IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea elegans pollen

Nico94

I have a flowering Chamaedorea elegans thats most probably male. I would happily send pollen to you if you tell me how to verify its a male and how to collect the pollen. I am not willing to cut the inflorescences so only on site collection can be done.

The inflorescences have formed a month now and the flowers should be opening within the next few weekssmilie.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Hi,

thank you to answer me.I think you can to push the flower when she's open and keep the pollen in a paper .

The flowers are pretty tiny at 3mm size and would think that the pollen produced must be very little as well from each. I will try though when they open. Last time i think i could only see very little pollen.

What do you plan to use the pollen for?

Thats great Nico! :) I will do my best to collect some for you! Could you post a picture of the female inflorescence? Just to make sure mine is a male,as i think. I also have the same problem as you,lack of a plant of the other sex from this beautiful species...

Thank you very much for your help Giovanni! :)

Unfortunately the differences are very hard to notice in those photos. I searched some more again for ways to determine the sex of mine and found this site with close ups of the open male and female inflorescences! Based on this,mine is also a female unfortunately and so i am afraid i cant help you with pollen Nicounsure.gif In fact,i am in need of some as well!!!

I wish you find some pollen for yours!smilie.gif