IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pseudobombax ellipticum var. alba

Moose

Here are some blooms from a
Pseudobombax ellipticum var. alba
that I guerilla planted across the street a few years ago. It drops its big leaves and flowers for about a month this time of year.

post-1729-061682600 1327029985_thumb.jpg

post-1729-064188000 1327049983_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Oh... love it.... I wish they are more widely available here....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The white ones always bloom about a month before the red ones. The red ones seem to be much larger trees with faster growth. These white ones are blooming now and it is at least a month early. The red ones have not shed their leaves yet so maybe they will bloom at a normal time in March.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I love my white flower one. In California mine flowers about mid March. I have been looking for a red/pink one for a while. If some one knows where I can get one or some seed please let me know. Thanks!

2.jpg

Nice red flush of mine last spring.

Jeff Rood

• 4 weeks later...

post-1729-080471100 1329640309_thumb.jpg

Here is an updated photo of the white.

post-1729-081437800 1329641178_thumb.jpg

The pink version first flower of the season.

At the Costa Rican Biennel, there were a few of us who visited Chester Skoltak and his bromeliad operation. He was propogating Psuedobombax ellipticum var. alba. Chester said the white was very sought after, the pink much less popular in Costa Rica. :huh:

I love my white flower one. In California mine flowers about mid March. I have been looking for a red/pink one for a while. If some one knows where I can get one or some seed please let me know. Thanks!

2.jpg

Nice red flush of mine last spring.

Jeff--

Try California Cactus Center on Rosemead Bl just south of the 210. Usually they have small ones in 4" pots.

I've never seen seed set in CA or FL. The pink one is easy from large cuttings in FL, but for some reason, not so easily in CA.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Nice tree. Here are some white in the cactus garden, looking for some pink ! Not bloomed yet, but are full of buds. If pollinated by hand, gives many fruits. The fresh seeds germinates easily, also by cuttings .

I'm surprised they're blooming so early. Usually mine (also alba) starts to bloom in late March or early April.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a monster - pink flowered variety. The bloom is nearly finished - wish I had gotten photos a few weeks earlier. That trunk is about 5 ft. in diameter!

post-1729-066646700 1334530955_thumb.jpgpost-1729-011831600 1334531160_thumb.jpg

Here's my regular color on a small grafted plant along with the buds. I love the buds!

David

Upon what is it grafted?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"