IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

lets talk about Patrick Schafer's X breeds....

trioderob

He sent me this list recently. You can email him with your requests (he may have other hybrids not listed here.) If you want, he can bring them and you can see the palms here at my place at our NCPS meeting in October.
Phoeniv hybrids 1,5
Butia 5 ,15
Chamaerops 5
blue 5
Mules 1,2,5
parajubaea
micro1,5,15
Sunkha 1 5.15
Torallyii 1 , 5
Jubaea 1,3,5,15
JXB ,BXJ 5,15
T
nanus
manipur
wags
other
Dicks mutant
Chan
radicalus
Microspadix
R.Hystrix
Trithinax
Bifla
schizo
camp
copernica alba
JXS
BXPJC
B.ParagXPJC
Brahea
ED
Arm
Nita/super silver
Jubaeopsis

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Patric definitely has the most minimalistic palm catalogue you can find, but let me tell you, these are some cool palms. I purchased once again a bunch of hybrids from Patric at last July's NCPS meeting. They're awesome. I am surprised his list looks so different now. I should probably not go to the NCPS meeting, otherwise I might buy more, and I am definitely out of room!

I have Butia Oderata X P Cocoides, B Paraguayensis X P Cocoides and Butia Oderata X Syagrus coronata. The paraguayensis hybrid is turning out to be quite attractive.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

• 2 months later...

BUMP...... :36_14_15[1]:

waiting for my order to arrive.

Since winter is near, Im thinking of planting mine in spring or mid summer

until they are a bit more mature and well rooted before planting them in the ground.

Ive read some amazing growth rates on these so

Im planning on planting them on 5G pots

in the meantime.

I purchased the yatay and paraguayensis mules and the BJxS.

Because of limited yard space, Im hoping these wild be the

smallest/thinnest trunk cocoid hybrids.

Anyone with updated pics of your hybrids??

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

:yay: ECSTATIC :yay:

Finally they arrived.

The yatay mule was the largest 4 feet OA and on its third pinate leaf.

The paraguayensis mule and BJxS still juvenile leaf and 2 feet OA.

The roots protruding thru the bottom of the bands.

Im contemplating of either planting them directly in the ground

or should I baby them in 5G pots till summer?

I was thinking of Club Med the hybrids with rooting hormone and heat pads all thru winter.

Is it a good idea to of maximize their growth rate and root zone

before letting them loose in the hot summers here in SoCal.

Any thoughts?

post-7539-0-81777900-1416516941_thumb.jp

post-7539-0-40864000-1416516967_thumb.jp

Edited by SanDimas

Awesome! Like I said in PM, I think you are fine to plop them right in the ground where you are. But, maybe someone else can advise whether you could achieve better growth through the winter some other way. Do you have a greenhouse? That might be a good option to give them an early start in the spring.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

All 3 are in 5G pots.

Ive never planted any purchased palms

in less than a 5 gallon directly into the ground.

(papaya seeds excluded) I know these are

bullet proof/superman type of palms but....

I don't want2 take chances

with these beauties.

Cheers

The Hybrid 3some with room for growth....

The yatay mule on the left seems to be the faster growing

already with 4 pinate fronds.

The paraguayensis mule and BJxB still strap leafers.

post-7539-0-17504000-1416859744_thumb.jp

Don't worry Ritchey, since you live in Hot San Dimas that BJxB will grow like gang busters. you have the prefect climate for that palm :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

My bad...

I meant BJxS not BJxB.

I was looking for the thinner trunks and sparse crown.

Ive heard from some vendors that a Syagrus amara mule

might be available by next year.

The Amaras are supposedly the tallest

and a thinner trunked Syagrus.

Cant wait.

Well have to make room for that one.

As far as I know Patric is still crossing them. I bought several in may 2013. the BxPJ and JxQ availability comes and goes. I have 2 each of BJxJ, YxJ, YxQ. And even with only 2 each, the genetics seem to vary a bit.

Hopefully he has access to Dick's garden to secure pollen. When DNA of Dick's palms are preserved, its a tribute to his memory in my opinion.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

As far as I know Patric is still crossing them. I bought several in may 2013. the BxPJ and JxQ availability comes and goes. I have 2 each of BJxJ, YxJ, YxQ. And even with only 2 each, the genetics seem to vary a bit.

Hopefully he has access to Dick's garden to secure pollen. When DNA of Dick's palms are preserved, its a tribute to his memory in my opinion.

He does still have access, thankfully. He gave Keith and I a tour not so long ago.

Ben Rogers

I've grown a few different hybrids over the years. B Paraguayensis X P cocoides is one of my surprise favorites.

DSC_0944_zps8100774a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

I have the same cross, Glenn. Is that picture current, how long in ground if so, and estimated dimensions?

I really have no idea what the B. paraguayensis cross is going to do, so this would be useful info.

Ben Rogers

I have the same cross, Glenn. Is that picture current, how long in ground if so, and estimated dimensions?

I really have no idea what the B. paraguayensis cross is going to do, so this would be useful info.

I just took the picture 10 minutes ago. It has continued growing through the cool November weather. Bought it as a seedling a few years ago. The top of the plant measures just a bit over 3 feet. I have no idea how large it will eventually get. B paraguayensis is a slow growing dwarf and P cocoides gets very large. As a general rule hybrids tend to take more characteristics from the mother plant as opposed to the pollen donor so I'm thinking it will be smaller than P cocoides.

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/ButPar.shtml

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Glenn, I like the silver blue hue it gives off.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I just took the picture 10 minutes ago. It has continued growing through the cool November weather. Bought it as a seedling a few years ago. The top of the plant measures just a bit over 3 feet. I have no idea how large it will eventually get. B paraguayensis is a slow growing dwarf and P cocoides gets very large. As a general rule hybrids tend to take more characteristics from the mother plant as opposed to the pollen donor so I'm thinking it will be smaller than P cocoides.

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/ButPar.shtml

Interesting. Yours is definitely smaller than I expected, based on my growth rate from a strap leaf in May to a 2ft+ fully pinnate plant now. It will be interesting to see how this one develops vs. the odorata/capitata x PJC strap-leafer I recently got my hands on.

Ben Rogers

• 4 months later...

post-7539-0-17504000-1416859744_thumb.jpHello everyone.

Surprised to see my picture on google pic/collage.

The yatay mule I just planted in the ground.

The roots were growing out @the bottom already after 4 months in the 5G pot.

The BJxS grew a bit and paraguayensis mule grew minimally.

BTW I wonder if Patrick has the odorata x coronata cross available.

How about the Syagrus amara mule?

Cheers everyone.

Ritchy

• Upvote 1

Queen X Jubaea

Queen x Jubaeopsis

Butia yatay X Allagoptera arenaria

Queen x Lytocaryum wed.

please
if is possible,I would like to see photos of these
very thanks

GIUSEPPE

update on my shaffer xbreeds. My BxJxJ has not liked florida, both got bud rot, died. the yatay mules are growing very well, one is a limp form and one is very erect. I gave the limp form to a neighbor who put it in the ground. the remaining yatay x jubaea and one yatay mule are still in pots(15 gallons now). Im still figuring out where I want to put them. Here is a pic of the yatay x jubaea. It looks grey green with a hint of blue. As with all such palms, the color varies with sunlight and position of observation relative to the sun. this pic shows the most bluish tint from back scattered sunlight. the large grey YxJ in Dick Douglas garden is what I had in mind when purchasing this palm.

post-941-0-68889600-1428515279_thumb.jpg

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 8 months later...

I have his current list but only in PDF.  Let me know what you are looking for or PM me your e-mail address.

Ben Rogers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Patrick JxS grows good whether it's hot /cold or in between. Been very pleased with this hybrid.

2016-06-19 21.47.27.jpg

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

12 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Patrick JxS grows good whether it's hot /cold or in between. Been very pleased with this hybrid.

2016-06-19 21.47.27.jpg

That guy is ready for the ground, David.  They put on size more than 2x as fast in the ground, at least here.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

Your right Ben....I've noticed the same thing. However, I'm putting it in the front and will have to cut driveway pavers and prepare a special planting bed for this expensive beauty.....it may have to wait till next spring....kinda sucks.

• Upvote 1

My JxBxS that I got from Mark Heath. One of Merrill JXB was crossed with a Hopper queen. This thing has really been growing fast since being put into the ground.

2016-06-20 22.32.21.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is a Patrick BxJxS that didn't grow until I put it into the sand....now it's starting to take off too.

2016-06-20 22.33.08.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lastly...not a hybrid....but I got a Patrick Parajubaea sunkha to try here in North Florida....it hasn't hardly grown any ...I planted it with some red clay around the rootball...maybe that's what's holding it back....but it looks healthy enough and I suspect barring any nematode issues it will do fine once the roots hit the surrounding sand.... (when looking at pictures of sunkha native habitat. ..it looked more clay like than sand...also they seem to like the clay in California ..hence my using clay rather than the usual straight into beach sand)

2016-06-20 22.34.16.jpg

• Upvote 2

P. sunkha are pretty slow at that size.  I suspect it will do well...they certainly don't seem to mind my clay.

Ben Rogers