IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

lets talk about Patrick Schafer's X breeds....

trioderob

I've got a number of his Parajube, Jube and Butea crosses.

In particular, I've got a nice Jube X Butea that's looking good, hi-oh SILVER! (AWAY!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm growing examples of his Jub x Queen, Jubutygrus, Yatay x Queen and B. odorata X P. cocoides. I'm looking forward to his future endeavours.

The prettiest thus far, and fastest growing, has been the Yatay x Queen. It has strongly recurved leaves, green coloration and mild plumosity. Very sharp looking plant.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Jubeutia F2

Jubutyagrus

Butia X P.cocoides

Queen X Jubaea

Queen x Jubaeopsis

Butia yatay X Allagoptera arenaria

Queen x Lytocaryum wed.

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Growing his Butia x Parajubea. Put it in my front yard in a primo spot and am waiting for it to take off.

Not to rub it in, but it's very neat to go over to Dick Douglas' house and see what Patrick is working on. That reminds me I'm due for a visit...

Lets not forget he grows some pretty rare cold hardy palms, too. I picked up a few very nice, very healthy Trachy nanus from him a couple years back. I had a very hard time finding those.

Nice Sabals and a bunch of other great stuff...greenthumb.gif

I'm holding out for if he makes a xJubaeopsis..... or xCocosdrool.gif

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

"I'm holding out for if he makes a xJubaeopsis..... or xCocos"

a fast growing version of this would be really special :

6201067021_245b2e36c9_z.jpg

Edited by trioderob

I have three beauties from Patrick, a monster Jub x Queeen, a stunning example of jubutiagrus, and my new addition a queen x Jubaea. I'm always hoping to add more of his crosses.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Jubeutia F2

Jubutyagrus

Butia X P.cocoides

Queen X Jubaea

Queen x Jubaeopsis

Butia yatay X Allagoptera arenaria

Queen x Lytocaryum wed.

You're very lucky to get a Queen x Jubaeopsis, is it young?

Salut.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I have been lost on this one, I was not aware that a jubaeopsis could be crossed with anything due to its high chromosome count which doubles that of any other palm. Has any of the jubaeaopsis crosses reached a size that they can be confirmed crosses?

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I have a few of Patrick.S crosses. Here is his BXP.C . Ed Brown and his wife visited and here is the pic of them showing off the hybrid!

post-518-029633600 1327618851_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Gary, I don't think it's been done yet; I'd just like to see it happen! I did not know that about the number of chromosomes.

I (trouble, I know) assumed that all the Cocosoid palms could be crossed to a certain degree. Whoops!biggrin.gif

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

I have been lost on this one, I was not aware that a jubaeopsis could be crossed with anything due to its high chromosome count which doubles that of any other palm. Has any of the jubaeaopsis crosses reached a size that they can be confirmed crosses?

Gary

My little palms are too young to be sure they are real Queen x Jubaeopsis....but hope so!!!rolleyes.gif

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

here is his list

I have removed prices and other info so as to not piss off anyone and

to try to stay in line with what the mods expect from me as far as general forum posting rules:

BXJ

JXB

BJXJ

BJXB

BJ X Q

JXBJ

J X Q

BXQ

B. PARAGUYENSIS X QUEEN

YATAY X Q

YATAY X J

YATAY X LYTOCAREUM , Not available yet

B X PJ COCOIDES only available in 4X10”

B xPJ Tortor , Not presently available

B.Paraguyensis X COCOIDES , Not ready yet

Q X B

Q X BJ

Trachycarpus wag

Jubaea , ask

B. Paraguyensis

PHONIX X MISCELLANOUS

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

Mark is the date stamp on that picture correct? I thought Patric's first BxP were from around 2007.

I have a few of Patrick.S crosses. Here is his BXP.C . Ed Brown and his wife visited and here is the pic of them showing off the hybrid!

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I have a bunch of palms from Patric. Can't wait to see what these little guys turn out like. He has greatly expanded the number of palms in my yard that I don't have to even think about when the next big freeze comes.

(Butia capitata x Jubaea chilensis) x Syagrus (3)

Butia capitata x Jubaea chilensis (several). BxJxB, JxBxB or whatever it is supposed to be.

Butia capitata x Parajubaea cocoides

Butia capitata x Syagrus coronata

Butia capitata x Syagrus romanzoffiana (several, of various parentage)

Butia capitata x Syagrus romanzoffiana - Alberto. (Not sure if this is an Alberto hybrid or pollen from him).

Butia yatay X Syagrus romanzoffiana

Jubaea chilensis x Butia capitata

(Jubaea chilensis x Butia capitata) x S. romanzoffiana (could be #1 above, but that is what the label said)

Non-hybrid:

Hand polinated Butia yatay

Parajubaeas (sunkha, microcarpa, Torallyi-torallyi)

Non-cocoid:

Chamaerops humilis 'Dick Douglas' Mutant'

Phoenix "Parrot Island" single x roebelenii

Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii

Sabal (Dick Douglas' big, unidentified Sabal. Patric says Sabal etonia)

Trachycarpus Nanus

Robert

9A

Mark is the date stamp on that picture correct? I thought Patric's first BxP were from around 2007.

Sorry Iwan, the date stamp is incorrect. I had just replaced my battery in my camera and had'nt set the date yet. The pic was taken last year.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Could jubeaopsis be crossed with beccariophoenix? :winkie:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I have a good few of Patrick's hybrids over here in England

(Butia x Jubaea) x syagrus

Jubaea x Syagrus (my favourite, and very fast)

Butia x parajbuaea (not sure which of each)

Jubaea x Butia F1 (Labelled Butia 'Rainbow' but i do not know what this refers to)

Butia x jubaea

Of these only the first BJxQ is planted out and that is in it's first winter outside.

Richard

Patric and/or Dick Douglas have nicknames for some of the parents such as 'Poni' and 'Rainbow'. They are used to differentiate the mix. I think there are a couple of other names. If you look back through some of the Butia hybrid threads or discussions of Dick's garden, you will find reference to both 'Poni' and 'Rainbow' a few times and possibly why they are named what they are. Or, maybe Dick will chime in.

Jubaea x Butia F1 (Labelled Butia 'Rainbow' but i do not know what this refers to)

Robert

9A

Hi Robert and others,

"Rainbow" refers to a very vigorous Butia odorata (capitata) that has beautiful fruit that is half red and half green before the fruit matures. When the fruit is ripe it turns bright orange with a blush of red. The fruit is also very juicy and has a nice taste. B. poni is from seeds that came to me from Argentina many years ago. It was supposed to be a dwarf, but looks more like a B.odorata than anything. It's a prolific bloomer. As I recall when I received the seeds they were small and round. The palm has a very dense crown and it's difficult to reach the flowers and pollenate them.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like a beauty and I am glad to have its offspring here. Whether it will ever flower & fruit or not is a different matter.

It would be great to see updated photos of all of these wonderful hybrids, in particular Dick's BxP and GTLevine's JxS, but of course all are good :)

I'll try and snap a few shots of my tiddlers later.

Great thread.... can we add to the pictures of these hybrids??? Would love to see more shots of Patrick's offspring and how they look as they mature. Thanks in advance.

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Actually, this post just got me thinking....... It's been a while since anybody has sent me a PM, looking to buy my spectacular, etc, etc, etc hybrids. They then go on to tell me what great work it is that I'm doing , how I'm a model citizen and a role model for the community and how they hope to open up a nursery featuring my hybrids and the like....

I can only imagine their disappointment when I have to tell them "no hybrids here!"laugh.gif

Of course I do forward along the information.....wink-1.gif

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

]Yeah, I have a few photos. The majority of these pics are from Dick Douglas' house. All taken around October.

I've forgotten what these are, but they are I believe the "opposite" of each other as far as hybrids go- opposite mothers Vs fathers. Hopefully Dick will chime in.

Here's the first one:

post-195-022740900 1327774119_thumb.jpg post-195-026155400 1327774135_thumb.jpg post-195-005635900 1327774152_thumb.jpg

Here's the second one- out front. That last one was in the back by the pool. Sorry, there was Trithrinax campestris everywhere! I was too scared to get any closer!laugh.gif Just kidding. This was late in the afternoon and my footing was best right HERE.

post-195-043468600 1327774237_thumb.jpg post-195-071400700 1327774251_thumb.jpg

Here is, of course, Mr. Douglas' infamous ButiaxParajubea- which makes EVERYONE who sees this in person drool. This is not one of Patrick Schafers actual crosses, but it's still a pretty decent palm as far as looks gorolleyes.gif. Mr. Douglas for scale:

post-195-028752800 1327774390_thumb.jpg

Here is my young ButiaxParajubea from Patrick. I've had it 1.5 years and it has been in the ground maybe 8 months. it has been happy all winter!

1st pic is just planted. 2nd pic is just a couple minutes ago:

post-195-029400900 1327774572_thumb.jpg post-195-082941100 1327774583_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

Patrick,

Thanks for posting the photos. They are the very ones I wanted posted. When I first saw the first 3 photos, I thought it looked just like my Syagrus X Bujubaea, and then when I saw the house in the background, I realized it WAS my hybrid. It has been rather slow growing, but then it doesn't get full sun all day. It is more delicate looking than than the Bujubaea X Syagrus in the 2nd group of photos. The Bujubaea X Syagrus is fast growing, and has a heavy texture like a Butia. At its present rate of growth, it should be a good size by the end of next summer.

The Butia X Parajubaea is my favorite hybrid, and it is one of Patrick's hybrids, but the mother plant was not one of mine. It is from the first batch of B X P that Patrick did in 2000. It started blooming in spring of last year and has produced 6 blooms. Patrick used several different pollens on it including it's own pollen. All the seeds that formed aborted except for Jubaea. It is holding 5 very nice, round. plump fruit which are still green. The fruit is already Jubaea size and still growing.

Patrick, glad to see you got your B X P in the ground, and it looks like a nice sunny location. Mine has a spread of about 20 feet, so don't get crazy and plant other palms to close to it. Yours should take off this summer. Mine is the fastest growing palm in my garden.

Dennis Turran in Concord (near me) has a B X P that was planted about 2 years ago. It is growing like a rocket and is already over head high.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Here are mine from P.S.

Three years in the ground. All photo taken today.

JxB F2

DSC00003-5.jpg

BxJ F2

DSC00008-6.jpg

JxBxQ

DSC00006-2-1.jpg

Got this one from Tejas but is P.S. palm. Has long thin leaves.

BxJ F2

DSC00006-1-6.jpg

In Seattle area I found these from a palm collector that was selling them on another Palm board. For 50% off.

He said they all came from P.S. They still had the original tags.

All of these have been in the ground for 6 months.

JxB F2

DSC00011-3.jpg

JxB F2

DSC00013-5.jpg

This was a real good fine. Same person.

JxBxQ

DSC00020-2.jpg

Alberto, How about showing us your group of Butia X Parajubaea. Also Gary, how about a current photo of your Jubaea X Syagrus and your new Syagrus X Jubaea. Anyone else with an interesting hybrid to show?

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Palmcrazy- glad your snow melted!

Dick- you're welcome! I guess I was just waiting for the right opportunity. I'm looking forward to how this palm grows this summer! I hope your winter's not too miserable over there (not too bad, actually eh?)!

Oakley, California

• 1 year later...

here is his list

I have removed prices and other info so as to not piss off anyone and

to try to stay in line with what the mods expect from me as far as general forum posting rules:

BXJ

JXB

BJXJ

BJXB

BJ X Q

JXBJ

J X Q

BXQ

B. PARAGUYENSIS X QUEEN

YATAY X Q

YATAY X J

YATAY X LYTOCAREUM , Not available yet

B X PJ COCOIDES only available in 4X10”

B xPJ Tortor , Not presently available

B.Paraguyensis X COCOIDES , Not ready yet

Q X B

Q X BJ

Trachycarpus wag

Jubaea , ask

B. Paraguyensis

PHONIX X MISCELLANOUS

:bemused: wow...don't remember this thread........is he still doing these crosses? anything new?

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

As far as I know Patric is still crossing them. I bought several in may 2013. the BxPJ and JxQ availability comes and goes. I have 2 each of BJxJ, YxJ, YxQ. And even with only 2 each, the genetics seem to vary a bit.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I bought a PJxB, JxQ, and BJxQ a few months back and put them in the ground. So far, so good. Hoping for some rapid growth.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Love this guy's work. Have quite a few from him and will continue to purchase in the future. Keep up the work Patric!

• 8 months later...