IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sausage Fingers

MattyB

The last few years i've been experiencing severe desensitization of my hands from working in the yard, using the digging bar, etc. I have trouble handling small things, I can't feel them and end up dropping them. Does anyone else experience this?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Is there any associated pain? Do you have numbness and pain in your arms at night? Or is the lack of sensitivity the only symptom? You call it "sausage fingers" -- do your fingers feel swollen at the joints?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yes, very much so. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It is much worse if you use power tools like hedgers and weed eaters. Not a cure, but gel padded gloves help a lot. Get them at a "safety store" that sells protective equipment. Or you can go to a bicycle store and get their version of them, not as heavy duty though.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

The last few years i've been experiencing severe desensitization of my hands from working in the yard, using the digging bar, etc. I have trouble handling small things, I can't feel them and end up dropping them. Does anyone else experience this?

No, never experienced anything like that. Could it be age related? :mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

This can be the most annoying thing in the world, especially if it starts keeping you up at night. Like mentioned earlier, power tools make it 200X worse. When I used to fish offshore on a consistent basis, I was up every couple hours during the night stretching out my wrists / arms. I was very close to having the surgery, but I stopped fishing as much (for other reasons) and the problem quickly diminished. I did try the cortisone shots which did absolutely nothing for me. Normal work in the yard does not bother me but if I have to use something like a chainsaw, it will bother me for a few days. Hope it doesn't become too much of an issue for you.

Matty - please take this question as a serious reply - and not "snarkiness." Why would you ask or even want an answer from a bunch of palm nuts?

I will bet there are several dozen conditions that could exhibit similar symptoms - some relatively benign like carpal tunnel and arthritis, and some more serious that could benefit from early diagnosis.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Switch hands on your computer mouse and see if you get any relief. Often the culprit is repetitive fine motor movements. You can try sleeping with splints on your wrists to keep them straight and relaxed at night. So sexy!

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I, too, have spent my whole life with my hands working, so to speak - in the dirt and no, I haven't had anything like this. Sorry I'm not more help here.

Diabetes?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for all of the replies and concern for my health. I have no pain at all. Thats the issue; I dont feel very much of anything in them. Trying to open things, grab a piece of paper, or do anything that requires finer dexterity is difficult. My skin is thick and callused and my hand muscles just seem to have bruce lee toughness. I'm pretty sure it's normal cause and effect from heavy use. I call them sausage fingers because sometimes they don't seem like part of my body, just some piece of meat.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

1329703977' post=513364]

The last few years i've been experiencing severe desensitization of my hands from working in the yard, using the digging bar, I have trouble handling small things, I can't feel them and end up dropping them. Does anyone else experience this?

Oh man what a set up! laugh.gif Im not going there just because it sounds like its painful for you. On a serious note, tattoo artists often get this from there tattoo guns. Also my dad developed a nerve disorder called neuropathy, it started in his feet though with the feeling that they were on fire. Now its into his hands and he also can't feel his finger tips so it makes It hard for him to do small projects. Don't delay on seeing a doctor when it comes to you nerves. It's really hard for me to see my dad struggle to play guitar (something we have done together since I was 12). I hope it's just your hands being swollen from working in the yard but still you should see a doctor just for piece of mind.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Steve, Steve, Steve, get your mind out of the gutter. Neuropathy is usually related to smoking.

Well, Matt, it's been nice knowing you. At least you have time to get your affairs in order.

Kim Cyr

1329711025' post=513389]

Steve, Steve, Steve, get your mind out of the gutter. Neuropathy is usually related to smoking.

Well, Matt, it's been nice knowing you. At least you have time to get your affairs in order.

I call dibs on his pritchardia collection! laugh.gif Of course I'm joking, I really hope your hands get back to normal.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

..........."they don't seem like part of my body, just some piece of meat."

dont do any heavy banging, hammering etc until you see a doctor.

the signs you are describing sound like nerve damage to me - and you do not want it to get worse.

my best friend had the exact same symptoms and this can become a lifelong issue if you do not take action right away

Edited by trioderob

Well you asked. From the Mayo Clinic. Numbness in Hands or Fingers

Numbness in one or both hands describes a loss of sensation or feeling in your hand or fingers.

Possible causes of numbness in one or both of your hands include:

Alcoholism

Amyloidosis (when substances called amyloid proteins build up in your organs)

Brachial plexus injury (an injury to the network of nerves that conducts signals from the spine to the shoulder, arm and hand)

Carpal tunnel syndrome

Cervical spondylosis (age-related wear and tear affecting the disks in your neck)

Type 2 diabetes

Ganglion cysts (noncancerous fluid-filled lumps that most commonly develop along the tendons or joints of your wrists or hands)

Guillain-Barre syndrome (an uncommon disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves)

HIV/AIDS

Lyme disease (a tick-borne illness)

Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system (a group of rare disorders that develop in some people with cancer)

Peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage that often causes numbness and pain in your hands and feet)

Raynaud's disease (a condition that causes some areas of your body to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress)

Side effects of chemotherapy drugs

Sjogren's syndrome (an autoimmune disease that causes dry eyes and dry mouth)

Spinal cord injury

Stroke

Syphilis

Syringomyelia (the development of a fluid-filled cyst, or syrinx, within your spinal cord)

Ulnar nerve compression

Vasculitis (an inflammation of your blood vessels)

Vitamin B-12 deficiency

Schedule an office visit if your numbness:

* Begins or worsens gradually and persists

* Spreads to other parts of the body

* Affects both sides of the body

* Comes and goes

* Seems related to certain tasks or activities, particularly repetitive motions

* Affects only a part of a limb, such as a finger

Kona, on The Big Island

Matt:

I've had a problem or two with repetitive-motion stuff. In my case, it was the result of bad typing posture (and I type a lot, even when I'm not on PalmTalk).

Also, sometimes my hands get numb after a long bike ride (gloves help a lot), and after i used a jackhammer to break up concrete. (I hear that's a particularly bad piece of gear for that.)

Hmm. Do you have numbness in your arms, too? That sounds like some nasty numbness, if you drop things. I know a couple of people who have trouble with the spinal column in their necks, which causes similar symtoms to those you describe. The nerve roots to the hands run from the neck crazy, but true.

It might be a good idea to visit a doc and see what he or she has to say. They're usually pretty good at figuring stuff like that out. I would get it checked out, as soon as you can.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Some of the tests for nerve damage are really cool. Sort of like a mini electrocution. They put electrodes on your finger tips and another set on your arm, then shock your fingertips and measure the amount of time it takes for the impulse to flow from one electrode to the other. If you have impinged nerves, such as in carpal tunnel syndrome, it takes longer for the "signal" to flow up your arm. This would probably be fun to try at one of your parties.

I won't describe the other one. Better it be a surprise at the doctor's office.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Switch hands on your computer mouse and see if you get any relief. Often the culprit is repetitive fine motor movements. You can try sleeping with splints on your wrists to keep them straight and relaxed at night. So sexy!

If it's carple tunnel, which I have, splints you can get for your wrist work well. They are about $20.00 each at a pharmacy so shop google. Dropping things like forks is common with CT. also things like the computer mouse agrivate CT. CP is a by product of being construction worker!

Know matter what you have the splints shouldn't agrivate the situation.

Randy

test

Some of the tests for nerve damage are really cool. Sort of like a mini electrocution. They put electrodes on your finger tips and another set on your arm, then shock your fingertips and measure the amount of time it takes for the impulse to flow from one electrode to the other. If you have impinged nerves, such as in carpal tunnel syndrome, it takes longer for the "signal" to flow up your arm. This would probably be fun to try at one of your parties.

I experienced alot of discomfort during the test! I am right handed and what's weird is my left wrist has the worst case of CP!

randy

test

What jerry described used to be called a nerve conductivity test, where they literally check on the status of your wiring.

No substitute for a massage, but not agony, either, at least not for me.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That explains it dean, I used to do a lot of chemotherapy drugs when I was younger.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i experience this sometimes to a lesser degree & it occurs after walking for a long time with my hands down at my sides which causes the blood to pool there.

i dont seem to have the other symptoms you report so maybe its not related,but next time it happens to you just put yer hands up over yer head for a while.

then bark like a dog.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. While carpal tunnel is by no means life threatening, it is not a condition you should shrug off either. My hand surgeon told me that if I'd let it go untreated longterm I'd suffer permanent nerve damage. I'm a musician and didn't want that. If you have health insurance by all means get thee to a doctor and start the process of figuring out what's wrong.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

i experience this sometimes to a lesser degree & it occurs after walking for a long time with my hands down at my sides which causes the blood to pool there.

i dont seem to have the other symptoms you report so maybe its not related,but next time it happens to you just put yer hands up over yer head for a while.

then bark like a dog.

Knew you would reply, was just too tempting to pass. ^_^post-1729-011995700 1329762451_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

OMG, I never knew we had so many doctors here.......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

OMG, I never knew we had so many doctors here.......

Jeff were not doctors were just friggen old guys that have been to them!:hmm:

Randy

test

I experienced alot of discomfort during the test! I am right handed and what's weird is my left wrist has the worst case of CP!

randy

Discomfort? It hurts like Hell! Did they give you the needle probe too?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

randy

Discomfort? It hurts like Hell! Did they give you the needle probe too?

:o Ahhhh, probing procedures :sick:

Thanks for all of the replies and concern for my health. I have no pain at all. Thats the issue; I dont feel very much of anything in them. Trying to open things, grab a piece of paper, or do anything that requires finer dexterity is difficult. My skin is thick and callused and my hand muscles just seem to have bruce lee toughness. I'm pretty sure it's normal cause and effect from heavy use. I call them sausage fingers because sometimes they don't seem like part of my body, just some piece of meat.

Matty - This is a doctor speaking - This is NOT normal - See your primary care physician and get a referral to a neurologist. - gmp

Finally some common sense from someone who knows! :) (I know, I'm part to blame!). Matt, I know you're going to listen to Dr. George. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but something that's been going on for a few years definitely needs to be looked at by a doctor. Good luck, and let us know please. :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'm not a doctor but I play one on Palm Talk. Matty, get thee to a Daktari.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

I have 8 cuts on my right hand alone right now. Seriously, my hands are war hardened. Isn't the most simple explaination usually the correct one? I didn't mean to make it sound like a serious medical condition, but thank you everyone and Dr. George for your recommendations. I was just wondering who else has these "construction hands"? Jastin, weren't you in the Power Team in the 80's?

post-126-078399000 1329852046_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

this thread has snark written all over it!!! i have so many inappropriate things to say right now... its killing me...and making my face numb...uh oh :bemused:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

this thread has snark written all over it!!! i have so many inappropriate things to say right now... its killing me...and making my face numb...uh oh :bemused:

I can't hold back ... after seeing Matty's sausage hands in the Dypsis prestoniana Freed from Jail thread, you know he don't pick his nose.

You could store golf balls in his nostrils if he did. :bemused:

Matty,

George is right. There is no such thing as "construction hands." Using and abusing your hands should not make your fingers go numb. And peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet results in more cuts and slower healing.

I'll shut up now.

Kona, on The Big Island

No such thing as "construction hands"? Seriously? I even submitted for a hand model gig one time because they needed beat up hands and they couldn't find anyone with real working hands. OMG!!!! They aren't numb, I just can't feel anything! :huh: What I mean is that the skin is so thick that I can't feel small things like the edge of a piece of paper and often times my muscles are so sore/stiff that I can't work intricate items. Sometimes my touch screen on my phone doesn't even recognize that I'm touching it and I have to lick my finger (shut up Steve!). The good thing is that I've accidentally cut my self with a knife a couple of times and the skin is so thick that I didn't bleed or get hurt.

post-126-041188200 1329862049_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I go through about 6 pair a year bra. :lol: 2 Costco packs/yr. I even found these crazy thick gloves that my grandpa had that I could handle even the nastiest cactus with, and I use those for when I'm loading and unloading retaining wall bricks, but alas, I've worn a hole through one of those now.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"