• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another first for me... but question on Avocados

BS Man about Palms

My bag of chips got stale.. I need a new bag..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 11 months later...

Yippee!

My first one is growing.. Sadly i saw a bunch "set" prior to the heat wave.. This was a little bigger than a a pea then.

Now it appears to be the only one left.

sooo.. :yay::crying:

post-27-0-46941200-1401226202_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

yeah, that hot dry air will cause fruit to drop

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 7 months later...

Yippee!

My first one is growing.. Sadly i saw a bunch "set" prior to the heat wave.. This was a little bigger than a a pea then.

Now it appears to be the only one left.

sooo.. :yay::crying:

Bill -how large overall are your trees now ?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 3 months later...

Moose, about 7-8' tall... the same one that had a fruit last year now has 50+ again... I see at least 10 already "big pea" sized this year... heres hoping... I just stepped up with another dripper a couple weeks ago too.

• 1 month later...

Some in the pipeline.. some with "sunburn"? I was looking the other day and found a peanut sized one on the ground. I cut it in half and popped out the seed and nibbled on it whole... actually not bad! I would eat one again at that size.. :)

post-27-0-32267400-1434126411_thumb.jpg post-27-0-07736700-1434126494_thumb.jpg

Those will be next year's Hass which will ripen in about December/January

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Its a "dwarf".. but could be a dwarf Haas?

• 8 months later...

This is a pic of the first one I harvested in October or November.. But slowly been eating them and down to the last one on the tree. The harvest was only 12 or 13, but hey.. OFF MY TREE

20151208_111822_resized.jpg

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

This is a pic of the first one I harvested in October or November.. But slowly been eating them and down to the last one on the tree. The harvest was only 12 or 13, but hey.. OFF MY TREE

20151208_111822_resized.jpg

I had to bulldoze about 20 or so 40yr old heavily fruiting Hass  trees to make way for the vista garden. :( 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

:bemused::blink::crying:

• Upvote 1

That looks like a 'Wurtz'.  I have just started picking mine.  They tend to have a richer flavor if they left on the tree fro a longer period of time.  This may lead to alternate bearing as my has hardly any flowers on it this year.

I realize having grown mine from seed that's it's a crapshot as to whether the fruit would even be edible; however, I am curious if anybody has ever managed to get an avocado to fruit in a container?  

This is purely me wanting to put that "fruiting tree" feather in my cap, but is there anything I can do to promote flowering and/or fruiting?  Tree has been trimmed back a couple times now, but is over 7 feet tall and nearly 5 years old.

Cheers!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

11 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

I realize having grown mine from seed that's it's a crapshot as to whether the fruit would even be edible; however, I am curious if anybody has ever managed to get an avocado to fruit in a container?  

This is purely me wanting to put that "fruiting tree" feather in my cap, but is there anything I can do to promote flowering and/or fruiting?  Tree has been trimmed back a couple times now, but is over 7 feet tall and nearly 5 years old.

Cheers!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it takes at least 7-8 years to fruit from seed (one reason to buy grafted plants).  This is just hazy recall though!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I have read that as well.  However, my grafted plants fruited in the 3rd year.   

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

13 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Cheers!

They will fruit when grown from seed in containers.  My buddy has one which has done so.  But it tends to be rare.  

Rule of thumb is that trees take about 3 years to fruit and 5 to become profitable producers in a commercial grove.

On 3/4/2016, 8:02:52, Josh-O said:

I had to bulldoze about 20 or so 40yr old heavily fruiting Hass  trees to make way for the vista garden. :( 

:crying: That's a lot of money you bulldozed.

7 minutes ago, Hammer said:

:crying: That's a lot of money you bulldozed.

I keep 7 trees. They are actually incorporated into the garden.

It coast more to water them than the fruit was worth.

each tree yielded around 250-300 avos and 99% rotted on the ground

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24