RarePalmSeeds

Photo

The 14th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 2nd 3rd 4th - 9th 10th 11th 2012 -●●- S. Florida

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection®
presents...

The 14th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza!

March 2nd, 3rd & 4th 2012

March 9th, 10th & 11th 2012

╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣

30 Years in Business!

It is hard to believe it has been thirty (30) years since the nursery opened in 1982. Many palms, plants and experiences have been grown along with friends and family. The 30th Anniversary comes with a new change to the Searle Brother's Plant Extravaganza formula that has worked so well over these years. The Extravaganza now spans two weekends, starting with the first full weekend in March. The rain delay weekend from last fall showed that many customers enjoyed having two opportunities to attend, whether the weather might not agree, or they may not be able to make it during the first weekend.

The spring and fall Searle Brothers’ Plant Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and people have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Fall Extravaganza as I can. If you see something that you need to know that is missing and should be added, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

South Florida Location:
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.
6640 SW 172nd Avenue
Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331
Western Broward County
*see Map below...

Spring 2012 Schedule:
Friday, March 2nd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 3rd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 4th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...
Friday, March 9th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 10th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 11th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

DSC_0318.jpg DSC_0335.jpg

Barbecue Lunch:
Our Famous Weekend Free BBQ Lunch
First Weekend: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) – (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM)

- The Free BBQ lunch has been a feature of the Extravaganza since the first one. Attendees have known to come hungry and get their fill of burgers, hot dogs and drinks. During the first Sunday of the last Extravaganza, customers dined while listening to Crafton Clift and his many years of horticultural expertise.

Posted Image

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com
Nursery Email: Searlebrothersnursery@yahoo.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com Private Message: PM Jeff Searle
Ryan (Palmarum) Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net

Directions:
This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well.

Posted Image

╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:
For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only become available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see, including members of specific groups or genera. Sale booklets will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the sale list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Holders located at both entrances to the main shade house will have the booklets on display. As soon as I have a basic list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

DSC_0173.jpg DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg DSC_0295.jpg

Featured Plant Groups:
The plant selection at the Extravaganza is constantly growing and changing. The largest and most diverse group is by far the Palms, of which there will be over 250 species available. The Spring is not usually the peak time for crotons as the summer months are the ideal time for production. The croton cultivars for sale currently number more than 100.

Palms:
Aroids:
Bamboo:
Bromeliads:
Cycads:
Crotons:
Cordylines:
Ferns:
Heliconias and Gingers
Orchids:
Tropical Flowering Trees and Shrubs:
Landscape Ornamentals:
Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:
and more: There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

DSC_0148.jpg DSC_0168.jpg DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg DSC_0212.jpg

The Sale Flyer:
The nursery has mailed out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to me with your address.

Ganza_flyer2.jpg

Plant Carts:
We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. The carts do go quickly in the morning of each day, soon after the gates open and customers make their way to the sales area. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the register area.

DSC_0332.jpg DSC_0360.jpg DSC_0781.jpg

Accommodations:
There is a very nice Hampton Inn within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the Extravaganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Publication2.jpg

Link: Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines

╔══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦══╗
╠══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬══╣
╚══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩══╝

Previous Extravaganza:
The 13th Annual Fall Extravaganza was certainly not a lucky one. For the first time in years, there was tumultuous rainfall during the second day of the sale. Not only did it limit the activity on Saturday, but the storm flooded the sales area for Sunday. The raindate protocol was activated for the first time and the Extravaganza opened again for the second weekend in a row. Customers and collectors came in force and donned umbrellas and rain jackets.

Link: 13th Annual Fall Extravaganza

- A view within the shadehouse on Friday afternoon. One of the few times during the weekend when it was not raining. That is a 3 gal. Areca vestiaria var. 'Maroon Leaf' being carried towards me.

Posted Image

- Rain soaked and drenched to the bone, many customers kept on shopping through Saturday.

Posted Image

Information and Invitation:
If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the masses of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there! :)

After the sale ends on each day, there is usually a 'Post Tour' at Jeff's house to look over his collection.
A few attendees and volunteers are often invited over for a drink and some extended plant related activity.

DSC_0387.jpg DSC_0397.jpg
DSC_0396.jpg

╠═══════════════════════════════════════════════╣

Ryan

South Florida

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

This TVR is trapped in my garage by PALMS!

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,445 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

:crying: again i will miss this... :(
Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."
"Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."
-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

#3 Helena

Helena

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

I sure am looking forward to this sale since it will my first time there. :rolleyes:
Helena

#4 DALION

DALION

• IPS MEMBER
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

So last fall I was in Florida for the rained out sale but was gone before the make up day and now i am going to arrive in Central Florida after the sale so I'll miss out again. You need to open your doors for a special sale to those who travel from California to your "after the sale" sale. Wish I was going to South Florida.

#5 Fallbrook Jason

Fallbrook Jason

• IPS MEMBER
  • 910 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

I had the pleasure of attending the Fall sale. I wish I could make it out for this one but don't think I'll be able to. Looking forward to following the thread here though!

#6 Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle

Camp #3- Marojejy Mtns.

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,648 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

I sure am looking forward to this sale since it will my first time there. :rolleyes:
Helena

Hi Helena,

Be sure when you stop by that you find Ryan or myself and introduce yourself to us. We always look forward to putting a face with a new forum member.

Jeff
Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.
and The Rainforest Collection.
Southwest Ranches,Fl.

#7 Moose

Moose

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

So last fall I was in Florida for the rained out sale but was gone before the make up day and now i am going to arrive in Central Florida after the sale so I'll miss out again. You need to open your doors for a special sale to those who travel from California to your "after the sale" sale. Wish I was going to South Florida.

Leo - I cannot speak for Jeff, however Jeff has historically been very accomodating to IPS members, especially those who travel long distance. :winkie:
Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

#8 Helena

Helena

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Thanks Jeff,
I will.
Helena

#9 kahili

kahili

• IPS MEMBER
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:55 AM

Heres hoping the weather and the turnout is fantastic and that the sales are great. Jeff, I have admired your nursery from this site for years and I am always so impressed with the quality and the service. You and your family have built up a great business and its clear how much you love it! I hope all that are in the area stop by and support this event...I know I would be living there if I could!

#10 Beach palm

Beach palm

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

This is certainly an event worth attending. I went last fall and bought a really nice three gallon brahea for my garden in st. Augustine. This is always worth the trip.

Rick

#11 DALION

DALION

• IPS MEMBER
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Leo - I cannot speak for Jeff, however Jeff has historically been very accomodating to IPS members, especially those who travel long distance. :winkie:

Thanks, if I make it down south I will give him a call and see if I can buy a palm or two. As far as traveling a long distance, I hope flying 2800 miles and a 5+ hour drive from Tampa would be considered traveling a lond distance.

#12 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

The Extravaganza is coming together quickly, even with the delay of the Key West Sale from last weekend. I was out at the nursery yesterday, Friday, and many plants are already in position. The Palm selection inside the shadehouse is almost complete, followed soon by the crotons. Landscape palms are pulled and placed in their section and a few blocks of landscape plants are nearby along the main road.

I have the written copy of the palm list in my hands and currently in the stage of processing it. When I have it complete, I will be able to send it to anyone who wants a copy and will post it on Palmpedia for those who just want to browse the list. For anyone interested in crotons, I have the first draft of that list complete and posted on Palmpedia:

Link: Extravaganza Plant Lists

I can also send the same list via a PM or email, send me a PM and let me know how to send it to you. When the Palm List is completed I will post it under the same topic.

Ryan
South Florida

#13 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

The first draft of the Palm & Cycad list is ready. It represents about 85 to 90% of the palms that will be out for sale next weekend. As always, it may be changed or added to over the coming week. I have been sending out copies to those who already asked in advance and will continue to as the requests come in. I have posted a copy of the list on a topic over at Palmpedia, at the following link, same location as above:

I have one photo request so far, so continue to send photo requests in if you want to see anything in advance.

Ryan
South Florida

#14 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Plant List Update as of 2-27-12. A few more palms and crotons were added today. I addition to adding them to all the lists I prepare, I posted them on Palmpedia at the end of the topic:

A few more might end up added over the next few days.

Ryan
South Florida

#15 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

- A pair of early requests. Lytocaryum hoehnei - 7 gal. $50.00

Posted Image

Posted Image

- Pelagodoxa henryana - 3 gal. $100.00 - 10 gal. $400.00

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ryan
South Florida

#16 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

- The shadehouse is getting full. We are still filling in spaces and gaps where we find them.

Posted Image

- Along the main road, with the left side divided into blocks of landscape ornamentals.

Posted Image

- They are still being pulled and placed along both sides of the road. The right side is still being worked on.

Posted Image

Ryan
South Florida

#17 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

- Larry Searle has already started working on the Bromeliad section. He had been bringing them over from the shadehouse all day.

Posted Image

- There were a few clouds overhead blocking the sun, but you can still make out color on top of color.

Posted Image

Ryan
South Florida

#18 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

- Here comes the crotons. The tractor came through a few times full of the colorful plants.

Posted Image

- "This group goes here, that group goes there." Jeff places the crotons by name and color.

Posted Image

- Carlos drives the tractor down the sidewalk on his way to the second shadehouse. It took a few trips to move in all the crotons.

Posted Image

Ryan
South Florida

#19 Moose

Moose

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

I need more Crotons :drool: Be there Friday morning :mrlooney:
Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

#20 waykoolplantz

waykoolplantz

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

I'm sure there's something (s) I need too. See you tomorrow morning.
PalmBooGarden

Hollywood Fla

#21 tikitiki

tikitiki

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 953 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

Can't get there until Saturday. Leave something for me.
With a tin cup for a chalice
Fill it up with good red wine,
And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

#22 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,445 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Like MacArthur, I shall return. B)

just not for this current sale :(
Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

#23 MattyB

MattyB

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Jason from Florida called me looking for Ficus dammaropsis. I told him to give you a call Jeff. Got any Ficus d. this year?
Matt Bradford
"Manambe Lavaka"
Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)
10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)
9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

#24 Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle

Camp #3- Marojejy Mtns.

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,648 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Jason from Florida called me looking for Ficus dammaropsis. I told him to give you a call Jeff. Got any Ficus d. this year?

Yes I do, thanks Matt. I already hooked him up with a 4-5' tall 10gallon pot. We talked twice on the phone today and he's pretty excited about driving over from the St Pete / Sarasota area on saturday. But thanks, I appreciate it!
Jeff
Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.
and The Rainforest Collection.
Southwest Ranches,Fl.

#25 tikitiki

tikitiki

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

All 35 plants in the ground. I set a new personal record for my self at this sale. I need to stop taking my wife every time I picked up a plant she would make me put it back for the larger size if you had one.

#26 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,445 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

All 35 plants in the ground. I set a new personal record for my self at this sale. I need to stop taking my wife every time I picked up a plant she would make me put it back for the larger size if you had one.

:floor:

Does she have a sister?

#27 tikitiki

tikitiki

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

She actually does. Looks just like her with blonde hair and only a year apart and single.

:floor:

Does she have a sister?

Edited by tikitiki, 05 March 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#28 Palmarum

Palmarum

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

MattyB, on 01 March 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Yes I do, thanks Matt. I already hooked him up with a 4-5' tall 10gallon pot. We talked twice on the phone today and he's pretty excited about driving over from the St Pete / Sarasota area on saturday. But thanks, I appreciate it!
Jeff

Jason was already loading his cart within the shadehouse when we came upon the Ficus dammaropsis he wanted. He was happy to get it as it was one of the few larger ones left for sale. He had a nice list of palms to get and I think we found the majority to put into his stash.

The first weekend is now past and it was very busy on Friday and Saturday. The front that brought the cool weather came through on Sunday, making it very windy and dropping rain in the middle of the day. Customers still came through wearing rain gear and took advantage of the slower time to ask questions and grab a burger or two. The plant selection has been greatly reduced, but there are still some nice palms and other plants left for sale. The landscape ornamentals and other plant groups are being restocked where possible. The Palm selection in the shadehouse might get some reinforcements, but probably won't have any new species.

It will be interesting to see the outcome for the second weekend as it is the first time we are doing it 'on purpose'; and not being rained out like last fall. We should also have more volunteers and workers on hand, compared to the skeleton crew we had last time. :)

Photos from the first weekend are being worked on now, and will be added to what ever action I happen to capture during the second weekend. I will start a topic with those photos in the main sub-forum on or about next Monday.

Ryan
South Florida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users