• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.

South Florida Palm Society - Monday, Feb 6 meeting

4 posts in this topic

This Monday, February 6 at 7:30 pm, the SFPS will have a general meeting at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd.

Dr Larry Noblick, Palm Biologist at Montgomery Botanical Center will give a presentation entitled "Easy Ways to Identify Sabal Species"

"They all look alike. Right? Come and learn some practical ways to identify the 15 currently recognized Sabal species. In an effort to verify the identification of the Sabal species at Montgomery Botanical Center, I finally had to get serious about the genus. I gleaned information from Scott Zona’s revision of Sabal, a Power Point Presentation on Sabal done by Tomas Font (Spain) at the 2010 IPS Biennial in Rio (which I have greatly modified) and from a 2008 article on Sabal written in The Palm Journal by Donald Hodel. It is all about the stem, leaves, inflorescence, flowers and fruit and delivered in “plain” English. Come and learn how to finally tell them apart as I have."

An auction of palms will be held after the presentation. There will also be free palm seeds for distribution, varieties to be determined by freshness and availability that day.

This Monday, February 6 at 7:30 pm, the SFPS will have a general meeting at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd.

Dr Larry Noblick, Palm Biologist at Montgomery Botanical Center will give a presentation entitled "Easy Ways to Identify Sabal Species"

"They all look alike. Right? Come and learn some practical ways to identify the 15 currently recognized Sabal species. In an effort to verify the identification of the Sabal species at Montgomery Botanical Center, I finally had to get serious about the genus. I gleaned information from Scott Zona's revision of Sabal, a Power Point Presentation on Sabal done by Tomas Font (Spain) at the 2010 IPS Biennial in Rio (which I have greatly modified) and from a 2008 article on Sabal written in The Palm Journal by Donald Hodel. It is all about the stem, leaves, inflorescence, flowers and fruit and delivered in "plain" English. Come and learn how to finally tell them apart as I have."

An auction of palms will be held after the presentation. There will also be free palm seeds for distribution, varieties to be determined by freshness and availability that day.

If I am able to make this meeting, I will be donating a nice three gallon Sabal palmetto 'Lisa' #2 for the auction. This palm came from a group I got from FM PalmtierMeg a couple of years ago. :)

Nice! :)

So, how did the meeting go? How was Larry's presentation?