Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lytocaryum weddellianum

8 posts in this topic

Young 'uns, about 24" (.66 m) tall, in the ground for a couple of years under the C. deodar of Lust and Desire (40' canopy) four days of 28-29 FF no damage.

Big fat Greek Wedding Deal!

Smaller one, out in the open, two galloner, 12" tall, three days of 24.8, plus one day of 28 (FF for both) all night long . . .

No damage!   :o

Yowza!

dave

No damage to my small one footer in the ground one year under large Deodar Cedar. 26.5F minimum low.

I have two in 14" clay pots about 2' tall, no trunk. They saw 27°F for two nights from under an overhang on the South side of my house in McKinleyville Ca. No damage at all so far.

Have one outdoors under large oaks. Tolerated a low of 21 degrees with only minimal tip burning on leaflets, nearby queens were 90-100% defoliated. Much hardier than given credit for and IMO as hardy as P. robellini.

-Krishna

This is my observation after the arctic air mass that moved over most of the U.S. during the first 2 weeks of December 2013. The palm is located in the SF Bay Area Zone 9B.

My Lytocaryum Weddellianum is about 4 feet tall from ground to tallest frond, not trunking, and only been in the ground 5 months when this freeze hit. I checked a few different reports on the lowest temperature for my area and they ranged from mid to low 20's. With that said I'll say the coldest night got down to 25F +/- a degree. Every night was below freezing for a full week. About half of those nights had frost. I didn't cover it with any protection, but it had partial cover from a maple that still had some leaves.

I waited a month to see any damage, but I'm happy to say the palm looks mostly green and healthy. Overall I'm happy with this palm.

Two palms succumbed to a low of 20F with 24 consecutive hours below freezing in 2017.  Both were covered, but were not well established.  Damage was obvious and immediate.

L. Weddellianum suck.  I lost more mature plants this year at 23F inside a cold frame while hoehnei right beside it wasn't even phased.  B. Alfredi beside it had a little spear burn. One Allagoptera Caudescens beside the L. Wedd died, the other one lived.  

Here's my tiny in-ground L. weddellianum which did OK this past winter without any significant frost damage. It's positioned between my never-say-die-but-barely-growing Ceroxylon amazonicum and my in-ground Rhapis humilis. All these palms live outside adjacent to my sunroom, under a wide roof overhang that gets filtered morning and afternoon sun.

Lytocaryum.png