I have been In the process of trying to get Board approval for a switch/upgrade - I already have host and server picked out. If it was up to me it would already be done.
Thanks - at this point I know where it is and how to eradicate it. However, I have been waiting for 4 days for the web host to take the necessary steps to the server before I can begin. And they are not being co-operative - despite repeated requests.
Are you locked in with them for a certain amount of time? I switched to KnownHost back in January and the customer support has been amazing.
The other problem is that I would prefer to do the migration after the removal of all infected files, and I need the cooperation of the present host to do so.