IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

lets talk about Patrick Schafer's X breeds....

trioderob

10 hours ago, rarepalmaddict said:

I don't have any more any response from Patrick Schaefer, is this something comon???

This is pretty strange he leaves his clients without notice.

So I hate to say this, but yes, kinda common. So don't think of Patric as a businessman think of him as a hobbyist /one of its kind. He is a busy man with a normal life. Patience is a virtue with him and don't take it personal if the transaction isn't like Amazon. If it's only been a day or so you'll be fine he's prolly just verifying he has the stock you ask for. Hope this helps and be fortunate you get some of his world known hybrids. Also supposedly Patric lurks PT so I wouldn't want to get on his bad side haha 

T J 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

T J 

9 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So I hate to say this, but yes, kinda common. So don't think of Patric as a businessman think of him as a hobbyist /one of its kind. He is a busy man with a normal life. Patience is a virtue with him and don't take it personal if the transaction isn't like Amazon. If it's only been a day or so you'll be fine he's prolly just verifying he has the stock you ask for. Hope this helps and be fortunate you get some of his world known hybrids. Also supposedly Patric lurks PT so I wouldn't want to get on his bad side haha 

T J 

Thanks for thé info, I'll ne waiting.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:06 PM, DoomsDave said:

Here’s my Jube X Butea about 10 feet overall 

BF7B1007-8484-420C-8BF4-FF9837C55847.thumb.jpeg.d4fdbe200c453762cca2973ba05d8e2d.jpegC5399432-625E-4558-9D3E-0609BC8547EB.thumb.jpeg.b38ab3237b06dc1c49f6325edc5eb998.jpeg

It's got abut 6 feet of trunk now. Just gorgeous. And setting seeds, too!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I can confirm that Patrick does indeed lurk here on Palmtalk.  I have visited his home/nursery.  HIs inventory of potted plants is so vast that I can't comprehend how he even keeps it all watered (by hand).   His efforts to provide improved cocosoid hybrids is a labor of love, it take him a 3 hour drive just to access various pollen sources.    so, let's cut him a little slack about email responses.    :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

6 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

I can confirm that Patrick does indeed lurk here on Palmtalk.  I have visited his home/nursery.  HIs inventory of potted plants is so vast that I can't comprehend how he even keeps it all watered (by hand).   His efforts to provide improved cocosoid hybrids is a labor of love, it take him a 3 hour drive just to access various pollen sources.    so, let's cut him a little slack about email responses.    :)

Good to know he's alive and well!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

25 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Must take pics !!! 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

Here’s some pictures from back in July 2022

Yeah, could stand a trim. Once it trunked it picked up speed.

09B3244D-0F8E-4394-80AB-D5A7640AD609.thumb.jpeg.3acfef42481db749e585d3f4ff9f5850.jpeg

083DD051-486C-43C5-ADF8-C97A645204A5.thumb.jpeg.b2f71eb8b49d93eaff36d843a597256e.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Yes considering the work involved and the very reasonable prices, a better understanding is needed here.  He is probably the best in the business at these hybrids.   I recall waiting 3-4 weeks for a response about 7 years ago, though they were shipped a few days after the response.. Some things are worth waiting for.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

@DoomsDavegadzooks!!!  That thing is a beast!  Do you know if yours is a Jubaea x Butia Yatay, or a Jubaea x Butia Odorata/Capitata?  It looks a lot like a monster blue version of a Butia v. "Strictor."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

It looks a lot like a monster blue version of a Butia v. "Strictor."

I would agree with this assessment 

T J 

T J 

9 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@DoomsDaveWow you weren't kidding that badboy is gorgeous. Now we just need the converse for scale. 

T J 

3 hours ago, Merlyn said:

@DoomsDavegadzooks!!!  That thing is a beast!  Do you know if yours is a Jubaea x Butia Yatay, or a Jubaea x Butia Odorata/Capitata?  It looks a lot like a monster blue version of a Butia v. "Strictor."

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I would agree with this assessment 

T J 

I’m pretty sure it isn’t the relatively common capitata Jube cross; those have much wider leaflets and are much slower growing.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2022 at 8:17 AM, DoomsDave said:

Amazing palm.

Do these hybrids produce viable seeds?

5 hours ago, amh said:

Amazing palm.

Do these hybrids produce viable seeds?

Yes, mine did. I've got two F2 babies coming along.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Yes, mine did. I've got two F2 babies coming along.

Very cool.:greenthumb:

Do they have any interesting characteristics or are they still too young to tell?

1 minute ago, amh said:

Very cool.:greenthumb:

Do they have any interesting characteristics or are they still too young to tell?

Still one-leafers but more seeds coming! Low germ rate, though. Like 2 out of 20 for this batch.

• Like 1

It wasn't that long ago I heard from Patric.  He can't go over to Dick Douglas's anymore, too bad....I sure hope that his garden is preserved.   Remember, his huge Jubea Chiliensis (sp?).  Must be as wide as my '67 bug is long by now.  Seems to me it ought to be listed somewhere as a cold hardy, palm Heritage garden, but I haven't seen a lot of palm gardens, other than Darold's.  Put Darold's down as well.   Listening to Tim Boness, Archangels band,  right now. turn it on...wonderful music, worked with Stevie Ray Vaughn, produced by Steve Wilson, turn it on. Cecile

• Like 1

Here’s my big monster with The Shoe for scale.

0429E053-72E5-4266-ADA4-025143D801CB.thumb.jpeg.fb0169f769f21d51ab044f008503be72.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s my big monster with The Shoe for scale.

Dave you are the man and your Jubaea cross is the sh!t.com 🤣

T J 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

T J 

I was just at Patricks place this month, and as mentioned he is not a business but a hobbyist truly pioneering the hybrid game, the amount of palms and plants he has in his care is astonishing. And doing it single handedly at his 25acre property. Several greenhouses/shade tents with literally hundreds of seedlings, potted plants and seeds germinating, not to mention his own garden and palms. I only have more respect and patience for him seeing it all first hand. Be patient and polite and folks will probably be successful, but id imagine he’s an easy one to lose if too pushy.  He surely has a lot of people contacting him constantly from all over the world and orders to fill. Just my two cents. 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 10/27/2022 at 7:04 PM, rarepalmaddict said:

Hello, After a couple of mail exchanges with Patrick Schaefer and After having sent him my order I don't have any more any response from Patrick Schaefer, is this something comon???

This is pretty strange he leaves his clients without notice.

I keep on mailing him but still no response!!!!

If there is a bunch of back and forth you'll just get ignored at some point.  Successful transactions go like this: request his current list, let him know which ones you want from that list.  He supplies you with the total and a paypal address.  Send money to that address and your palms will get shipped.  Pretty simple if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

id imagine he’s an easy one to lose if too pushy.  He surely has a lot of people contacting him constantly from all over the world and orders to fill. Just my two cents. 

That's probably hitting the nail on the head.  Customers get so used to sellers bending over backwards to get their money that it confuses them when they don't.  If you are too big of a hassle, there always somebody else in the wings that's easy to do business with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

If there is a bunch of back and forth you'll just get ignored at some point.  Successful transactions go like this: request his current list, let him know which ones you want from that list.  He supplies you with the total and a paypal address.  Send money to that address and your palms will get shipped.  Pretty simple if you ask me.

Yeah. To paraphrase Mr. T, he ain't got time for no jibba jabba. Just ask for the list and tell him what you want and send money and a shipping address. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

That's what I did! Tell him what species I wanted, then he gave me the prices and then I placed my order and then sinds then I'm waiting, just as simple as that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rarepalmaddict said:

That's what I did! Tell him what species I wanted, then he gave me the prices and then I placed my order and then sinds then I'm waiting, just as simple as that.

He will probably get back to you then, hang in there. His responses can be next day, next week, or next month.

I have a (butia x Jubaea) x jubaea from Patric.  Because of all the jubaea blood I was reluctant to plant it, wanting to see if its a survivor here in florida.  Its been knocked down and around, I hardly water it even in the dry season.  Its near 5' overall now in a 25 gallon pot.  It has notably less recurve/twist of leaves than my B x J.  This year it goes into the ground in a dry spot  It is stunted for being in the pot for 7 years from a 4" treepot with bifid leaves.   Its a tough palm, been knocked down more than a dozen times by wind but it takes it without flinching.  IMG_8876.thumb.JPG.d4c5a99974aa6423bbd5b654256b8ed2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

@sonoranfans I had the same problem with BxJ and JxB in pots, they just did not like it at all.  In the ground both versions have done great.  I may have to try the (B x J) x J if he makes any more.  The B x LytoWedd have done great in pots and in the ground. 

My B x PJS didn't like full sun in the ground, but is still holding onto a green partially pinnate spear.  I'm hoping it will like the November sun intensity better, so hopefully it'll make it through the winter without needing to protect it too much.

7 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I have a (butia x Jubaea) x jubaea from Patric.  Because of all the jubaea blood I was reluctant to plant it, wanting to see if its a survivor here in florida.  Its been knocked down and around, I hardly water it even in the dry season.  Its near 5' overall now in a 25 gallon pot.  It has notably less recurve/twist of leaves than my B x J.  This year it goes into the ground in a dry spot  It is stunted for being in the pot for 7 years from a 4" treepot with bifid leaves.   Its a tough palm, been knocked down more than a dozen times by wind but it takes it without flinching.  IMG_8876.thumb.JPG.d4c5a99974aa6423bbd5b654256b8ed2.JPG

So far, so good!

Here’s two F2 Big Monsters of the future with the Shoe for scale. 

58413BDE-DFF2-449B-8B93-F1FC421F309F.thumb.jpeg.ee9a917233d47024e84803a503b71fe7.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s two F2 Big Monsters of the future with the Shoe for scale. 

58413BDE-DFF2-449B-8B93-F1FC421F309F.thumb.jpeg.ee9a917233d47024e84803a503b71fe7.jpeg

Would you say that the fruit and seeds were more jubaea or more butia?

Edited by amh

9 hours ago, amh said:

Would you say that the fruit and seeds were more jubaea or more butia?

They looked very Jube-ey nice and round.

I'll watch the babies grow with anticipation. Hope mama plant gets more fertile seeds.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Merlyn said:

@sonoranfans I had the same problem with BxJ and JxB in pots, they just did not like it at all.  In the ground both versions have done great.  I may have to try the (B x J) x J if he makes any more.  The B x LytoWedd have done great in pots and in the ground. 

My B x PJS didn't like full sun in the ground, but is still holding onto a green partially pinnate spear.  I'm hoping it will like the November sun intensity better, so hopefully it'll make it through the winter without needing to protect it too much.

There is a long history here on palmtalk with hybridization of butia and jubaea.  Up towards northern florida the JxB did well in the ground, but not down here.  Down here the butria x Jubaea does much better.  I am not talking about small palms but big ones.  JxB did much better generally out west, and B x J also do well.  The butia mom crosses are more moisture tolerant. I went with the (BxJ)xJ because I wanted to push the Jubaea blood a little more and see if it would work since I had never heard about one in florida.  My palm likes the pot as I said no trouble, little care.  I planted a second (B x J) x J at a much smaller size and it croaked after mold damage to leaves.  My thinking was/is that I needed to get the leaves up off the ground a bit before putting it in the ground.  There is more condensation of dew close to the ground and the jubaea blood appears to hate that as butias do very well here.  I can see it on my BxJ, leaves closer to the ground develop small brown spots(mold?).  I have seen lots of people over the years try these hybrids here, few have reported what I consider success after 10 years or so in the ground.  I dont want a palm that survives, but a healthy one with good color and a nice crown of leaves with minimal mold spot.   Merrill Wilcox (RIP) was the florida Guru on these hybrids, his palms were stunning.  His posts are more than 10 years old and appear to be difficult to search here, but if you saw what he did you would know what I had in mind when I decided to -plant these hybrids.  He had blue J x B hybrids 25' tall and nearly that wide with huge crowns of leaves.  He was an early hybridizer of these palms for 30 years before the millenium.  What I have seen in florida over the years from others does not come close, not sure why that is.

• Like 5

Tom Blank

@sonoranfansmine definitely prefer being in the ground.  I think they didn't like the dripline fan-sprayer-on-a-stick in my nursery area, especially in the winter.  I bought 2 each BxJ and JxB from Patrick in March 2019.  They lived (er...suffered) in pots for too long:

BxJ planted in October 2021, almost exactly 1 year in the ground.  This was yellowed and unhappy but took no damage at ~26F with frost at the end of January.  It's been putting out much nicer blue-green leaves since.  The JxB in the pot is the same age:

163132163_P1100242ButiaxJubaea1yr.thumb.JPG.07a7c444f0bc75f608c5785f10ad5968.JPG

This JxB spear pulled in April but put out a couple of new fronds courtesy of hydrogen peroxide + Daconil treatments.  I planted it today.  It's not obvious from the photo, but I built the area up around it with ~3 wheelbarrows full of native dirt.  The ground slopes away in all directions.  The only disadvantage of this spot is a lack of sun in the winter.  It's partially blocked by the house and the Dendrocalamus Brandisii "Black" to the upper right.  Hopefully it'll do ok here:

208309768_P1100244JubaeaxButiaplanted.thumb.JPG.312dbb0d12621d679acc17f77d39f944.JPG

• Like 3