10 replies to this topic

#1 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

THE PSSC’S MARCH, 2012 MEETING AND AUCTION

The Palm Society of Southern California’s March, 2012 meeting will be held at the Los Angeles County Arboretum, in Arcadia, California on March 31, 2012.

We will be in the “Palm Room,” appropriately enough. The staff will be glad to give directions.

For those who have never seen it, the Arcadia Arboretum is one of the best of its kind around. Those who have been there before probably don’t need a reminder, but here’s one anyway. The Arboretum has a very nice palm and cycad collection, planted near the cottage used in the filming of “Fantasy Island” and a pond. There are other plant collections, famously including a large community of xerophytic plants from Australia and South Africa and greenhouses filled with orchids, aroids and other tropical-tropicals. Plus, plenty of free parking, trams, handicap access, and resident strolling peacocks and peahens. There is also a book and plant shop. What’s not to love?

The Arboretum is located at 301 North Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia, California. The Westfield Santa Anita, formerly Santa Anita Fashion Park mall is right across the street. Just to the east of the mall is the Santa Anita Race Track.

There will be a PSSC Board Meeting at 10:00 a.m. – if you’re a PSSC member, attend if you like. Participation is always encouraged.

At about 11:30 a.m. the board meeting will adjourn and you can take lunch in the numerous restaurants in the nearby area, which include a high proportion of Chinese eateries ranging from casual take-out to very haute establishments and everything in between. Arcadia is also a short distance from the pleasant assortment of eateries to be found in San Marino, west down Huntington Drive. There’s also a sandwich shop in the Arboretum.

We will reconvene at 1:00 p.m. for a short meeting with various announcements, followed by the auction and raffle. The meeting will adjourn at the end of the auction between 3 and 4:00 p.m.

Anyone is welcome to donate plants for the auction. Palms are preferred, but we do cycads and any other nifty plant you bring. Minimum donation on plant sales is 50% to the PSSC (with 50% to the donor), but you can donate more if you like. We will auction any plant you bring, but, please avoid very common plants and/or extremely large ones. The best sizes are in 1 - 5 gallon pots. We hope you also bring lots of money to bid on plants!

Directions: From the I-210, east or west: Exit at Baldwin Avenue, and go south till you get to the Arboretum on the west side of the road.

From I-10 heading east: Exit Baldwin and go North. Huntington is the last major street before Arboretum Way. Turn left onto Arboretum Way.

From I-10, heading west: Exit Temple City Blvd. Turn Right onto Loftus. Get into the left lane to turn Left onto Baldwin Ave. Stay on Baldwin. Huntington is the last major street before Arboretum Way. Turn left onto Arboretum Way. Internet junkies can visit the Arboretum’s web site at: http://www.arboretum.org/index.php/

Or, just follow the good vibrations of plant-loving karma. We at the PSSC all look forward to seeing you at the meeting!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Who's coming?

Or not?

Why not? or why . . .

#3 Mandrew968

Mandrew968

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

As a PSSC member, I would love to be there. Alas, I live very far away, so I cannot attend.

#4 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Well, you're in our hearts!

And if you do make it to a meeting, come and visit Shangri La Habra . . . .

#5 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

Come one, come all!

#6 Blue

Blue

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Not going to make it. It's far, I don't usually attend when they're in LA or north. Besides was up there in January for the annual meeting, which was just down the road a ways at the Huntington. But I'll be at the next one held in OC or San Diego.

#7 Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle

Camp #3- Marojejy Mtns.

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,646 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

I cannot make this one....
Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.
and The Rainforest Collection.
Southwest Ranches,Fl.

#8 paulgila

paulgila

pohonkelapa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 13,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

if jeffs not going,i'm not going!
the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

#9 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

if jeffs not going,i'm not going!

Well, I'll paste on a goatee . ..

Wait, it's already there

Hope you come with the San Diegans, I mean, come on, a few peacocks, peahens, and other stuff can't hurt, right?

Right?

Of course right!

#10 DALION

DALION

• IPS MEMBER
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

I had fun in January meeting the PalmTalkers and seeing the Huntington again but I will be attending the Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society meeting that weekend. I'll post pics of that adventure on my return. And, of the palms I bring back. I'll catch the one May.

On a related note. If anyone here knows Robert Burtscher of Fullerton, that might be a yard to go visit. I don't know him but have driven by his property and he has some very mature palms, cycads and succulents.

Leo

#11 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

I had fun in January meeting the PalmTalkers and seeing the Huntington again but I will be attending the Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society meeting that weekend. I'll post pics of that adventure on my return. And, of the palms I bring back. I'll catch the one May.

On a related note. If anyone here knows Robert Burtscher of Fullerton, that might be a yard to go visit. I don't know him but have driven by his property and he has some very mature palms, cycads and succulents.

Leo

Could you shoot me his address in a PM?

We might be already considering him . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users