physical therapy to regain my strength, and some big changes in my life style. I'm on my feet today so am ready to entertain so if anyone is passing through my neck of the woods, please drop by.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick

I am truly sorry to hear what has happened. Fortunately, you sound like you are doing so much better. I truly believe with you being back home with your dogs and your amazing garden that it will be therapy in itself!!! I wish you a strong and speedy recovery. You are an asset to the palm community and I believe everyone here wishes you a big "Welcome Back".

Cheers!

Tin

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

yike!

3 units of blood??!?!?

That's a lot.

Close calls are so much better than direct hits!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dick, sorry to hear what happened. I'm sure it was a scary experience. Glad to know that you are home with your dogs and palms. I don't know what I would do without either of mine! Speedy recovery to you!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

WOW Dick! VERY glad to know you are OK!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dick,

I am so sorry to hear about this medical emergency, and I'm glad that you're back home with your dogs and your palms! :) I know how important that is to you so enjoy! And just take it easy during the recovery, and I'm sure you'll be back to normal in no time! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dick

please hang in there keep posting and enjoying life --- I hope to get out to CA and visit your garden a gain --- I remember the warm hospitality of the last visit.

Best wishes,

Ed

I am glad you are back home--We don't know each other, but good luck with the life changes--I am wishing you the best!

Get well soon Dick! Scary stuff man. Take care of yourself.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Looks like you have to change something in your life. Have a nice change and a good recovery. Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

speedy recovery!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Good luck Dick.

Also, adding a little pepper to that diet will help with the ulcers. I prefer Cayenne.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Dick, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! Thanks for popping in here to recount your experience, your palm friends care about you. Stay in touch!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dick, I haven't met you, but that does not matter here on PalmTalk. :)

Take care and I'm sure you are happy to be back home. Just know all here on PalmTalk are wishing you a speedy recovery.

KPL

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

This unfortunate incident may have actually saved your life.

I had the pleasure of getting the tour of your amazing garden a few years ago...when in SF this fall...I'd like to come back

What kind of changes must you make to stay healthy?

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Glad you are on the mend, your garden is an inspiration to people who live in temperate climates. Take care of yourself or I will be after your hide.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

best wishes father.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dick, wishing you a quick and complete recovery

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I don't know you, except on here, but you are big part of this palm thing that gives me so much joy. I'm glad you have remained with us and will continue to enrich our lives directly and indirectly. Later amigo.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Dick,

I'm so very sorry to hear about this incident. I spoke with Chuck today and he said he had a good visit and was very impressed with your amazing garden. Take good care of yourself.

Jason

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Dear Palm Friends,

Thanks for your kind words and well wishes. Your comments raise my spirits. I'm feeling much better, but I'm not out of the woods yet. It's 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards. I guess it will take awhile to regain my strength.

Thanks again for your support.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick - you being home is the very best medicine. Good news to hear your doing much better. We definitely don't spring back as fast like in the younger years. :lol:

Kindest regards,

Ron :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Dick,

It's so good to hear that your feeling much better and back home...where you belong amongst your great collection of palms. You truly are one of the legends of palm collectors in all of California. Take care of yourself my friend.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A friend recently had bleeding ulcers of the stomach, due to consuming a lot of ibuprofen--he was too busy to visit the dentist. He's fortunately back from the ordeal and in fine shape.

I had my own hospitalization in February, an infected and ruptured appendix that triggered further problems. I feel betrayed by my own gut flora. It's taking a while to recover and I'm still not willing to drive more than about 15 minutes. Fortunately, the yard suffered very little.

Best wishes with recovery. I have no bright ideas for managing your gut flora (or mine), though it does turn out that spicy south Asian and Mexican cuisines have very definite effects on your internal ecosystem.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dick hope you make a speedy recovery to enjoy that fabulous garden .

post-1252-047344800 1331450428_thumb.jpg

I still dream about this Trithrinax campestris it's a beauty !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hi Friends,

Thanks again for your kind words. It turns out my problems began last summer, but I ignored the problem. Twice last summer my legs turned to rubber and down I went. I couldn't ignore the most recent episode. There may be a silver lining somewhere as the blood clots in my lung wouldn't have been found without the ulcer and all of the tests they gave me in the hospital. I wrenched my back twice when I fell, so I have been on pain killers for the back which works against me getting the proper exercise. No more ibuprofen, acohol, or cigaretts for me. I still get dizzy sometimes when I stand up and being on my feet to long makes my back hurt.

I don't dare drive yet, but I have a man Friday who drives for me and baby sits with me during the day. I expect I will need him around for at least another couple of weeks. He's also my gardener and does other chores around the house. We have had fantastic weather in N. Calif for the past few weeks with daytime highs in the high 60's, low 70's so I sit outside as much as I can. Rain is due tonight and for the next week, and we need it, as we are in a drought.

Take care all, and if you have any physical problems that you can't explain, don't ignore them as it could be something serious.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Whoa, Dick this is the first I have heard of this. So glad you are feeling better. See you soon.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Just came across this thread.

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery and back home.

You can't ask for a nicer place to get better.

Hope to get down your way again soon.

Bob

So glad to hear you are getting well-deserved attention.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

We wish you a speedy recovery. Surrounded by palms & dogs should help. :D

-Randy & Deb

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Dick so glad you're doing better! Loved ones and pets really are some of the best medicine.

A small change in lifestyle can make a huge difference, for me no alcohol or orange juice.

Hope to someday visit your garden.

Take care.

Your Palm pal,

Roger.

Scary Dick, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend . I haven't had a San Francisco layover since I was last at your place, but If I do, I'd definitely like to come and visit again. I've been flying mostly to Japan and Hawaii, but have noticed some trips lately that layover in SF before going to Hawaii, so I'll keep my eyes open for one of those.

Take care,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the message, and love to see you. Hope you get that SF layover soon. Congrats on your Butia X P. sunkha cross. It should make a stunning hybrid.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Friends,

Thanks again for your kind words. It turns out my problems began last summer, but I ignored the problem. Twice last summer my legs turned to rubber and down I went. I couldn't ignore the most recent episode. There may be a silver lining somewhere as the blood clots in my lung wouldn't have been found without the ulcer and all of the tests they gave me in the hospital. I wrenched my back twice when I fell, so I have been on pain killers for the back which works against me getting the proper exercise. No more ibuprofen, acohol, or cigaretts for me. I still get dizzy sometimes when I stand up and being on my feet to long makes my back hurt.

I don't dare drive yet, but I have a man Friday who drives for me and baby sits with me during the day. I expect I will need him around for at least another couple of weeks. He's also my gardener and does other chores around the house. We have had fantastic weather in N. Calif for the past few weeks with daytime highs in the high 60's, low 70's so I sit outside as much as I can. Rain is due tonight and for the next week, and we need it, as we are in a drought.

Take care all, and if you have any physical problems that you can't explain, don't ignore them as it could be something serious.

Dick

I don't know you personally but your garden has always been such an inspiration (and I have a few of the hybrids descended from your trees)! Im currently finishing up my cardiology and blood unit and med school and you make an important point, dont ignore what your body is telling you! Im glad to hear that they caught it in time to keep something really bad from happening. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm still "mending" but slowly. I still get dizzy sometimes when I stand and I have no energy or appetite. My biggest shock recently was when I got the preliminary charges for my stay at the hospital, Dr. visits, etc.It is no wonder that MediCare is going broke. The hospital bill for 9 days was/is $239,000.. Two days in intensive care came to $45,000. Fortunately Midicare and my supplemental insurance will pay for most of it. Costs out of my own pocket will probably come to about $1500. Shoving Grandma off the cliff might not be as farfetched as we think.

Dick

Richard Douglas

WHAT ! :mrlooney: 239k !!!!! I nearly fell off the chair !

I nearly fell over !

It's no wonder the travel agent told me " no matter what make sure you and Danylle take out full medical insurance for your trip to the USA " !!!

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hi Troy,

Do you happen to remember how much the med insurance cost? I know it's expensive. A friend of mine and his wife were going to Denmark, and at the last minute, the wife who is a nurse, took travel insurance for both of them. Sure enough William fell down a flight of stone stairs and broke all kinds of bones. The insurance covered all of his medical expenses in Denmark, and also paid for a row of 1st class seats for a stretcher to fly him back to Los Angeles.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi all,

I'm still "mending" but slowly. I still get dizzy sometimes when I stand and I have no energy or appetite. My biggest shock recently was when I got the preliminary charges for my stay at the hospital, Dr. visits, etc.It is no wonder that MediCare is going broke. The hospital bill for 9 days was/is $239,000.. Two days in intensive care came to $45,000. Fortunately Midicare and my supplemental insurance will pay for most of it. Costs out of my own pocket will probably come to about $1500. Shoving Grandma off the cliff might not be as farfetched as we think.

Dick

WOW! That's a lot. :blink:

But you're worth it!

Recover soon!

But don't push too hard. Sounds like you missed the Reaper a bit narrowly . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.