IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sausage Fingers

MattyB

I thought for sure the crazy extreme gardeners like Braden, Ken Johnson, Gary Levine, Bo, would have the same things. In fact, I know Ken Johnson has sausage fingers, I've seen them myself! He doesn't even use a knife, he just sticks his finger out and chops things.

post-126-008182000 1329862625_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

:lol:

post-126-083611700 1329863027_thumb.jpg

post-126-006656500 1329863032_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

What are those calluses from?

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I don't know. Those aren't my hands.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

how about a pumice stone? and if that doesnt work use that diamond blade i gave you. :lol:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I go through about 6 pair a year bra. :lol: 2 Costco packs/yr. I even found these crazy thick gloves that my grandpa had that I could handle even the nastiest cactus with, and I use those for when I'm loading and unloading retaining wall bricks, but alas, I've worn a hole through one of those now.

Sorry - I lied - one more response. :) I'm only suggesting, like George, that a doctor's visit may be in order.

I go through at least 3 or 4 Costco packs of gloves a year. With the sharp rocks around here, a pair of those doesn't last more than a month. I use the digging bar, and move rocks, cinder, and soil at least equal if not more than you do. I use my three chainsaws to hand clear forest like a mad man. A lot of time my hands and gloves are wet, making matters worse.

And my hands look and feel great. So, I don't get it. But I use gloves 100% of the time - my hands would be sliced and diced if I didn't.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Matt,

when I do heavy duty kind of "work" (it's not really work if you're enjoying it! :mrlooney: ), which is most of the time (like this morning - cutting down 50 ft tall strawberry guavas, then cutting them in pieces with my chainsaw, and manually hauling away and disposing of the cadavers) then I have TWO sets of gloves on. First, fairly thick rubber gloves, and then a second pair of REAL heavyduty gloves on top of the rubber ones. Works perfectly and I never have any problems with my hands. I will go through a set of those heavyduty gloves in about two weeks. After two weeks they simply fall apart. Part of the reason why they don't last longer is probably also all the wetness and moisture, which cause them to break up much faster than they would in a drier environment. After I have used them a couple of times they are soaking wet, and they never get the chance to dry out.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Matt,

So sorry you are having such a problem with your hands. Please remember as you very well know, your fellow comrades here are not doctors. I agree with Jeff, Dr. George and Dean and I must say myself, I never knew we had so many medical voices here. Please see your doctor. I'm pretty sure you WILL do just that. Don't wait so long, before doing so.

KPL

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

I even found these crazy thick gloves that my grandpa had that I could handle even the nastiest cactus with,

Hey Matt,

Do you have a brand for those gloves? I use some heavy duty chemical resistant gloves, but big, heavy barrel cactus and Ferrocactus will puncture them.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

What about chemicals ? I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that (Unless if I missed it somewhere) - That could certainly lead to nerve damage resulting in feeling nothing, I would imagine.

But, yes, go see a doctor. It isn't just a paper cut. It sounds a lot more serious than you make it out to be.

I even found these crazy thick gloves that my grandpa had that I could handle even the nastiest cactus with,

Hey Matt,

Do you have a brand for those gloves? I use some heavy duty chemical resistant gloves, but big, heavy barrel cactus and Ferrocactus will puncture them.

Robert,

I looked but no brand tag. Here's a pic of them. As you can see they are really thick, more like a baseball glove really, and you cannot bend your fingers in them so they aren't made to be used while working a shovel because you can't really hang onto it. Maybe they're for foundry workers who have to hold hot metal rods, not sure, but I can hold the business end of an Echinocactus or Ferrocactus without puncturing through them. They are great for carrying large jagged rocks or heavy retaining wall blocks.

post-126-031185000 1329927482_thumb.jpg

post-126-071850600 1329927486_thumb.jpg

post-126-065706300 1329927490_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty, as you can guess, I use my hands a lot in my trade, HVAC. They get burned, chemically :( refrigerant), flames, calluses, cut etc. And I don't have undue pain. I have had more of a problem forcing myself to wear gloves when I do a large garden job like dig a box sized hole.. then I feel it about a half hour AFTER I should have been wearing gloves....

But , obviously defering to the doctor route, I have had the most "numbness" on occasion when It has been hot and dry. I think I sweat more than I can take in, and my hands are sweating even more and cannot rehydrate. I never remember to put a moisturizing lotion on until I have pain.. even then i rarely do. (but when I do, my hands are usuall bone dry again within 15-20 mins.) And to help any stuff in the pain area, I uually double up on the Aleeve and drink more water...

Hope you get thee to a Daktari... :) (Maybe you will see Erin Moran..)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matty, as you can guess, I use my hands a lot in my trade, HVAC. They get burned, chemically :( refrigerant), flames, calluses, cut etc. And I don't have undue pain. I have had more of a problem forcing myself to wear gloves when I do a large garden job like dig a box sized hole.. then I feel it about a half hour AFTER I should have been wearing gloves....

But , obviously defering to the doctor route, I have had the most "numbness" on occasion when It has been hot and dry. I think I sweat more than I can take in, and my hands are sweating even more and cannot rehydrate. I never remember to put a moisturizing lotion on until I have pain.. even then i rarely do. (but when I do, my hands are usuall bone dry again within 15-20 mins.) And to help any stuff in the pain area, I uually double up on the Aleeve and drink more water...

Hope you get thee to a Daktari... :) (Maybe you will see Erin Moran..)

Bill you got a container ranch. You don't plant or dig holes much ... ^_^

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

My arms and hands have been abused for 60 yrs of digging,sledging,hammering,sawwing,swinging from vines,surfing,skiing,fighting,falling,and they are still going strong.

There have been periods of time when they hurt so much at night that I couldn't sleep because they felt like they were on fire and had knifes stuck into them.

Some times I had to hang them over the side of the bed to get some circulation in them so I could fall asleep, only to wake up feeling like a gator was chewing on them.

What seems to get them back to a painfree condition for me is stretching and flexing the fingers wrists and elbows like arm yoga, and also laying off the heavy type of damageing activities for a while.

These things are going to happen to those of us who work with our hands and there is no way to avoid it.

You can always notice those who don't...they look like T Rex with 10 little pinkies.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Everyone keeps mentioning pain. Let me quote what Matt said.

"I have no pain at all. That's the issue; I dont feel very much of anything in them. Trying to open things, grab a piece of paper, or do anything that requires finer dexterity is difficult."

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

no sense no feeling :rolleyes: be a bummer for picking your nose :mrlooney:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

:)

Everyone keeps mentioning pain. Let me quote what Matt said.

"I have no pain at all. That's the issue; I dont feel very much of anything in them. Trying to open things, grab a piece of paper, or do anything that requires finer dexterity is difficult."

Who cares about Matt, I'm just giving my testimonial as to what can happen from my experience.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

well... I have to say First there is pain, then when that doesn't stop someone.. why bother? just go numb....

Oh yes, do you experience your worst outbreaks when you are near Chamadorea's?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

When I'm working on a hard labor project, like carrying rocks up the hill, digging footings, breaking up rock, laying retaining wall blocks, or carrying buckets of gravel, I approach it the same way that I do my strength training in the gym and how was trained when I played sports in High School. I give 110% and leave it all out on the field.....uh yard. What I mean is that I often will work the muscle until "failure". I won't stop when I get tired or if I'm out of breath. I will continue on until all of the fuel for the muscle is completely used up to where even if I was carrying no weight, I would not be able to lift my arm because that muscle needs a rest period so it can refuel and be used again, similar to doing sets in weight lifting. If I'm working on a project and have a day off, like the weekend, I'll start work at 7 or 8am, work non-stop until I'm shakey and weak, go up and have a 20 minute lunch break and get my energy back, and then continue to work until dark before I take another break and have dinner. I've been doing this sort of extrenuous activity for 20 years now so I'm pretty sure that callusing, tempering, desensitization, and wear and tear are all normal for that sort of activity level. Although I might not be right in the head, I don't have neurological probobelems.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

When I'm working on a hard labor project, like carrying rocks up the hill, digging footings, breaking up rock, laying retaining wall blocks, or carrying buckets of gravel, I approach it the same way that I do my strength training in the gym and how was trained when I played sports in High School. I give 110% and leave it all out on the field.....uh yard. What I mean is that I often will work the muscle until "failure". I won't stop when I get tired or if I'm out of breath. I will continue on until all of the fuel for the muscle is completely used up to where even if I was carrying no weight, I would not be able to lift my arm because that muscle needs a rest period so it can refuel and be used again, similar to doing sets in weight lifting. If I'm working on a project and have a day off, like the weekend, I'll start work at 7 or 8am, work non-stop until I'm shakey and weak, go up and have a 20 minute lunch break and get my energy back, and then continue to work until dark before I take another break and have dinner. I've been doing this sort of extrenuous activity for 20 years now so I'm pretty sure that callusing, tempering, desensitization, and wear and tear are all normal for that sort of activity level. Although I might not be right in the head, I don't have neurological probobelems.

rub some dirt on it and get back out there!!! :blink:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Matt, I never knew actors worked so hard.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

carrying rocks up the hill . . . . digging footings . . . . breaking up rock . . . laying retaining wall blocks, . . . I give 110% . . . leave it all out on the field . . . I won't stop when I get tired or if I'm out of breath.

Matt

Did you really start this topic to see if other had the same problem with their hands or did you just want brag about how hard you work? :)

Matty,

Last year when I was undergoing chemotherapy, one of the side effects was peripheral neuropathy. In some people it is severe to the point where they can't pick up things and drop things. My oncologist suggested I take fat-soluble B6 and Glutosol. I did and my neuropathy went away after a time. I did not have it as bad as it sounds like you do. You can buy the fat soluble B6 at a health food store but I had to order the Glutosol.

Go to the doctor!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

carrying rocks up the hill . . . . digging footings . . . . breaking up rock . . . laying retaining wall blocks, . . . I give 110% . . . leave it all out on the field . . . I won't stop when I get tired or if I'm out of breath.

Matt

Did you really start this topic to see if other had the same problem with their hands or did you just want brag about how hard you work? :)

The second one.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yeah, me too.

Once upon a time.

There comes a time when the 110% of youth is replaced by the new 110% of later life. It's not wimpy to get your apparent complaint checked out. False alarms are better than real ones, and if it turns out that way, hooray!

If it's a real problem, hooray for catching it before it gets worse.

I celebrated my 30th birthday by an all-night dance, that left me with pain in the upper buttock, which I ignored. I ended up with a herniated disc and fun surgery.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yeah, me too.

Once upon a time.

There comes a time when the 110% of youth is replaced by the new 110% of later life. It's not wimpy to get your apparent complaint checked out. False alarms are better than real ones, and if it turns out that way, hooray!

I celebrated my 30th birthday by an all-night dance, that left me with pain in the upper buttock, which I ignored. I ended up with a herniated disc and fun surgery.

You danced your @$$ off?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Matt, Did you mention if your hands are small? :blink:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Would you like me to reread the entire thread for you and report back?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

One more thing:

Alarming sypmtoms are sometimes a false alarm.

I once rode my bike and didn't warm up properly. I ended up with left knee pain, oh dear !@#$%^&*()!!! that HURT, like someone took a dull pruning saw dipped in acid and tried to slowly saw my left leg off. Getting into or out of a car in the driver's seat was SHEER [EXPLETIVE OEDIPAL] AGONY.

Went to the docs, with visions of more fun surgery, but no, they said, you just tweaked some ligaments, take it easy and warm up next time. I did, and I did, and no fun surgery for me. Not even un-fun surgery. I was BORAT relieved . . . . My brain scrambles thinking about it.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yeah, me too.

Once upon a time.

You danced your @$$ off?

There were days when I wished I had, it hurt so much.

One more thing:

I once rode my bike and didn't warm up properly. I ended up with left knee pain, oh dear !@#$%^&*()!!! that HURT, like someone took a dull pruning saw dipped in acid and tried to slowly saw my left leg off. Getting into or out of a car in the driver's seat was SHEER [EXPLETIVE OEDIPAL] AGONY.

Went to the docs, with visions of more fun surgery, but no, they said, you just tweaked some ligaments, take it easy and warm up next time. I did, and I did, and no fun surgery for me. Not even un-fun surgery. I was BORAT relieved . . . . My brain scrambles thinking about it.

How do you warm up on a bike??? :blink:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

One more thing:

How do you warm up on a bike??? :blink:

Stretch your legs, especially the knees. I'm not sure what the positions are called, but one is a sort of "half lotus" that bends your knees sideways. Another is where you hold your foot behind your buttock and stretch the knee from the front. Another is the hamstring and achilles tendon stretch.

NONE of these are done on the bike. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Would you like me to reread the entire thread for you and report back?

?:huh:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

or how about resurrect it after no one cares anymore? :indifferent:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I have 8 cuts on my right hand alone right now. Seriously, my hands are war hardened. Isn't the most simple explaination usually the correct one? I didn't mean to make it sound like a serious medical condition, but thank you everyone and Dr. George for your recommendations. I was just wondering who else has these "construction hands"? Jastin, weren't you in the Power Team in the 80's?

Sorry Paul, I just saw this so I had to reply.

I was on the Power Team, those were the days. Keene is actually my middle name (it really is). I have the same thing with my hands, maybe not to the extent of not feeling them at all but I do drop stuff all the time and its frustrating. I sometimes feel like its because I don't always concentrate on picking things up because as soon as my hand reaches down i'm thinking about something else. I'll pick it back up and squeeze it really hard and yell at it. I have no pain though. I've always worked construction and used all the heavy tools. I am also the type of person to never stop working, sometimes I forget to eat, which is why i'm so skinny now.

If something was really messed up you would know it. Other than that, Its just cause we work so hard.

Here I am on one of my morning workouts

post-5836-085910200 1331928281_thumb.png

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!