IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My garden in Greece turn into exotic !

dimitris

Hi , Dimitris

Very nice garden and cool job done.

This year I also starting to change some area of my garden for a rock garden but may take years too. :rolleyes:

post-507-061768600 1327041752_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot Jakkrit , try to add some big rocks and cover the ground with some dark colored gravels

that way your plants will look great , also it would be a nice addition for your rock garden one cycas siamensis "silver" . Waiting updates from your garden .

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

Dimitris,

Welcome to PalmTalk and what an introduction. :) Your garden is beautiful! :)

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Hi Dimitri,

welcome to palmtalk. always nice to see other greeks here. I like your tropical garden! I think there is a lot potential in your area for tropical gardening. and btw: don't be so pessimistic about your climate zone. I think Katakolo is at least USDA Zone 10A. and most of the winters you are 10B. just have a look at this site. http://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/katakolo/ the recordings are just for the last two years. I think Katakolo's climate can be compared to that of Zakyntho, because of the same water temperature and the strong coastal effects of the sea you experience in your area.

So go on and make your garden just more tropical looking!

greetings

Janni

Thank you both for the welcome !

Janni , i don't be pessimistic about my climate zone but i prefer to be grounded about the potentials of my garden , i don't even want to imagine waking up a morning after a night with freezing temperatures and see everything destroyed , two years without significant low temperatures aren't enough for me to invest to more tropical and tender plants ! It's better thinking and acting like i am living in 9a despite 10a and some day having a very unpleasant surprise ! I know about this site : http://penteli.meteo...tions/katakolo/ but i don't really trust it , it's meteorological station it's in our port , almost on the sea ! The last winter i lost a Licuala spinosa and two Livistonas rotundifolia whithout having any significant lows . Thats why i have lot of Washingtonias , Butias , Brahea , Trachycarpus , Chamaerops , Sabal , Phoenix and the more tropical looking Syagrus . I don't say that i don't want the more tropical palms , i have many of them in my greenhouse waiting to be planted this , but first i need some others palms grown to give them some protection at least for the first years of their life . I have already a Bismarckia nobilis , a Archontophoenix probably cunninghamiana and a Beccariophoenix alfredii planted in my garden and facing their first winter and some subzero temperatures ! I hope they will be great and encourage me for some more !

By the way , are you from Zakynthos ? I have origins from Zakyntho , my grandparents from my fathers side were from Ionion islands one from Zakyntho and the other from Kefalonia , so there are some crazy genes in me .mrlooney.gif

regards

Edited by dimitris

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

I dont know why you lost the Licuala spinosa but Livistona rotundifolia seems more sensitive to our lack of enough winter heat than our low temperatures which it doesnt care too much about(i have had a L. rotundiflolia see -2C in Melissia and didnt even blink!blink.gif). The best position to try this one again if you wish,would be a winter sun area,under canopy, with half day summer sun. Mine died the second year but totally languished from the first year because of bad location(they were planted in a place with heavy winter shade and they saw one of our wettest winters there...Spears pulled but old leafs remained in good shape,eventually died after another year as the meristem was already dead).

About Licuala,L. ramsayi is a great possible choice for a place under canopy and is as impressive as it gets with Licualadrool.gifI havent tried it yet but sound very promising,although slow growing.

Beccariophoenix alfredii has survived -3C in Melissia for me so i would say its a safe choice as long as cold is concerned. Its easy to rot though and needs a well draining soil to survive the cool,rainy months.

Btw,i also have Zakynthos in my blood but i would rather just have a garden in Zakynthoslaugh.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Hi guys,

no I am not from Zakynthos. I just compared its climate to katakolo's climate, because it is the neighbouring island and katakolo is like an island surrounded by water. My origins lie in thessaloniki and naoussa. not a (exotic)palm friendly area... :lol:

Dimitri you are right about the weather stations. I also doubt them in many ways. Once I studied meteorology (for just a short time), but that was enough for me to know a few things about it. many of the data of the weather stations on metar.gr seem to be influenced by special micro climatical conditions. that is obvious when you compare the data with the data of other stations in that area. btw the weather station of Zakyntho is one of the worst! it always produces not feasible data!

enough of that, I think you can assess your climate the best and you should grow what makes you feel comfortable! I wish you the best for your gardening and keep us updated. :)

Thank you janni .

I ll keep you updated .

Sorry i ve made a mistake . The licuala was not the spinosa but the grandis , i have planted some spinosa seeds but they never germinate , maybe the seeds were not fresh . btw has anyone in 9b succes with spinosa ? At this time i have a L. peltata var sumawongii three years old , slow but steady grower.

Western Greece zone 9b

Licuala grandis cannot survive in our area unfortunately,i unknowingly tested two big ones bought in Athens as Licuala elegans(=Licuala peltata var. sumawongii)but their sudden death with high low temperatures and their small leaf size with trunk forming proved they were L. grandis insteadsad.gif

L. spinosa should be more than fine in 9b but it may be better to use your space for more of the L. peltata var. sumawongii as they are very impressive and much rarersmilie.gif

The question is which space ? i am almost full for large specimens and have a lot waiting to be planted . Also i still haven't enough canopy formed so go on with the understory palms , my garden is in full sun as its south facing , no trees and no high buildings are near around . The next step is to demolish my garage , already i have break some part of my front yard. i hope everything goes ok and my future jungle will be beatiful and healthy .

Edited by dimitris

Western Greece zone 9b

You can easily find or make space to fit understory species,even big ones. Its all about layering. If you design your garden in a way that fast,tall growing palms are planted close to slow growing ones and only spaced properly with palms of the same growth rate,you get the maximum out your limited space while at the same time creating a visually pleasing garden that will have well spaced plants in each layer.

About your lack of enough shade for understory plantings,i had and still have the same problem. What i do to overcome this till my canopy grows enough is provide shade via a shadecloth stretched over 4 posts which are driven in the ground. Once the canopy grows enough,this is removed and you have an already established and big understory plant underneath your canopy! Another solution would be to plant temporary,fast growing shade plants such as bananas,on the south side of the spot you want to shade and remove it latter or even leave it there if you like itsmilie.gif

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the info Dimitris! I too am just starting a garden in our family house in Katakolo. Your pictures are awesome so far. I am actually surprised there aren't more palms in Greece except for the Date Palms, some fan palms, and the occasional Queen palm. I think there are many parts of Greece that can support all the beautiful exotics (especially in Ilias) and it is amazing to see what you and Kostas have done to your gardens.

My house in Katakolo is pretty much just for the summer and I am trying to make it nice now that the weather is good. Actually, it is just a few blocks from your house right next to the mini market of Andonis. Now that the springtime has come I will try put some palms in too. In our yard we had a phoenix canariensis that me and my brother planted when we were kids about 12 years ago and of course it died with the disease. If that wasn't sad enough, my uncles thought it would be best if they removed the huge 40 year old eucalyptus tree because they thought the wind might blow it down! So it is definitely time to start planting again.

Did you get your palms from local nurseries, seeds, or the internet? How much do syagrus romanzoffianas cost in the nursery for about 2 meters? and the Archontophoenix? That nursery in Patra sounds pretty good.

Again, Great Work!

If your last name is Yanimaras then your house is right next to me , i am trying to think who else near Adonis mini market had a huge Eucalyptus and a Phoenix canariensis that unfortunately didn' t make it with red weevil infection and it comes nothing . So you must be next door neighboor ! I will happily help you with everything you going to need for your future palm garden . About your question for two meters syagrus if you mean total height , trunk and leaves its about 100 euro , for two meters clear trunk its 400 to 500 euro . I am buying palms mostly from internet , not many palm species in greek nurseries . By the way nice to meet you neighboor !!!

Western Greece zone 9b

Wow what a small world. I will definitely come in the next month to Katakolo, when I have easter break from class. I will find you by looking for the house with palms all over the place haha. I am still shocked that we are so close by and I'll send you a pm before I head over there.

As far as syagrus romanzoffianas that seems too expensive for me. When I was in Texas last year, we had a huge drought that lasted about 4 months and it only rained once or twice. It was so bad that farmers couldn't feed hay to their horses or cows and they couldn't survive. Palm trees were even sold at 70% off and I went a bit overboard and bought 10 queen palms of at least for 15 and 30 dollars each. I got spoiled and can't do the same over here. I am thinking about checking some local nurseries around Katakolo that Kostas told me about and whatever else will come from the internet.\

I want to upload some pics of the queen palms to show you, but I can't figure out how to do so :(

Anyway, hope to see you soon Dimitri

γεια

και εγω ειμαι αγαπω τα φοινικοειδη αλλα και πολλα αλλα

εχω μια πολυ μεγαλη συλλογη απο φοινικοειδη αλλα τα μεγαλωνο απο σπορο και ειναι στο σταδιο του μικρου φυτου και

και σπορου

ειναι ολα για 9b και πιο κρυα μερη

αν θες κρατα επαφη σε λιγα χρονια θα εχω πολλα..ακομα και σπανια που δυσκολα εχουν αλλα μεγαλα φυτωρια του εξωτερικου

απλα τα συλλεγο για μενα και καποια ειδη που δεν μπορουσα να βρω σαν φυτα η ηταν ακριβη η αποστολη τους

τα αγορασα απο σπορω ..και ετσι μετα σκεφτηκα να το κανω και αργοτερα επαγγελμα τωρα ειμαι ερασιτεχνης!

εχω πολλες γνωσεις σχετικα με τα φοικικοειδη.

γιωργος

σου προτεινω μερικα

parajubaea cocoides

dypsis onilahensis

syagrus sancona

ceroxylon parvifrons

acrocomia tottai

ayta aresoyn emena

alla einai kai pola alla

egv eimai se pio kryo meros 9a kai merikew forew apo thn ygrasia kai to kryo kapoia xalasan

esy eisai se poio zesto merow opote den ua exeiw to idio problhma

egv epilegv perissotero gia thn dikia moy perioxh

enaw poloi wraioi kai antoxhw einai gia edv se emena

oi butia diafora eidh

kai epishw ta ybridia

butiagrus nabadonii

megalyterhw antoxhw apo ton canariensis sto kryo

mea einai kai ta palamoeidh foinikes epishw syllego polla

Dear dekaoxtoyra ,

it would be better to write in english so everybody can understand you ! We can talk in greek by pm . I would like to tell me more about the palms you are growing !

regards , dimitris .

Western Greece zone 9b

• 2 years later...

Hello ,

It's been a long time since I have posted photos of my garden , almost three years ! Every time I am in my garden I feel that I am close to what I want but yet so far .

The years past new plants planted , the old ones grown up and some of them thankfully just few died .

Enough with the talking time to see some photos .

post-6446-0-11984200-1411332113_thumb.jp post-6446-0-54804100-1411332216_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-00916000-1411332252_thumb.jp post-6446-0-84969400-1411332287_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-49928700-1411332320_thumb.jp post-6446-0-66828700-1411332353_thumb.jp

Western Greece zone 9b

Stunning place Dimitris!!! :drool:

You have really given the front area the lush tropical look,awesome!!! :)

Some more photos of the front of yard ,

post-6446-0-58259000-1411336146_thumb.jp

Palms planted in front yard , Washingtonia robusta , syagrus romanzoffiana , butia capitata , trachycarpus fortunei , chamaedorea elegans , beccariophoenix alfredii , Phoenix roebelinii , arenga engleri , archontophoenix alexandrae and ptychosperma elegans .

post-6446-0-11328800-1411336199_thumb.jp

Tillandsias mounted on yucca elephantipes ,

post-6446-0-07560700-1411336237_thumb.jp

Hyophorbe versafeltii in pot , zamia furfuracea , cycas revoluta and revoluta x debaoensis

post-6446-0-29228500-1411336288_thumb.jp

view from above

post-6446-0-76577300-1411336416_thumb.jp post-6446-0-22254900-1411336573_thumb.jp

Western Greece zone 9b

Thank you Kosta !

I am glad you like the front yard , wait to see the back yard you gonna love it !

Western Greece zone 9b

The path leads to the the back yard is full of various hibiscus sinensis about twenty plants .

post-6446-0-72700400-1411337971_thumb.jp post-6446-0-16878300-1411338041_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-44019100-1411338296_thumb.jp

view from above ,

post-6446-0-13030100-1411338393_thumb.jp

Thats for today , more photos are coming tomorrow !

I hope you like it so far .

Western Greece zone 9b

I love hibiscus , I have over thirty plants and about thirteen colours .

Edited by dimitris

Western Greece zone 9b

Very nice design and things have grown big time since last time I saw them! It's looking sweet!

Can't wait to see the backyard!!!!

:greenthumb::greenthumb: Excellent ......you have created a great little Shangrila there ....great progress these past few years!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Great growth in three years. You've transformed your garden to paradise...great job!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thank you all for your kind words ! More photos coming .

post-6446-0-97599300-1411383460_thumb.jp post-6446-0-56456000-1411383782_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-66163700-1411385354_thumb.jp post-6446-0-47625600-1411386010_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-63295200-1411386105_thumb.jp post-6446-0-63014100-1411386300_thumb.jp

Western Greece zone 9b

Very nice garden with lots of variety and colour

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

And some more ,

post-6446-0-25152900-1411389059_thumb.jp post-6446-0-24240600-1411389196_thumb.jp

I really love bromeliads , they are so colorful and easy to maintain plants , at least the ones I grow !

post-6446-0-47199800-1411389590_thumb.jp post-6446-0-89662000-1411389279_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-16386300-1411392023_thumb.jp post-6446-0-42749100-1411392249_thumb.jp

Palms planted here lytocaryum wedellianum , syagrus sancona , beccariophoenix alfredii , allagoptera caudescens , chambeyronia macrocarpa , chamaedorea elegans , chamaedorea seifrizii , chamaedorea microspadix , rhapis humilis and howea fosteriana triple , tree ferns cybotium glaucum , cyathea cooperii brenthood and cyathea brownii

Western Greece zone 9b

Extremely interesting garden and I can understand perfectly that due to the crowded look you have created (because of lack of space or deliberately?) it is very difficult to take individual pictures of each plant. But at least try also please to focus on each individual plant as much as possible, so that the rest of us who are interested not only in the general look of your garden (which is anyway marvelous) but also in the growth-progress of the palms will be able to draw also some conclusions about this last issue. For example I am not able to see in my pc the Lytocaryum or the Syagrus sancona or the Allagoptera ...

My largest flamethrower showing new red leaf ,

post-6446-0-19974800-1411392863_thumb.jp post-6446-0-99369000-1411392941_thumb.jp

palms here , lytocaryum wedellianum , chamaedorea ernesti augustii , chamaedorea metalica , chuniophoenix nana , chamaedorea klotzschiana and rhopalostylis probably baurerii var cheesmanii I am not sure I lost the tag .

post-6446-0-79670600-1411393029_thumb.jp post-6446-0-14809200-1411393107_thumb.jp

palms in pots waiting for ground planted , beccariophoenix alfredii , dypsis leptocheilos , ravenea glauca , arenga micrantha , euterpe edulis , wodyetia bifurcata and a prestoea , ground planted mule palm .

post-6446-0-52076000-1411393180_thumb.jp post-6446-0-48062900-1411393290_thumb.jp

Edited by dimitris

Western Greece zone 9b

Thank you Kostantinos ,

it is really crowded and its going to be more crowed in the future , I ll try to get some better photos later !

Western Greece zone 9b

Wow,wow,wooow :drool:

Awesome look,I have to revisit and see it from close!!! Need all the ideas I can get :)

See Konstantinos what our region down there grows? :)

and some more ,

post-6446-0-20444500-1411394409_thumb.jp post-6446-0-64044500-1411394532_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-66268600-1411394636_thumb.jp post-6446-0-17014900-1411394732_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-81010800-1411394851_thumb.jp post-6446-0-06158900-1411395058_thumb.jp

Western Greece zone 9b

post-6446-0-41214500-1411396411_thumb.jp post-6446-0-39843300-1411396472_thumb.jp

billbergia section and an allagoptera arenaria .

post-6446-0-11936200-1411396528_thumb.jp post-6446-0-64892300-1411396726_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-63474100-1411396806_thumb.jp post-6446-0-51282600-1411396881_thumb.jp

potted papayas , ravenea rivularis , chamaerops humilis , macrozamia communis , cycas revoluta variegated and cycas pectinata .

Western Greece zone 9b

last photos ,

post-6446-0-86301600-1411397831_thumb.jp post-6446-0-88522800-1411398215_thumb.jp

trachycarpus fortunei , musa ensete maurelii and variegated cordyline australis .

post-6446-0-28678000-1411397896_thumb.jp post-6446-0-94960600-1411398134_thumb.jp

my tallest archontophoenix alexandrae

post-6446-0-73149900-1411398410_thumb.jp

Thats it , I hope you like it ! Thank you for your time !

Western Greece zone 9b

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dimitri,

Your garden looks fantastic! You´ve created a piece of paradise there!

I see there are a lot of plants in pots. What do you do with them in winter? Do you move them somewhere inside or do you let them outside as they are?

One more question: How many winters did your most tropical plants experience yet? I think of your ptychosperma, chambeyronia and the schefflera...

Keep up the good work and keep us updated ;)

Best

Janni

Hi Janni ,

I am glad you liked my garden , it's a piece of paradise mostly for mosquitoes which the last months are unbearable .

I have built a greenhouse about 12 square meters and bringing about the fifty percent of my potted plants inside from November to late March , it's not a heated greenhouse but I turn on the heater some nights when the temperature is low , not that all of those are marginal in my climate but i want to avoid leaf damage by high winds which usually occur in winter .

The schefflera actinophylla is planted five years now in the ground and it's doing fine , ptychosperma and chambeyronia gonna face their first winter outside this year , I hope they gonna make it .

Here is a photo from last winter , mostly bromeliads were not in and a few palms .

post-6446-0-30326400-1412275993_thumb.jp

And here are some of my newest palms , caryota obtusa , licuala peltata entire leaf , licuala spinosa , dictyosperma album , laccospadix australasica , howea belmoreana , walllichia disticha , chamaedorea hooperiana , verschaffeltia splendida , dypsis cabadae and some more

post-6446-0-27297600-1412276045_thumb.jp

And some annuals cocos nucifera ,

post-6446-0-55342700-1412276199_thumb.jp

I also keep plants in the stairs of my house all year long ,

post-6446-0-45456400-1412276350_thumb.jp

And here is my favorite for now , licuala mapu , this one lives with me in my room , I hope it will grow and live for many years even though it will be a challenge to keep it alive .

post-6446-0-08375500-1412276389_thumb.jp

And some more closer photos of allagoptera caudescens , cryosophilla cuagara , and lytocaryum wedellianum , i asked from Kostantinos .

post-6446-0-47641500-1412276148_thumb.jppost-6446-0-78652800-1412276286_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-35668100-1412276093_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Western Greece zone 9b