IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pool pictures early summer 06

GREENHAND

I assume there's a Butia in the front yard?  I had happy ones in Jacksonville, Florida.  They weren't bothered at all by the great freezes in the 1980s.  Not even one with the ice storm.

Dallas would seem a good area for some of the Nolina  species--attractive woody lilies from Mexico, the Southwest, and even the Southeast (Georgia and Florida).  I assume everyone has yuccas (Y. gloriosa from South Carolina grows happily in Yorkshire, England).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(GREENHAND @ Jul. 11 2006,12:30)

hi robbin how many washies do you have and what kind. in my opinion if you wrap them up they will live , i still wrap the robustas when it gets lower than  27deg.

Hi Greenhand,

My lowest tempeture was -6,6 C so i think it's between the 20 and 30 F ?

I have a Washingtonia robusta in the ground, i can't let them grow as yours, you have dry winters and we have wet winter, most of the time. But the look more hardy then the say, because i see more washingtonia in the ground that will survive ...

Greetz robbin

Southwest

(Exotic Life @ Jul. 13 2006,09:16)

My lowest tempeture was -6,6 C so i think it's between the 20 and 30 F ?

-6.6C is about 20F.

Nice yard Mike. I've considered installing a pool for years, but my neighbors on each side of me have pools that I can use anytime I want. It would be nice to have my own. I'll probably end up putting in a small one in the next few years.

Kathryn