• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

WHITE OUT IN HAWAII

Bill Austin

Nong had never seen snow before so I was telling her about the ice age here on the big island many years ago. She said bull ? no way ,so the next day early we loaded up the truck and off we went.We were off to what I refer to as the top of the would Mauna kea 14280 ft.some where around there .

post-4755-065732900 1330211108_thumb.jpg

starting to look down on the clouds instead of uplaugh.gif

This is the view along the road at about 10000 ft

post-4755-069365400 1330211434_thumb.jpg

And at 12700 ft we find What did I tell you about the ice ageblink.gif

post-4755-064151800 1330211631_thumb.jpg

So now where talking a little white out in hawaii

post-4755-019363900 1330211714_thumb.jpg

This is a view looking over at Mauna loa

post-4755-084938600 1330211897_thumb.jpg

Nong taking her first pic. of snow at 14280 ft.

post-4755-031750500 1330211997_thumb.jpg

The rest are some random shots

post-4755-055634500 1330212182_thumb.jpg post-4755-033313700 1330212309_thumb.jpg post-4755-033613900 1330212355_thumb.jpg

post-4755-055668500 1330212377_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this little adventure. That didn't turn out anything like what I wanted must still be suffering from lack of oxygenblink.gif

post-4755-078472900 1330211287_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Excellent photos, Bill, kind of reminds me of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Bill, although i know why there is snow there, and how there is snow there, there is a part of me that finds it incredulous...some of the best pics ever posted here...Thanks!!!!!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Thanks for the pictures and the memories-two of my kids saw their first snow up there. It is surreal, and cold....esp since its hard to dress appropriately when all you have is lightweight clothes!

Bill,

Great pictures! And yes, that is indeed a surreal experience - being able to drive from the tropics to the arctic in just a couple of hours! :) Thanks for posting!

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks for sharing. Very ahhh...cool!

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Oh, yeah.

The day after my plane landed on the Big Island, you could see the snow on top of Mauana Loa (I think). It looked so close you could almost touch it.

Hmm. That observatory looks like ElHoagie's haunt, perhaps he'll chime in?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I heard the Hoagmeister got stuck, snowed in up there for a few days and they started to eat each other. Sad story, especially since they had plenty of food.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Lovely Bill. I think that's that weather station that gets mentioned on that "Wild Weather" TV series from about 10 year ago. It somehow measures that the air is cleanest there or something, I can't remember now, but that looks like the building. As Bo mentioned, taking just a few hours to go from tropic jungle to snow capped mountain must be a very neat experience.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bill, excellent photos as per usual! Nong was dressed out for the occasion. I'm sure she was in a state of awe!

My Rotary group goes to the top once a year with various other groups.

I'm enjoying all your postings. Keep up the great work. :)

KPL

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"