Steve Jobs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sur4z

sur4z

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

I just finished Walter Issacson's biography of Steve Jobs. GREAT BOOK! Jobs was a petulant sh#t but he changed the world and saved the record companies. I never wanted an Ipad but I do now. What a visionary...he always said he didn't want market studies because he said the consumer didnn't know they wanted his devises until he showed it to them. Everything he made was sleek, simple and pleasing to the eye which made you want to hold it (like me).
The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here
That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from
Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere
--Avett Bros

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Kim

Kim

Learning by heart

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 5,318 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

So are you flying to Cupertino for the March 7 unveiling? The invitation says, "Something You Really have to See. And Touch" That is a biography I must read.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, USA
All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental
anm23bea44cd09109b5.gif

#3 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,684 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Mr.J was a master at selling expensive stuff at high markups, and that's no small talent.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

#4 Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

One of the better books I've read in a long time. For anyone who thinks it's only about Apple and Jobs, there are many things to learn about the birth of the personal/consumer computer era, and life in general. IMO - a must read. Plus, Kona was his favorite vacation destination. :)
Posted Image
PALM & COMPANION PLANT RESOURCE
Posted Image
Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

#5 sur4z

sur4z

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Mr.J was a master at selling expensive stuff at high markups, and that's no small talent.

Actually Dave, the book reveals something different. Jobs always wanted to keep the price down BUT he wanted his products to be superior to all others so "perfection" drove the price up. Jobs was never about the money...he was about the product.
The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here
That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from
--Avett Bros

#6 Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Actually Dave, the book reveals something different. Jobs always wanted to keep the price down BUT he wanted his products to be superior to all others so "perfection" drove the price up. Jobs was never about the money...he was about the product.

I couldn't agree more.

People take many things for granted that Steve (and I say Steve because it was mostly one man's vision) launched, refined, defined, or created as user friendly and functionally simple yet elegant.
- The mouse and today's GUI operating systems
- The personal computer itself

Three top of the line revolutionary consumer products that everyone continues to chase for market share
- MP3 player with video
- The first usable tablet that will continue to change how the world computes - mostly and hopefully in education - and third world countries
- Blew up the smart phone market with a truly revolutionary product

- Changed and integrated the entire music/film industry with a workable solution for interntet distribution and management
- In the "physical" real world, the most successful retail space ever. Apple sells more value per square foot of retail space of any brick and mortar establishment in the world.
- And can take the lion's share of credit for many of today's movie industry's CGI special effects and advancements that also made him Disney's largest share holder.

And as Dave noted, Apple has done this with a culture and marketing ability that provides a markup that any company would envy. All the way confronting a multitude of naysayers, while beginning life with no special advantages - as an adopted child.

Plus there are some solid rumors of another "breakthrough" consumer trend. The Apple TV and integrated home media/computer center. Something attempted by many, yet elusive to make simple and usable. We'll see if Apple can again deliver, without Steve's tutelage.

Whatever you think of the individual or his products, having someone setting the bar so high has benefited all of us.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Kona, on The Big Island

#7 LJG

LJG

Lavoixia macrocarpa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I couldn't agree more.

People take many things for granted that Steve (and I say Steve because it was mostly one man's vision) launched, refined, defined, or created as user friendly and functionally simple yet elegant.

Three top of the line revolutionary consumer products that everyone continues to chase for market share
- MP3 player with video
- The first usable tablet that will continue to change how the world computes - mostly and hopefully in education - and third world countries

- Changed and integrated the entire music/film industry with a workable solution for interntet distribution and management
- In the "physical" real world, the most successful retail space ever. Apple sells more value per square foot of retail space of any brick and mortar establishment in the world.
- And can take the lion's share of credit for many of today's movie industry's CGI special effects and advancements that also made him Disney's largest share holder.

And as Dave noted, Apple has done this with a culture and marketing ability that provides a markup that any company would envy. All the way confronting a multitude of naysayers, while beginning life with no special advantages - as an adopted child.

Plus there are some solid rumors of another "breakthrough" consumer trend. The Apple TV and integrated home media/computer center. Something attempted by many, yet elusive to make simple and usable. We'll see if Apple can again deliver, without Steve's tutelage.

I thnk Apple was too much one man and it will slowly decay over time. It did the first time he left. You would be hard pressed to find another massive corporation where one man really ran the whole entire show.
Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)
Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-- Alfred Austin

#8 sur4z

sur4z

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I couldn't agree more.

- MP3 player with video

I thnk Apple was too much one man and it will slowly decay over time. It did the first time he left. You would be hard pressed to find another massive corporation where one man really ran the whole entire show.

Len- You may ultimately be right but when Jobs left (was fired by John Scully, the man Jobs hired) the ethos of the company changed and it was all about the money which caused the company to almost fail. When Jobs came back he made the company about the product again and he surrounded himself only with "A" teamers...they are still at Apple and I'm sure they won't loose sight of Jobs' vision anytime soon.
--Avett Bros

#9 Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

I would have to agree. At any rate, it won't be getting any better with Steve gone - much like MicroSoft has been languishing without Gates at the helm.

When your whole team revolves around the star quarterback, it can't click as well when he isn't on the field. But it's at those times you see how strong the team is that has been assembled around him. And one saving grace is that he had plenty of time to assemble one and leave a well thought out play book.

But you're right, there is no way you can easily (or ever) replace the "league's" MVP.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Kona, on The Big Island

#10 rozpalm

rozpalm

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Berkshire Hathaway. Now that Warren is 81, he's begun succession planning. He came close with Sokol, but then it turned out his guy was front running him.
Ron
Wellington, Florida
Zone 11 in my mind
Zone 10a 9a in reality
13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

#11 sur4z

sur4z

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

So are you flying to Cupertino for the March 7 unveiling? The invitation says, "Something You Really have to See. And Touch" That is a biography I must read.

Kim- If I got the invite, I would hop into my G650 and go.
--Avett Bros

#12 bgl

bgl

Creating my new Palm Paradise

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts
  • Location:Leilani Estates, 25 miles S of Hilo, Island of Hawai'i

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

I'm sure that ANYONE with a G650 would have an automatic invite! :mrlooney: That wouldn't be too many though, since none have been delivered yet... First delivery is expected this year. And why not stick with something basic like a Boeing 737BBJ (Boeing Business Jet)? Maybe too pedestrian? :lol:

For those who may want to put in an order for a G650 - contact Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah, GA. It's their largest and fastest business jet with a top speed of Mach 0.925 - about 10% faster than your average commercial jet.
Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

http://lundkvistpalmgardencentral.com

#13 sur4z

sur4z

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'm sure that ANYONE with a G650 would have an automatic invite! :mrlooney: That wouldn't be too many though, since none have been delivered yet... First delivery is expected this year. And why not stick with something basic like a Boeing 737BBJ (Boeing Business Jet)? Maybe too pedestrian? :lol:

For those who may want to put in an order for a G650 - contact Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah, GA. It's their largest and fastest business jet with a top speed of Mach 0.925 - about 10% faster than your average commercial jet.

Rumor has it the golf legend Arnold Palmer's Citation X goes that fast or faster.
--Avett Bros

#14 bgl

bgl

Creating my new Palm Paradise

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts
  • Location:Leilani Estates, 25 miles S of Hilo, Island of Hawai'i

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

Those two are extremely close when it comes to performance. The Citation X is quoted with a top speed of Mach 0.92 and the G650 with Mach 0.925. Splitting hairs here. When it comes to cruising speed - all up to the individual operator how much extra fuel they want to burn to save a few measly minutes. Cruising at Mach 0.90 is always going to burn up more fuel, per mile, than cruising at, say, Mach 0.87.
Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

http://lundkvistpalmgardencentral.com

#15 MattyB

MattyB

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,978 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

When is Apple gonna come out with the iteleporter? That'll probably be faster.

Attached Thumbnails

• the-fly-jeff.jpg

Matt Bradford
"Manambe Lavaka"
Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)
10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)
9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

#16 LJG

LJG

Lavoixia macrocarpa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Len- You may ultimately be right but when Jobs left (was fired by John Scully, the man Jobs hired) the ethos of the company changed and it was all about the money which caused the company to almost fail. When Jobs came back he made the company about the product again and he surrounded himself only with "A" teamers...they are still at Apple and I'm sure they won't loose sight of Jobs' vision anytime soon.

I agree, it won't happen over night. Also Apple won't disappear, but it will never dominate like it did. Now that Jobs is gone, have you noticed the biggest stock market run Apple has had? It is insane. Almost $200/share in a few short months (Wow, so glad I got out at $404 - what an idiot I am). So in speaking of money, share holders are already attempting to tap into the 90 some billion dollar war chest. The vultures have started circling in my opinion.
Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)
Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-- Alfred Austin

#17 MattyB

MattyB

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,978 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Oh Len. Think happy thoughts.
Matt Bradford
"Manambe Lavaka"
Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)
10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)
9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users