IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tree Ferns

joe_OC

So I am on a tree fern kick at the moment. I need to find Cyathea robusta and other cultivars. I have already found C brownii, Brentwood, medullaris, and atrox. If you know of a good source in CA, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Joe, I don't know much about tree ferns, but I know that Hunter's Nursery in Lemon Grove/Spring Valley has a shade house with a bunch of them. I seem to remember recognizing C. brentwood and C. medularis but I've never heard of the others. Give 'em a call contact info

They're the oldest business in Lemon Grove. Mr. & Mrs. Hunter still own and run it so they're just a small family business but sometimes they have some neat stuff. I was blown away to see a 24" boxed Delonix regia one day. :drool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Joe Tree ferns are great and you are off to a good start with those ones ( have them all except Atrox ) Robusta from Lord Howe Island may be hard to source over there maybe up in the SFO area might be the go .

Cyathea medullaris is the fastest thing in my garden went from a 8 inch seedling to a foot of c trunk and huge 6' fronds in 18 months ! :drool: they like lots of mulch , nutricote , and this is important water with liquid kelp solution every other week and foliar spray with kelp !

Lookforward to seeing a thread when you get them all in Joe .

happy growing

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Joe, I have most of the species you mentioned except Robusta and Atrox planted at the resort. Don't forget to plant Cibotiums (Hawaiin tree fern) and Blechnum Brasiliense ( Dwarf Brazilian tree fern). I have dozens planted at the resort and their awesome with the Brasiliense throwing flushes of red fronds right now. You can order these in San Diego through Walter Anderson nursery. They also have Atrox. There may be other sources as well. Good luck and take some pics.

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Joe I saw some at a nursery awhile back at Sea Breeze Nursery or Sea View nursery, just north of San Clemente. I didn't look to see what types they had.

And a few months ago I saw a mail order nursery (I think it was in Cali) they had a sale 6 different tree ferns for $165.00, maybe you saw it. Sorry can't remember the name of the mail order place.

My tree ferns really like fish fertilizer. I also have a mini sprinkler on top of my big one so every time I water it also gets the crown and trunk watered really well.

Edited by Palm crazy

Thanks, everyone... I think I found a source in San Francisco for C robusta.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I know them well. I did not think they had a lot of varieties.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Hey Steve,

Well, the hunt for C robusta continues. I will have picture up soon. They are all in pots right now. Waiting a little longer to get them on the ground.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 1 month later...

Finally got some time to post pics of my little fern collection:

L to R: C. cooperi, C. Brownii, C. Revolvens

20120325_105101.jpg

L to R: Blechnum brasiliense, C. glauca

20120325_105204.jpg

C. medullaris

20120325_105149.jpg

Close up of B brasiliense

20120325_105112.jpg

I have other types of ferns, but no pictures at the moment. Still looking for C robusta

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Great stuff Joe

Cyathea medullaris is extremely fast grower for me down here and is fastest in full sun . Plenty of humus rotted down mulch and liquid kelp every week will make a huge difference . You cant overwater Cyathea medullaris ,cooperi and brownii i sometimes let the hose trickle on my c medullaris for an hour !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate